Poll

Would you approve the rule change where the attacker is suspended until the injured player returns?

Yes
8 (36.4%)
No
12 (54.5%)
It is not that simple to answer with Yes or No, I'll comment.
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Would you approve this rule?  (Read 2087 times)

Would you approve this rule?
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:16:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Chicago Bulls big men Nikola Mirotic and Bobby Portis got into an altercation in practice on Oct. 17. Nikola ended up on the worse end of a fist and was sent to the hospital with several facial fractures.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/10/30/bulls-nikola-mirotic-opts-against-facial-surgery#/
requiring a surgery

After Bobby found out he got suspended for 8 games, without pay, of course, he tried to apologize to Mirotić but was rejected.

Then Bobby said:

To say your dream is taken away from you after you literally fight with your teammate for minutes and put him on the injured list for weeks is beyond dumb to me.

My rule proposal would be;
If a player disables his teammate from competing by deliberately injuring him, that player isn't eligible to play until the injured player/teammate is cleared from the injured list by team's medical staff and that decision is approved by the NBA's medical staff.

The NBA's medical staffs approval IMO is necessary in the cases where for example, a star player hits a benchwarmer and the team fakes that a benchwarmer is cleared to play, even though he is not or psychological doesn't feel ready to play.

I know that teammates will sometimes get overly competitive, it is in the nature of the conflict/sport. I was guilty of it too, I admit that when I was 15, I've put a knee in front of my friend, hit a side part of his knee after he beat me off the dribble, and he missed a week or so with a minor knee contusion. Both of us had the same status then, although I thought he was a bit better, as we were fighting to make the team. I felt really bad afterward and took few valuable lessons from it. I think that a wrong message is sent out to the kids by letting Bobby play before Nikola is game ready.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 04:29:05 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Would you approve this rule?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 06:00:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Nope. It’s unfair to the team and teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
It seems like you're projecting here.

There is no need for a rule. Let teams police themselves in this matter.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
My rule proposal would be;
If a player disables his teammate from competing by deliberately injuring him, that player isn't eligible to play until the injured player/teammate is cleared from the injured list by team's medical staff and that decision is approved by the NBA's medical staff.

Not going to happen.

Chicago Bulls forward Nikola Mirotic reportedly doesn't want to be on the same team as Bobby Portis, who sent Mirotic to the hospital with two broken bones and a concussion after punching him in the face on the first day of the NBA season in October. That's understandable.

But, according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times, Portis likely isn't going anywhere. If it's a Mirotic-or-Portis situation in Chicago, Cowley reports that the Bulls players have made their choice:

According to at least two Bulls players, the ultimatum issued by Nikola Mirotic and his camp that either he or Bobby Portis has to go is carrying zero weight. If anything, it has further entrenched Portis with his teammates with one telling the Sun-Times, "This is Niko's problem now.''

... Portis tried to reach out to Mirotic via text and in a message, but received no response. That's why in talking to Bulls players it's becoming obvious that Mirotic has to go.

The feeling is Portis has done his part to repair things, and the reality of the situation is Portis is looked at by teammates as a guy that has put in all the work this summer, is a better teammate, and is just more liked. Choosing Mirotic over Portis would completely disrupt a chemistry that has been building since the front office made the decision to rebuild by trading Jimmy Butler in June.

Portis, who was suspended for the first eight games of the season by the Bulls because of the incident, made his season debut on Tuesday with 21 points and 13 rebounds in a 119-114 loss to the Toronto Raptors. The Bulls exercised Portis' fourth-year option on Oct. 27, 10 days after the altercation, after the 6-foot-11 forward averaged 6.9 points and 5.0 rebounds in 16.7 minutes per game in his first two seasons with Chicago.

Mirotic has reportedly made it clear to the Bulls that he would welcome a trade, so if Cowley is correct about the locker room sentiment, it appears that Mirotic's days in Chicago are likely numbered. The 6-10 forward averaged 10.8 points and 5.3 rebounds in his three NBA seasons, all with the Bulls.

One problem is that because he re-signed with the Bulls this summer, Mirotic cannot be traded until Jan. 15. The initial diagnosis for Mirotic's recovery was four-to-six weeks, so he'll likely be available to play well before that date. That would leave the Bulls in a situation where they either have to find a way to play both he and Portis together, or let Mirotic collect dust while they await Jan. 15.

Neither situation is ideal for the Bulls, but it's appearing more and more likely that Mirotic will be sent elsewhere in January

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bulls-players-reportedly-side-with-bobby-portis-over-nikola-mirotic-after-incident/

Looks like the team, while admitting Portis was wrong in the attack, thinks he has paid his dues and tried to make things right.

How about this for an idea, let's let men be men.  The NBA has discipline rules in place.   We don't need the nanny state rule.   When I got to game I want to see players, it is bad enough that one guy got knocked out of play with a team mate inflicted injury.   It's even worse if the other one would be knocked out of play due to this proposed rule.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:20 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Nope. It’s unfair to the team and teammates.
You are right Roy, that team would suffer a disadvantage.

My line of thought was more focused toward prevention of similar instances and the statement it would make toward resolving things with brute force, fists.
The NBA made huge strides toward making the game cleaner, with more respect shown towards the fans, opponents and even the referees and I am a fan of those changes and would welcome even more in that direction.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:00:52 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
@Celtics4ever

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/bulls-players-reportedly-side-with-bobby-portis-over-nikola-mirotic-after-incident/

I didn't find the statements in the offered article where the majority of Bulls players are siding with Portis, except that I can conclude that about 75% of the Bulls players are black with a closer background (are Americans) to Portis. Also, they saw him threw haymakers  ;D
I think that Bulls FO found out once again that Portises trade value is low, even lower now after the incident. So the logical move is to trade Mirotić, who at least has some trade value, certainly higher than BP. Also, that way the Bulls PR moves make more sense. Try to rehabilitate Portises value with more minutes, hope he scores well and also winning isn't a priority this year for them.
And from Mirotićs perspective I'd listen to whatever Bulls FO an PR are saying to me since I don't want to play losing basketball for the duration of my next contract when I already got paid.

Quote: How about this for an idea, let's let men be men. The NBA has discipline rules in place.

Your idea of letting the men be men (solving disputes with fists is Manly for many I know, even for a lot of girls. I find closer to the animal behavior, but that's just me) and it usually leads to the NBA implementing new rules in place soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cTZsqxPVHo

EDIT: Obviously, this example is on a much, much bigger scale.
A hyperbole to make a point.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:07:48 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think it depends on the situation.
1) if it's between teammates, it's at the team's discretion.
2) if it's between players on different teams, which to me is the more serious situation, then I could understand this rule.  It would have to be an instance of fighting or deliberately hard contact that injures another player.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What if a team tanks an injury inflicted by a superior player? 
Yup

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
@slamtheking
Excellent and a very fair idea - it would relieve some guys of their roles. Like Frank Brickowskis in the 96 finals.
2) if it's between players on different teams, which to me is the more serious situation, then I could understand this rule.  It would have to be an instance of fighting or deliberately hard contact that injures another player.
I like the out-of-the-box corrupted idea.
The NBA would surely have an investigation in place.
I don't know how others think, but I trust in their detective work and I am convinced that there would be some draconian consequences if any machinations were found out.

"Minnesota - Joe Smith" case, they make one of those and no one ever even thinks about it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 09:14:08 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
I thought it was between different teammates, with deliberate attacks.

It would make sense. Not the way it is presented in the OP.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I would think the refs would apply whatever in-game foul rules apply.  After the game, if it's a situation where the player is out due to an intentional injure/overly-hard foul, the league should have a doctor able to verify the injury.  since there's a potential financial penalty to the offending party, this would have to be a very thorough exam leaving little doubt.  it would have to be a serious physical injury like a concussion, broken bone, torn ligament, etc....

if the player could reasonably play but the team is holding the player out "to play safe" I would think the offending player would be eligible to play at that point.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
If Yabusele takes out Lebron for the rest of the season then I'm all for sacrificing him for the rest of the season as well. haha

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 04:42:57 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
So if I'm competing for a staring spot, I could just literally beat the guy for the job?

Maybe in a contract year...

Jk

Not a fan of injuring one's teammate being rewarded.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Would Baynes have to sit out until Kyrie returns?

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 05:32:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Would Baynes have to sit out until Kyrie returns?

he d go fishing.