Author Topic: Monroe will soon be bought out?  (Read 7073 times)

Re: Monroe will soon be bought out?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 09:52:33 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If we are paying vet minimum then why not Monroe?  This team isn't exactly flush with bigs.  After Baynes and Horford we've got exactly 0 guys who are 6'10 or taller who could play the 5.

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
If we are paying vet minimum then why not Monroe?  This team isn't exactly flush with bigs.  After Baynes and Horford we've got exactly 0 guys who are 6'10 or taller who could play the 5.

That's pretty much the point. If it were a big to stretch the floor then a simple option would've been Hawes. It's hard to imagine a player as talented as Monroe would be bought out later in the year and these extra months of integrating him on the squad could pay dividends in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I have no interest in dinosaurs. Whether that's Al Jefferson, Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, or some other post only scoring, non outside shooting, poor defending big man doesn't matter. They don't belong on this team in this system.

Not an up to date depiction of Monroe. He is a good defender, he was the Bucks best defensive traditional big last season. That’s a credit to him working on his game and becoming a good team defender and better in the pick and roll.

He’s a very good passer at the 5, who has never been used that way in Milwaukee. He’s an elite rebounder and he makes his free throws.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 10:45:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no interest in dinosaurs. Whether that's Al Jefferson, Greg Monroe, Jahlil Okafor, or some other post only scoring, non outside shooting, poor defending big man doesn't matter. They don't belong on this team in this system.

Not an up to date depiction of Monroe. He is a good defender, he was the Bucks best defensive traditional big last season. That’s a credit to him working on his game and becoming a good team defender and better in the pick and roll.

He’s a very good passer at the 5, who has never been used that way in Milwaukee. He’s an elite rebounder and he makes his free throws.
He's a good defender like Olynyk was a good defender. Some stats say he is good and positionally he is where he needs to be, but he usually isn't being a real defensive difference maker and generally is being beaten in one on one matchups.

Yes, is passing is better, and is a very good free throw shooter. His rebounding is excellent. But he still doesn't fit this team's system or makeup like Theis and Baynes do. Neither does Okafor.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny is not going to waste that last roster spot on Monroe. He will wait for someone good to surprisingly be bought out then dangle the dpe on them

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 10:55:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

He's a good defender like Olynyk was a good defender. Some stats say he is good and positionally he is where he needs to be, but he usually isn't being a real defensive difference maker and generally is being beaten in one on one matchups.

Yes, is passing is better, and is a very good free throw shooter. His rebounding is excellent. But he still doesn't fit this team's system or makeup like Theis and Baynes do. Neither does Okafor.

Still think you’re underselling the defensive improvement but meh.

Yeah I agree I don’t really see his role. He’s only going to sign somewhere he’ll get minutes, his next contract was supposed to be the ‘screw you’ money contract. I disagree about the defense but I’d be surprised if he got to Boston without assurances he would never get from Brad/Danny.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:05:45 PM by indeedproceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Danny is not going to waste that last roster spot on Monroe. He will wait for someone good to surprisingly be bought out then dangle the dpe on them

Can you give some examples of players you think will be available and superior to Monroe? Should be a really long list so I'll give you some time.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 07:33:56 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Monroe brings a veteran presence which we need for inside game
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Can you give some examples of players you think will be available and superior to Monroe? Should be a really long list so I'll give you some time.
Not directly superior, but filling an 8,4 mil slot with any player just to be ready for a potential AD trade (or other, you never know, see Kyrie) if they self-combust would be a superior use of the DPE in my book.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:28 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Well Monroe got traded to the Suns. Let see if he fits there.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:09 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
It's a shame the NBA has soured so quickly on guys like Monroe. He's always killed us so I have a ton of respect for the guy but like others have stated unsure how he fits in our system.

Are there any NBA teams who like to run with traditional bigs anymore or is everyone going spread?

ok fine

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Not directly superior, but filling an 8,4 mil slot with any player just to be ready for a potential AD trade (or other, you never know, see Kyrie) if they self-combust would be a superior use of the DPE in my book.

Too late for that now.  We would have needed to sign a free agent by yesterday for him to be eligible for inclusion in an Anthony Davis deal.

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Too late for that now.  We would have needed to sign a free agent by yesterday for him to be eligible for inclusion in an Anthony Davis deal.
Shame, that would be such a nice ace our sleeve.
Tnx for the tip.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't get what is not to like about Greg Monroe.  He has been a remarkably consistent and durable player for 8 seasons and is only 27 years old.  With his current contract, there is no way we can get him without him being bought out but if he is, I can't think of anything much better we are going to get for Hayward's DPE.

Others say he won't want to come here or whatever but there is a good chance he would start.  He would definitely have the chance at consistent minutes.  I think a big rotation of Horford, Morris, Monroe, Baynes, with the first 3 getting most of the minutes, is pretty solid.  Yes, he will get fewer shots and need to focus more on defense and rebounding but he may get a chance to play in the finals.  Not too many teams can offer that.

Compare stats for Monroe to Al Horford through 8 seasons, pretty similar.  Now I get it that Horford has developed a 3-pt shot that Monroe does not have but Horford didn't have one either at that point in his career.  I think Monroe can be a very useful big even without a 3-pt shot.  I hope we get him.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Shame, that would be such a nice ace our sleeve.
Tnx for the tip.

Actually, I got it wrong by a couple of days.  The trade deadline is February 8th.  I thought it was February 6th.  We’d have to sign a player 90 days before trading him, so we have through tomorrow.  I still don’t see that happening at this point, but it’s technically not impossible.