Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68753 times)

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Still doesn't excuse Trump's behavior.  A President should be above that type of interaction.

Why? Because we expect presidents to be "diplomatic" phonies? I find Trump's lack of decorum refreshing.
ha

trump isn't a phony?
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
As usual, the problem is that our POTUS is a narcissistic liar.

He didn't save anyone.
Nobody was going to jail for 10 years for shoplifting. This is China, not North Korea.
In an alternate universe where he did anything, you don't go on Twitter and whine about kids giving you thanks.

I can't stand the reality TV show that is LaVar Ball, but Trump is full of (you know what). The Ball's don't owe Trump anything other than disdain for trying to take credit for the situation.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This guy always has to say something doesn't he
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Still doesn't excuse Trump's behavior.  A President should be above that type of interaction.

Why? Because we expect presidents to be "diplomatic" phonies? I find Trump's lack of decorum refreshing.

Same here.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Nobody was going to jail for 10 years for shoplifting.

Oh really? You sure? How about three years?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

where, may i ask, are you coming up with these numbers? as was already established in another thread, some parts of the US have more draconic laws than China. currently, there are about 360 people serving life sentences for minor shoplifting due to "three strikes" laws in the US.

i wish trump would intervene on their behalf.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

where, may i ask, are you coming up with these numbers? as was already established in another thread, some parts of the US have more draconic laws than China. currently, there are about 360 people serving life sentences for minor shoplifting due to "three strikes" laws in the US.

The Washington Post had this:

The sunglasses in the Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou are priced at or around 4,900 yuan ($750). According to Chinese law, anyone stealing goods worth between 4,000 and 7,000 yuan faces between one and two years in jail, although the sentence can be mitigated if they confess, show remorse and pay compensation.

So, no, not 10 years, but one or two is no joke.

As for three strikes, do you know what the other two strikes were in those 360 cases?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Question for the Pro-Trumpers -

If it was Presidents Obama, Bush or even Hillary do you think that THEY would've responded as Pres. Trump did?

IDK...none of them ever had to deal with Lavar.  He's a unique beast.  I would have settled with China by letting them imprison Lavar for life, at our cost (joking).

lol you don't mean this.

CelticsBlog would miss Lavar Ball...I seriously believe that.

Between the "Smart can't shoot" threads and the like we wouldn't have ANY conversation pieces with Lavar gone.

Lavar is like the Kardashian's, they are people who satiate our penchant for gossip and drama.  But those aren't exactly redeeming traits of our society.

Lavar is a blight on our society, I'd be happy if he just disappeared.  Not saying I want harm to come to him, but he really needs to go away.
exactly. Any attention is good attention to lavar, whether it’s positive or negative.

LaVar is just trolling the president. If he says nothing the story goes away. By saying what he did everyone is talking about it. It’s trending. It’s on ESPN’s home page. Yahoo’s. LaVar is playing this for all it’s worth. 

And Trump is showing his true, thin-skinned self instead of worrying about making America suck again.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Root for the meteor.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:27:34 AM by fairweatherfan »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

The sunglasses in the Louis Vuitton store in Hangzhou are priced at or around 4,900 yuan ($750). According to Chinese law, anyone stealing goods worth between 4,000 and 7,000 yuan faces between one and two years in jail, although the sentence can be mitigated if they confess, show remorse and pay compensation.

As for three strikes, do you know what the other two strikes were in those 360 cases?
how do they know which sunglasses were stolen? China doesn’t have public police records like the US does. For all we know the glasses could have cost more than 7000 yuan, surely they offer different prices.  Also, a Lawyer told Yahoo sports that they face 10 years :  https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

I believe Yahoo over Jeff Bezos-owned Amazon Washington Post
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:49:13 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Trump vs Lavar Ball; I just don't know who to root for.

Mike

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

how do they know which sunglasses were stolen? China doesn’t have public policerecords like the US does. For all we know the glasses could have cost more than 7000 yuan, hey surely offer different prices on glasses. Also, a Lawyer told Yahoo sports that they face 10 years :  https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

I believe yahoo over Jeff Bezos-owned Amazon Washington Post

Offline Grindfather

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • First Team All-Defense
Trump vs Lavar Ball; I just don't know who to root for.

Mike

Put in those terms, I’m rooting for China.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/932392209445457920

“Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!”

I’m certain President helped get the students out of jail. He’s very confident in this Reiteration. China told him about the punishment so this goes against the ridiculous Washington post article saying it’s only 2 years  in jail

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
So sad!