Author Topic: Mario Hezonja as a Reclamation Project?  (Read 2345 times)

Re: Mario Hezonja as a Reclamation Project?
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 07:47:13 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Remind me why we need reclamation projects?

I thought we had lots of our own projects....

Re: Mario Hezonja as a Reclamation Project?
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Assuming no better options become available down the road, I'd take a flyer on him with our DPE. Way too early to tell though. I think we will wait until the buyout deadline before we use the DPE.

By the way, there is already a thread about Hezonja.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94149.msg2406776#msg2406776
To me, it makes no sense to use the DPE on a reclamation project that will take time to "reclaim".  I think the DPE should be used on a player who can help right away, this season.  That is the original purpose of the rule, after all.
Agreed. That's why I wrote ''assuming no better options become available down the road''.

What made Hezonja special in his Barcelona days was the fact that he was playing the game with unbelievable confidence (especially given his age at the time). The guy was a cold-blooded assassin. If CBS can boost his confidence once again, I think there still is an NBA-caliber player in there. Hezonja plays a position of need (we kind of need a backup SG). Put him next to Smart in our backcourt and I bet he can be effective once again. CBS would have a few months to evaluate him. Perhaps he salvages his career and we resign him on the cheap next summer (the way we did with Crowder). Call me crazy, but I believe that a change of scenery (playing for a successful organization) might do wonders for him.

Remind me why we need reclamation projects?

I thought we had lots of our own projects....
We don't need reclamation projects. Having said that, it's highly likely that next summer the C's are gonna be a luxury tax team, therefore we are gonna need as much serviceable players on bargain contracts as possible.

As things stand right now, our payroll for the 2018-19 season is $107,433,526. That's without Smart and Baynes. According to Shams Charania, the luxury tax threshold in 2018-19 will fall at approximately $120.8 million.

$120,800,000 - $107,433,526 = $13,366,474 to sign Smart, Baynes, our first rounder and possibly the Lakers first rounder as well.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:48:06 PM by Jvalin »