Author Topic: Who are your top 5 teams in the NBA?  (Read 2753 times)

Who are your top 5 teams in the NBA?
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:50:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I have

1) Golden State (dominant)
2) Houston (imagine when they get paul back)
3) Celtics (Incredible play without Hayward)
4) Spurs (imagine when they get Leonard back)
5) Pistons (They have beaten Golden State, Minnesota, Clippers, Bucks, got to put them here for now) 

I am interested to see if Bucks, Cavs and Thunder can gel. I think Bucks are most likely to.

Re: Who are your top 5 teams in the NBA?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:20:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Right now we're clear-cut the second best team in the league. I think we're better than Houston even without Hayward, because I think they're a bit overrated.

San Antonio will also be better once Leonard is back, and I can see Cleveland being a top-5 team by the end of the season, though we should still be better.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:36:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
One thing we can all agree on. GSW is 1.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:08 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
One thing we can all agree on. GSW is 1.

yup
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:40:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
tier 1 GSW

tier 2 Cavs, Celtics and Houston - not in the same league as GSW but they could threaten under certain circumstances.

I don't think SAS belongs in that group - if they had a way to make Pau and Parker ten years younger, then sure, but I don't see medicine going this far until the playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 01:06:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
tier 1 GSW

tier 2 Cavs, Celtics and Houston - not in the same league as GSW but they could threaten under certain circumstances.

I don't think SAS belongs in that group - if they had a way to make Pau and Parker ten years younger, then sure, but I don't see medicine going this far until the playoffs.

Kind of curious why you could put in Cleveland at 5-7 with tons of new faces but totally dismiss okc for struggling with their new faces. Adams, Westbrook, Anthony, George is nasty on paper

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 01:17:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
tier 1 GSW

Kind of curious why you could put in Cleveland at 5-7 with tons of new faces but totally dismiss okc for struggling with their new faces. Adams, Westbrook, Anthony, George is nasty on paper

3 finals in a row vs an untested roster

plus, cavs are in the East.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:49:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Golden State is #1.

I think the Rockets are #2.

The Celts are winning with defense and clutch plays.  I'm not sure how sustainable it is, but they're clearly still one of the best teams in the East.  I'm not sure how they're managing to be so coordinated on both ends of the floor after so much turnover and such a young roster.  It's incredible.  Brad Stevens is the runaway Coach of the Year candidate so far.

After that, it's hard to say exactly.  The other "good" teams have been very up and down.

I don't believe in the Pistons, I don't think the Raptors are better than they've been in the past, and I'm not surprised the Thunder are struggling.  I'm kind of happy they are, actually, because I hate the way they play.  I don't believe in the Magic.

I think the Spurs will be in the mix once Kawhi comes back.

I might actually say the Blazers are the 5th team, considering they're top 5 in defensive efficiency with a significant point differential and two elite scoring guards.  I don't think they will be all season, but the Lillard - CJ - Nurkic trio seems legit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 01:55:58 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Golden State is #1.

The Celts are winning with defense and clutch plays.  I'm not sure how sustainable it is, but they're clearly still one of the best teams in the East.  I'm not sure how they're managing to be so coordinated on both ends of the floor after so much turnover and such a young roster.  It's incredible.  Brad Stevens is the runaway Coach of the Year candidate so far.

After that, it's hard to say exactly.  The other "good" teams have been very up and down.

I don't believe in the Pistons, I don't think the Raptors are better than they've been in the past, and I'm not surprised the Thunder are struggling.  I'm kind of happy they are, actually, because I hate the way they play.  I don't believe in the Magic.

I might actually say the Blazers are the 5th team, considering they're top 5 in defensive efficiency with a significant point differential and two elite scoring guards.  I don't think they will be all season, but the Lillard - CJ - Nurkic trio seems legit.

Agree with the bolded part. Not sure what you see in Portland though.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 01:58:25 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Golden State is #1.

Pho it is funny. I was really thinking of putting Portland number 5 (along with memphis). Since then they lost to the nets at home. I like their players I just don't think they have something to make a leap to great. If they were playing Memphis in a close game I think they would lose. I also think Denver could pass them.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm as reticent as anyone to put the Pistons and Magic near the top 5 but beyond their records (#2 and #3 in the East) the Pistons are 7th in offense and 11th defense, the Magic are 11th in offense and 9th in defense, which is about as balanced as anyone in the league.

I'm assuming a lot of this will iron out as the season goes on but no one is top ten in both categories right now. Not even the Warriors.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
So we lost Hayward and still win.....How good are the rockets minus Harden.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 09:27:54 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

The Rockets have been without Chris Paul, which is a far more apt comparison.

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 09:37:21 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
For me its Golden State, Houston, Celtics, Cavs and Spurs. Those are the best teams overall. The Cavs and the Spurs obviously are not currently playing teh best basketball but generally I think they are in top five with full squad.

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 09:48:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

The Rockets dont have CP3 at the moment though.