Author Topic: Who are your top 5 teams in the NBA?  (Read 2752 times)

Re: Who are your top 5 teams in the NBA?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So we lost Hayward and still win.....How good are the rockets minus Harden.

The Rockets have been without Chris Paul, which is a far more apt comparison.

I壇 say Hayward is a fair bit better than Paul at this point in their respective careers, although Harden is better than Hayward.  I知 not sure which comparison is more apt.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 10:16:51 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

I壇 say Hayward is a fair bit better than Paul at this point in their respective careers, although Harden is better than Hayward.  I知 not sure which comparison is more apt.

you mean Harden is better than Kyrie?  ???

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
1. Celtics
2. Celtics
3. Celtics
4. Celtics
5. Celtics

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

not according to basically all the preseason rankings from ESPN, SI, NBA radio, etc.  In fact Paul was a good deal above Hayward on those rankings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Based on the season thus far or where we think the teams will end up when all is said and done, because those are two vastly different things.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Golden State is #1.

I think the Rockets are #2.

The Celts are winning with defense and clutch plays.  I'm not sure how sustainable it is, but they're clearly still one of the best teams in the East.  I'm not sure how they're managing to be so coordinated on both ends of the floor after so much turnover and such a young roster.  It's incredible.  Brad Stevens is the runaway Coach of the Year candidate so far.

After that, it's hard to say exactly.  The other "good" teams have been very up and down.

I don't believe in the Pistons, I don't think the Raptors are better than they've been in the past, and I'm not surprised the Thunder are struggling.  I'm kind of happy they are, actually, because I hate the way they play.  I don't believe in the Magic.

I think the Spurs will be in the mix once Kawhi comes back.

I might actually say the Blazers are the 5th team, considering they're top 5 in defensive efficiency with a significant point differential and two elite scoring guards.  I don't think they will be all season, but the Lillard - CJ - Nurkic trio seems legit.

Agree with the bolded part. Not sure what you see in Portland though.

They're top 5 in defensive efficiency so far this year and are scoring 105+ points per 100, which is solid.  Plus they have Lillard and McCollum to create tough shots.

Defense plus elite individual scoring is a solid basis for a good team.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Pho it is funny. I was really thinking of putting Portland number 5 (along with memphis). Since then they lost to the nets at home. I like their players I just don't think they have something to make a leap to great. If they were playing Memphis in a close game I think they would lose. I also think Denver could pass them.

don't get me wrong, the fact that the Blazers are at #5 on my list says more about how mediocre the rest of the teams that are supposed to be in that second tier have been rather than how good they've been.

the Clips looked awesome at first but have stumbled since then; the Cavs are struggling as we all know; the Nuggets are still figuring things out; the Grizzlies are good but their offense is inconsistent.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2017, 04:23:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Golden State is #1.

I think the Rockets are #2.

The Celts are winning with defense and clutch plays.  I'm not sure how sustainable it is, but they're clearly still one of the best teams in the East.  I'm not sure how they're managing to be so coordinated on both ends of the floor after so much turnover and such a young roster.  It's incredible.  Brad Stevens is the runaway Coach of the Year candidate so far.

After that, it's hard to say exactly.  The other "good" teams have been very up and down.

I don't believe in the Pistons, I don't think the Raptors are better than they've been in the past, and I'm not surprised the Thunder are struggling.  I'm kind of happy they are, actually, because I hate the way they play.  I don't believe in the Magic.

I think the Spurs will be in the mix once Kawhi comes back.

I might actually say the Blazers are the 5th team, considering they're top 5 in defensive efficiency with a significant point differential and two elite scoring guards.  I don't think they will be all season, but the Lillard - CJ - Nurkic trio seems legit.

Agree with the bolded part. Not sure what you see in Portland though.

They're top 5 in defensive efficiency so far this year and are scoring 105+ points per 100, which is solid.  Plus they have Lillard and McCollum to create tough shots.

Defense plus elite individual scoring is a solid basis for a good team.

>so far>

I think that's my problem - IMO the season so far matters very little for making conclusions on a teams advanced stats.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Based on the season thus far or where we think the teams will end up when all is said and done, because those are two vastly different things.

This.  If it's the former then whether you believe in Detroit shouldn't matter, and if it's the latter then teams with bad records that have studs (Cavs, OKC, Bucks) are fair game.  But I think the Warriors, Houston and Boston, and maybe the Spurs should probably be top 5-6 on both lists.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 05:01:43 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
1 GSW
2 BOS
3 HOU
4 Don't know
5 Don't know

I'll take a healthy BOS (less GH) over HOU with CP with Cs having much better D, better net margin, and 5-0 vs 3-3 against teams with a .500+ record. Also, never been a fan of CP or Harden as I think they both have a choke gene. The rest is a mess, but if forced. I'd guess the Spurs would sneak in. The Cavs have real problems but will be dangerous if IT gets back healthy.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2017, 05:14:40 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
GSW
BOS
SAS
HOU
CLE

I believe the 6th team could move in after some kind of a deadline move.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."