Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68742 times)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/932392209445457920

“Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!”

I’m certain President helped get the students out of jail. He’s very confident in this Reiteration. China told him about the punishment so this goes against the ridiculous Washington post article saying it’s only 2 years  in jail

I think you missed this piece from Celtics4ever earlier in the thread (from an si article):

China adopts a similar system for shoplifting, although one with potentially longer prison sentences. According to the Routledge Handbook of Chinese Criminology, minor crimes, such as petty theft and prostitution, are often handled through so-called “administrative punishments.” An administrative punishment is one imposed after the police determine that a person is guilty. A basic administrative punishment is some combination of up to 15 days in jail, fines and warnings.

As an additional type of “administrative punishment” in China, a person accused of petty theft or similar crimes can face “Reeducation through Labor,” or RTL. Such a punishment appears reserved more for repeat offenders. It can carry up to a four-year sentence in a reeducation facility (jail).

While there are serious maximum penalties associated with many crimes in China (like our country), it was always very unrealistic to think that these boys would have spent 5-10 years in prison. Trump did them a favor by putting in a good word for them, but he hardly moved heaven and earth to get them off death row.

This all just needs to go away now. Steve Kerr was right, Lavar and Trump are getting exactly what they want out of this situation. Good for them.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Even if the President did help get them out, the President should never be saying he should have left 3 American citizens, who were college kids that shoplifted, in a Chinese jail if all he had to do was make a phone call.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

“Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!”

I think my favorite part is the guy who just paid a $25 million settlement for defrauding thousands of people with a fake university suggesting petty shoplifters should do 5-10.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I’m certain President helped get the students out of jail. He’s very confident in this Reiteration. China told him about the punishment so this goes against the ridiculous Washington post article saying it’s only 2 years  in jail

Yes, the ridiculous Washington Post article with their 'journalism' and 'sources' and 'established methodology', and 'accountability', and 'thorough background work'. What a buncha loonies! Ridiculous!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:33:00 AM by indeedproceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yes, the ridiculous Washington Post article with their 'journalism' and 'sources' and 'established methodology', and 'accountability', and 'thorough background work'. What a buncha loonies! Ridiculous!

There isn't a media outlet that exists that is above putting out a bogus story to push an agenda. None of their hands are clean, and none of them have entirely pure intentions.

Maybe WaPo is correct here, maybe they're not, I don't even really care anymore. Journalism has unfortunately become just another profession where the people who enter it are only out for their own self-serving interests and is generally populated by shady individuals.

I don't trust any of them, not very much.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I think you missed this piece from Celtics4ever earlier in the thread (from an si article):

China adopts a similar system for shoplifting, although one with potentially longer prison sentences. According to the Routledge Handbook of Chinese Criminology, minor crimes, such as petty theft and prostitution, are often handled through so-called “administrative punishments.” An administrative punishment is one imposed after the police determine that a person is guilty. A basic administrative punishment is some combination of up to 15 days in jail, fines and warnings.

As an additional type of “administrative punishment” in China, a person accused of petty theft or similar crimes can face “Reeducation through Labor,” or RTL. Such a punishment appears reserved more for repeat offenders. It can carry up to a four-year sentence in a reeducation facility (jail).

While there are serious maximum penalties associated with many crimes in China (like our country), it was always very unrealistic to think that these boys would have spent 5-10 years in prison. Trump did them a favor by putting in a good word for them, but he hardly moved heaven and earth to get them off death row.

This all just needs to go away now. Steve Kerr was right, Lavar and Trump are getting exactly what they want out of this situation. Good for them.
the si article is wrong

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
11/22
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/933280234220134401
"It wasn’t the White House, it wasn’t the State Department, it wasn’t father LaVar’s so-called people on the ground in China that got his son out of a long term prison sentence - IT WAS ME. Too bad! LaVar is just a poor man’s version of Don King, but without the hair. Just think..
LaVar, you could have spent the next 5 to 10 years during Thanksgiving with your son in China, but no NBA contract to support you. But remember LaVar, shoplifting is NOT a little thing. It’s a really big deal, especially in China. Ungrateful fool!"

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
11/22
"It wasn’t the White House, it wasn’t the State Department, it wasn’t father LaVar’s so-called people on the ground in China that got his son out of a long term prison sentence - IT WAS ME. Too bad! LaVar is just a poor man’s version of Don King, but without the hair. Just think..
LaVar, you could have spent the next 5 to 10 years during Thanksgiving with your son in China, but no NBA contract to support you. But remember LaVar, shoplifting is NOT a little thing. It’s a really big deal, especially in China. Ungrateful fool!"

How Presidential.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
11/22

How Presidential.
no politically correct filter . I like the  don king comparison

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
11/22

How Presidential.

I am not sure I understand.  Are you saying that this tweet makes you think more highly of Pres. Trump and/or that this is an indication that he is doing the job of president in the manner that you think a president should?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
11/22

How Presidential.

I am not sure I understand.  Are you saying that this tweet makes you think more highly of Pres. Trump and/or that this is an indication that he is doing the job of president in the manner that you think a president should?
both but who declared what they should and shouldn't do? Each president has a different personality 

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
11/22

How Presidential.

both but who declared what they should and shouldn't do? Each president has a different personality

Right. What's your point?

For example if President Ainge signs an executive order saying that LA lose all their first round picks for the next 100 years, you would probably think that there is something a little off right?

Maybe you may even think that he is not really concentrating on what he should be.

Nah, Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. it, Danny has a personality that is quirky, and he has our interests at heart, so who cares?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Each voter gets to declare this when they vote.  That is what democracy is.  No one decides for you.  I was just trying to clarify what you specifically felt about it.  I am not judging you, you have every right to feel however you want about our President's childish tweets.  Just as I have a right to feel they are childish and an embarrassment to the office.

Trump isn't perfect, no one is, certainly not politicians.  I like Obama but I thought he was dump to stick his nose into that incident in Cambridge where the police gave a professor a hard time when they saw him trying to break into his own home.  Obama looked bad shooting off his mouth before he knew the facts in that specific case.  You can say, "I like Trump but think this is dumb".

I think this tweet from Trump is really really really really dumb and a continuation of a pattern of actions that I think is counter to what the president should be doing.  I am certainly not cheering him on; whoo hooo, Trump is not politically correct, awesome; which I think is what you are saying.  You are not alone, there are plenty of supporters who feel the same, I just don't feel the same.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 12:22:01 PM by Vermont Green »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
11/22

How Presidential.
if ever there were 2 morons in more need of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. slap than these 2, I don't know who they'd be.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
11/22

How Presidential.
if ever there were 2 morons in more need of a **** slap than these 2, I don't know who they'd be.

I’m so glad they turned on each other, it’s like an early Xmas gift, soooo entertaining!