Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68524 times)

Re: LiAngelo Ball arrested in China
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
lol I doubt that there's ANY truth to this, once everything comes to light.

Is there any evidence to believe it’s not true?

China is one of the most visited countries in the world. Tourism is a big part of their economy. I don’t think there’s a huge motive to fabricate this, but time will tell.
It's probably not true, Chinese people are the worst to have around you, the claims are probably fabricated by some money starving shop (as an HKer I hear about this stuff a lot, eg. if you help a woman who "fainted" on the road you're probably gonna get charged for "stealing" her imaginary stuff/sexually assaulting her), but the good thing is that Chinese courts are very complicated...imo with the Ball family getting so much media attention, some under the table money would get Gelo off scot free.

my parents are HKers as well and I do hear a lot about these also. With that said, I am also on the line of, these kids are playing ball in China with their school, so they are pretty well represented . I think the chances of this story being fabricated is not likely even given the relationship between the US or China. China is not a 3rd world country, it's booming in economy and is a huge tourist destination, I don't believe this has to do with that. Even if that was the case, I would assume this to happen to a nobody or regular tourist and not a student athlete.
I think it's very possible, the stories that fly around about Chinese people doing literally anything for money are well documented and the kids being well known only helps them to get a bit more dough. Btw it's not the Chinese gov I'm talking about, it's the shop that got "shoplifted".

Wasn’t it a Louis Vuitton retail shop in a luxury area? I doubt they’re that desperate to make a buck.

And please be careful about stereotypes regarding “Chinese people”.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2017, 11:26:47 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Apparently they have surveillance footage of them shoplifting from 3 high-end stores.  Of course, they probably found the goods they stole too.  What a bunch of idiots. 

It'll be interesting to see how UCLA handles this.  To do this on a team trip to a foreign country, I'd probably dismiss them from the team assuming the story is accurate.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-ucla-players-stole-from-three-stores-in-china-will-not-fly-back-with-team/ar-BBEPFId?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp

« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2017, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Apparently they have surveillance footage of them shoplifting from 3 high-end stores.  Of course, they probably found the goods they stole too.  What a bunch of idiots. 

It'll be interesting to see how UCLA handles this.  To do this on a team trip to a foreign country, I'd probably dismiss them from the team assuming the story is accurate.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-ucla-players-stole-from-three-stores-in-china-will-not-fly-back-with-team/ar-BBEPFId?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=ientp
I did some dumb things in college, but this is monumental.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2017, 11:43:09 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I hope they are punished but not in China where the penalty for this is way disproportionate to the crime
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I hope they are punished but not in China where the penalty for this is way disproportionate to the crime

Being that it is a member of the Ball family involved life in prison without parole sounds fair. I think as part of the punishment, the rest of the family should also be sent to spend the rest of their lives in a Chinese prison. I mean, China would be doing the world a favor.

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

But he allegedly committed the crime in China. That is the proper jurisdiction.

Caught on video tape no less.

While Chinese law far tougher, the Ali Baba influence should diminish any sentencing to a slap on the wrist.

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
If he was arrested under Sharia Law his hand would be cut off...

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2017, 01:53:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

really?

The maximum sentence for stealing goods in China varies, depending on the value of what has been alleged to be stolen. Stealing goods worth between 1,000 and 2,500 yuan ($150 to $380), for example, comes with a maximum sentence of six months but could result in merely a fine.

Anyone convicted of stealing goods for more than that amount, however, would face jail time. Someone convicted of stealing goods worth between 7,000 and 10,000 yuan ($1,050 to $1,510) would face between two and three years in jail under Chinese law.

Louis Vuitton men’s sunglasses cost $435 to $1,990, according to the company’s U.S. website.

and in california...

According to statistics from the California Department of Corrections, thousands of individuals are serving life sentences under California's three strikes law for nonviolent third strikes—in fact, 360 individuals in California are serving life sentences for shoplifting small amounts of merchandise. California is one of twenty-six states nationally with a three strikes law, but California's is the harshest in that the third strike need not be a serious or violent felony-any felony, even shoplifting, can be the basis for a life sentence.

https://www.americanbar.org/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/human_rights_vol31_2004/winter2004/irr_hr_winter04_shoplifting.html
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:58:28 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2017, 01:57:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
only the nut cases. the vast majority of muslims do not do this. sigh.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

really?

The maximum sentence for stealing goods in China varies, depending on the value of what has been alleged to be stolen. Stealing goods worth between 1,000 and 2,500 yuan ($150 to $380), for example, comes with a maximum sentence of six months but could result in merely a fine.

Anyone convicted of stealing goods for more than that amount, however, would face jail time. Someone convicted of stealing goods worth between 7,000 and 10,000 yuan ($1,050 to $1,510) would face between two and three years in jail under Chinese law.

Louis Vuitton men’s sunglasses cost $435 to $1,990, according to the company’s U.S. website.

and in california...

According to statistics from the California Department of Corrections, thousands of individuals are serving life sentences under California's three strikes law for nonviolent third strikes—in fact, 360 individuals in California are serving life sentences for shoplifting small amounts of merchandise. California is one of twenty-six states nationally with a three strikes law, but California's is the harshest in that the third strike need not be a serious or violent felony-any felony, even shoplifting, can be the basis for a life sentence.

https://www.americanbar.org/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/human_rights_vol31_2004/winter2004/irr_hr_winter04_shoplifting.html
2 to 3 years in jail for shop lifting is incredibly harsh. That is the point I was making. I think I read somewhere the value stolen woild be a 3 to 10 year sentence under Chinese law. That is just way to harsh.  It doesn't excuse the offense bit of rather see an American level penalty
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 02:38:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
do you have a source for the “vast majority” statement? Last I checked 12 Muslim countries follow sharia law including Saudi Arabia

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
do you have a source for the “vast majority” statement? Last I checked 12 Muslim countries follow sharia law including Saudi Arabia
First source: not being an ostrich and actually having a clue what the heck is going on in the rest of the world.

Second source: a literature review from the proceeds of a recent symposium on amputation surgery and rehabilitation. There are 5-6 countries listed, most of them would be habitually described as "Third World".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4160514/
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

really?

and in california...

2 to 3 years in jail for shop lifting is incredibly harsh. That is the point I was making. I think I read somewhere the value stolen woild be a 3 to 10 year sentence under Chinese law. That is just way to harsh.  It doesn't excuse the offense bit of rather see an American level penalty
No sympathy for thieves. None.

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2017, 08:46:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I just want to point out Hangzhou China is Boston's sister city. Nobody messes with my sister city. Nobody. Especially not some Laker loving punk.

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2017, 09:49:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

that would make basketball slightly more challenging