Author Topic: Monroe will soon be bought out?  (Read 7006 times)

Re: Monroe will soon be bought out?
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
(why would PHX want to do that?)
They don't have any intention of signing him and want to save some money (if they're above the salary floor) or doing the player/agent a solid to build goodwill. We will see if he stays there all season, a lot depends on if he wants to go to a playoff team towards that deadline.

They also don't really want to win games so there is that.  I guess after a period of showcasing and gauging interest, they may buy him out but I see it as unlikely I guess.

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Monroe has now started 3 games with PHX.  Per36 (I know, the beloved stat), he is 20.6 pts/10.3 rebs in two wins (CHI, LAL) and a loss (HOU).  In one game (the second of a back to back) he played only 16 minutes.

That is a pretty nice audition for teams who might be looking at him.  It does not seem like he will be released (why would PHX want to do that?).  Someone will trade for him.

Monroe makes about $17.9M.  The DPE is $8.4  To get within 125%, we would need to include about $6M in salary, right?  I don't see how that happens.

No.  To get within 125%, we'd have to send out about $14.3 million in salary.  The DPE cannot be combined with other exceptions or outgoing players in order to bring in a higher salaried player
I'm bitter.

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They don't have any intention of signing him and want to save some money (if they're above the salary floor) or doing the player/agent a solid to build goodwill.

If they’re above the salary floor, it’s only by a few hundred thousand dollars, so there isn’t much to be saved there.  As long as Monroe is getting minutes, he won’t lobby too much for a buyout, because he’s getting his chance to show for his next contract.  Phoenix might buy him out after the trade deadline if they’re unable to get a second-rounder for him and they want to give minutes to someone younger, but I wouldn’t expect it before then.  I know people have mentioned December 6th, because they need a roster space for another move at that point, but I don’t see Monroe being the player cleared.

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
They don't have any intention of signing him and want to save some money (if they're above the salary floor) or doing the player/agent a solid to build goodwill.

If they’re above the salary floor, it’s only by a few hundred thousand dollars, so there isn’t much to be saved there.  As long as Monroe is getting minutes, he won’t lobby too much for a buyout, because he’s getting his chance to show for his next contract.  Phoenix might buy him out after the trade deadline if they’re unable to get a second-rounder for him and they want to give minutes to someone younger, but I wouldn’t expect it before then.  I know people have mentioned December 6th, because they need a roster space for another move at that point, but I don’t see Monroe being the player cleared.
Honestly I don't even see why they would buy him out after the trade deadline.  He has played quite well for them and they might actually keep him long term if they like him more then Len (Chriss and Bender are both good fits with him).  Unless he specifically asks out and causes a fuss, I just don't see a reason they would buy him out, and if they keep playing him good minutes, he won't ask out or cause a fuss.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he stays there, folks.

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think he stays there, folks.

Unless the Suns decide that he is detrimental to tanking he stays.

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 06:38:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
If he's bought out, I want him for the last roster spot. He's better than any conceivable DPE candidate. 12-15 minutes for a winner, he'll love it here.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The key point that keeps being forgotten is that they NEED to create a roster spot in order to address James' 2-way contract situation. Obviously they'd like to find a suitor from a trade in order to receive some value, but that reminds dire. Not sure how many teams are eager to deal for Monroe or Chandler considering their contract and knowing the Suns are basically forced to make a deal. Len is the one player I think they'll hold on to through the end of the year unless a team steps up with a solid offer.

Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough reiterated Monday that the team would like to sign guard Mike James to a standard NBA contract before his two-way contract expires on Dec. 6 and he becomes a free agent.

“He’s played well,” McDonough said. “Obviously he got off to a good start and then struggled a little bit two to three weeks ago but recently he’s returned to form and played well and helped us get a couple of wins. We’d still like to get him on the 15-man roster and we’re looking at different ways to do that.”

One way to clear a roster spot is to clear the three-man logjam at center with Tyson Chandler, Greg Monroe and Alex Len all vying for playing time. When the Suns acquired Monroe from the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eric Bledsoe deal, McDonough said he was open to the idea of trading Monroe but that a contract buyout was “less likely.”

Monroe’s expiring contract is a valuable trade chip but, because the Suns want to have cap space in the summer of 2018 to possibly go after a free agent, they likely won’t take salary in return, thus making a deal more complicated.

“There’s different ways to do it, different ways to create a roster spot,” McDonough said. “We’ll look at all of them. I don’t want to say too much about it because people jump to conclusions.”

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2017, 07:02:24 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He d be fantastic addition .

Celtics could play serious BiG or Small ball......We will need him eventually to play Philly and we could punish Warriors and Cavs inside ......OH hed be sweet addition.

CBS would have MORE buttons to push ......Big ones

Do it Danny ......tell wyc to open his pocket book