Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68818 times)

Re: LiAngelo Ball arrested in China (update: Trump asks President Xi to help)
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2017, 11:14:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm a little curious about something. Are the people that were like "Oh gee. It's just way too mean to put these kids in jail for this" going to say "I'm so glad Trump intervened. He really came through"?

Is that gonna happen?

Nope.

See my post above.

Trust. It's it takes time to build.
True. But isn't credit owed where credit is due?  Hey I don't think he should have intervened, but that's just me

Ok. Thanks, Mr. Trump - for intervening in this when - at least on the surface - you "HAD" to.

The main thing here is that they are HOME and SAFE.

But credit = trust.

"Tell those SOBs to STAND UP!!!" (National Anthem).

How he handled Puerto Rico.

"There are good people - on BOTH SIDES" (my good home state of Virginia - in CHARLOTTESVILLE).

Other instances where you and I PM'd each other on, Eja. You know what that is.

Trust. It's just not there.
Why do you think Trump had to intervene in this?

« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2017, 11:15:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'm a little curious about something. Are the people that were like "Oh gee. It's just way too mean to put these kids in jail for this" going to say "I'm so glad Trump intervened. He really came through"?

Is that gonna happen?

Nope.

See my post above.

True. But isn't credit owed where credit is due?  Hey I don't think he should have intervened, but that's just me

Ok. Thanks, Mr. Trump - for intervening in this when - at least on the surface - you "HAD" to.

But credit = trust.

"There are good people - on BOTH SIDES" (my good home state of Virginia - in CHARLOTTESVILLE).

don't you think most Americans who voted in trump disagree? Like the anthem position of trump.  After trump called for a NFL boycott, nfl viewership plummeted so hard the owners started enforcing a anthem standing policy.. Jones is actually suing goodell over this mess which caused nfl businesses to lose viewership/money

« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:44 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Is that gonna happen?

Nope.

See my post above.

But credit = trust.

don't you think most Americans who voted in trump disagree? Like the anthem position of trump.  After trump called for a NFL boycott, nfl viewership plummeted so hard the owners started enforcing a anthem standing policy.. Jones is actually suing goodell over this mess which caused nfl businesses to lose viewership/money

So you're going to tell me that 63 million Americans approved of what I just posted above?

If this is true then God help this country.

« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2017, 11:27:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Is that gonna happen?

Nope.

See my post above.

But credit = trust.

Why do you think Trump had to intervene in this?

C'mon Eja...are you being real here or facetious?

Your PM's to me over the Chief of Staff's Civil War comments showed that at least YOU had some understanding - or I hope you just weren't trying to placate me.

To try my best to answer your question - He did NOT have to intervene. But he chose to - perhaps out of the requests of his staff or others.

I believe Mr. Trump has some good in him. I also see other stuff that concerns me.

Again - TRUST. It's built over time - by words, actions and deeds.

« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2017, 11:41:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you want to discuss Trump, do it in the Current Events forum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Trump helped the UCLA guy’s because they faced 10 years  in prison. That is no joke.
May I ask where you read that the players faced ten years in jail?
https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

I meant prison not jail
3 to 10 is not 10. Also, as we've already seen, even in MA you can get 5 years for felony larceny.
isnt felony larceny basically grand theft? It’s not surprising you can get 5 years for stealing something worth a lot of money
Yeah, but the definition of "a lot of money" differs under different state statutes. It's as little as $250 in MA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A criminal offense like shoplifting can carry a punishment of up to 10 years in prison in China.

https://newsone.com/3757629/china-shoplifting-laws-liangelo-ball-arrested-punishment/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2743080-liangelo-ball-reportedly-could-face-3-10-years-in-jail-for-shoplifting-in-china

https://sports.yahoo.com/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

China adopts a similar system for shoplifting, although one with potentially longer prison sentences. According to the Routledge Handbook of Chinese Criminology, minor crimes, such as petty theft and prostitution, are often handled through so-called “administrative punishments.” An administrative punishment is one imposed after the police determine that a person is guilty. A basic administrative punishment is some combination of up to 15 days in jail, fines and warnings.

As an additional type of “administrative punishment” in China, a person accused of petty theft or similar crimes can face “Reeducation through Labor,” or RTL. Such a punishment appears reserved more for repeat offenders. It can carry up to a four-year sentence in a reeducation facility (jail).

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/11/07/liangelo-ball-ucla-china-shoplifting-arrest-jail

Looks like I am the only one in this conversation that has read up on it.

« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!“

I still find the whole situation crazy because Big Baller Brand I believe has a distribution deal with wzk, a popular shoe retailer in China.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:22:33 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2017, 05:26:27 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2017, 05:44:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Players press conference

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21424183/ucla-bruins-players-suspended-indefinitely-china-shoplifting-incident

They thanked trump for the help
University seems to be going light on the punishment. Suspended from team but sounds like they could be back soon if they behave. At least that's the impression I got.

« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Players press conference

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21424183/ucla-bruins-players-suspended-indefinitely-china-shoplifting-incident

They thanked trump for the help
University seems to be going light on the punishment. Suspended from team but sounds like they could be back soon if they behave. At least that's the impression I got.

My impression is that they’re suspended while it proceeds through the school judiciary process, and after that is done the athletic department/team may or may not choose to levy any additional punishment.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Update:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/932303108146892801

"Now that the three basketball players are out of China and saved from years in jail, LaVar Ball, the father of LiAngelo, is unaccepting of what I did for his son and that shoplifting is no big deal. I should have left them in jail!""

Trump says lavar doesn't accept that trump saved his kid from years in jail and that lavar is unthankful. Trump says he should have left them in jail

I agree with president trump. Trump didnt have to do anything, he did. A huge favor saving the players from a super harsh prison  system in China. They faced 10 years being locked up. Ball family seems entitled

"Who?" LaVar Ball had told ESPN's Arash Markazi on Friday when asked about Trump's involvement in the matter. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:35:39 PM by CelticsElite »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
edit

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
When there are two idiots always crying for attention (Trump and Lavar) and you don't like siding with either lol.

But ofc, Trump did save LiAngelo and his buddies from big jail time...so a little appreciation would suffice, no?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
When there are two idiots always crying for attention (Trump and Lavar) and you don't like siding with either lol.

But ofc, Trump did save LiAngelo and his buddies from big jail time...so a little appreciation would suffice, no?
exactly

Here's what lavar said
"Who?" LaVar Ball told ESPN on Friday, when asked about Trump's involvement in the matter. "What was he over there for? Don't tell me nothing. Everybody wants to make it seem like he helped me out."

"As long as my boy's back here, I'm fine," LaVar Ball told ESPN. "I'm happy with how things were handled. A lot of people like to say a lot of things that they thought happened over there. Like I told him, 'They try to make a big deal out of nothing sometimes.' I'm from L.A. I've seen a lot worse things happen than a guy taking some glasses. My son has built up enough character that one bad decision doesn't define him. Now if you can go back and say when he was 12 years old he was shoplifting and stealing cars and going wild, then that's a different thing.

"Everybody gets stuck on the negativity of some things and they get stuck on them too long. That's not me. I handle what's going on and then we go from there."

Lavar is basically acting like his son didn't commit any crime  and that the president didn't help. His son admitted to stealing in the press conference.  There is no doubt the President helped them as all three of the students thanked him. It must have really killed Lavar balls ego to need Donald Trump's help. Just thank the president and move on.