Author Topic: Ball arrested in China (UPDATE 11/22: Trump- “Lavar is a poor mans Don King”)  (Read 68515 times)

Re: LiAngelo Ball arrested in China
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
lol I doubt that there's ANY truth to this, once everything comes to light.

Is there any evidence to believe it’s not true?

China is one of the most visited countries in the world. Tourism is a big part of their economy. I don’t think there’s a huge motive to fabricate this, but time will tell.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 11:06:18 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

China is one of the most visited countries in the world. Tourism is a big part of their economy. I don’t think there’s a huge motive to fabricate this, but time will tell.
It's probably not true, Chinese people are the worst to have around you, the claims are probably fabricated by some money starving shop (as an HKer I hear about this stuff a lot, eg. if you help a woman who "fainted" on the road you're probably gonna get charged for "stealing" her imaginary stuff/sexually assaulting her), but the good thing is that Chinese courts are very complicated...imo with the Ball family getting so much media attention, some under the table money would get Gelo off scot free.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 11:17:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Greenfaith...you have always been a stand up guy in my book, I think you know that. I have great respect for your posts here. And yes, we should all wait for all the reports to come out in this case but, respectfully, I think you are reading more into this than there is. I think its pretty easy to see that a group of teenagers did something terribly stupid in a foreugn country.

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 11:20:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Hong Kong is beautiful. People there are generally nice.

Each time we pulled in we HAD to go out with a buddy, and the more the merrier. This rule discouraged stuff like this from happening  - whether it was foreign opportunists, a shop looking to frame us, a shipmate drinking too much or acting stupid, or the like.

As Americans overseas we have a narrow window to operate in.

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

It's probably not true, Chinese people are the worst to have around you, the claims are probably fabricated by some money starving shop (as an HKer I hear about this stuff a lot, eg. if you help a woman who "fainted" on the road you're probably gonna get charged for "stealing" her imaginary stuff/sexually assaulting her), but the good thing is that Chinese courts are very complicated...imo with the Ball family getting so much media attention, some under the table money would get Gelo off scot free.

my parents are HKers as well and I do hear a lot about these also. With that said, I am also on the line of, these kids are playing ball in China with their school, so they are pretty well represented . I think the chances of this story being fabricated is not likely even given the relationship between the US or China. China is not a 3rd world country, it's booming in economy and is a huge tourist destination, I don't believe this has to do with that. Even if that was the case, I would assume this to happen to a nobody or regular tourist and not a student athlete.

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2017, 11:29:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Greenfaith...you have always been a stand up guy in my book, I think you know that. I have great respect for your posts here. And yes, we should all wait for all the reports to come out in this case but, respectfully, I think you are reading more into this than there is. I think its pretty easy to see that a group of teenagers did something terribly stupid in a foreugn country.

This is what I'm fearing but I'm holding out hope.

If they did it, then they should suffer the consequences.

If not, then they'll be set free and go on about their lives.

And the sad thing is that no apologies will be given - as is the case most of the time.

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:58 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Breaking the law while in the US....not gonna end well.

Breaking the law while in another country....possibly disasterous. Just about the stupidest thing you can do if you're a US citizen.

Yeah. If they did this, it’s an incredibly bad decision. 

It’s probably antiquated, but I buy into the idea of acting like a guest in a foreign country. Respect their laws and customs and act humble.

Yes, acting like a good guest everywhere you go is very good advice. Manners get you a long way in this world.

Nah, when I go to a foreign country I eat at McDonalds and tell all the locals how lame they are.

:)

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 01:08:48 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
Breaking the law while in the US....not gonna end well.

Breaking the law while in another country....possibly disasterous. Just about the stupidest thing you can do if you're a US citizen.

Yeah. If they did this, it’s an incredibly bad decision. 

It’s probably antiquated, but I buy into the idea of acting like a guest in a foreign country. Respect their laws and customs and act humble.

Yes, acting like a good guest everywhere you go is very good advice. Manners get you a long way in this world.

Nah, when I go to a foreign country I eat at McDonalds and tell all the locals how lame they are.

:)

That's how POTUS does...

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 01:11:35 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He could be facing 3-10 years in prison: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/07/report-arrested-ucla-players-in-china-could-face-prison-time/

Nice job committing crime in a harsh punishing communist country

« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Lavar Ball's son got what he deserved- shoplifting.

His other son is about to get the defeat of a lifetime tomorrow. "Lonzo Wednesday" headline...pure disrespect to my Celtics and that is unacceptable.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:21 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He could be facing 3-10 years in prison: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/11/07/report-arrested-ucla-players-in-china-could-face-prison-time/

Nice job committing crime in a harsh punishing communist country

Yeah, that won't happen.

I don't think China has any interest in making a spectacle here.  It wouldn't be a very smart move.  More likely China makes them pay restitution, and tell them never to come back.

« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2017, 01:44:38 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is what I'm fearing but I'm holding out hope.

If they did it, then they should suffer the consequences.

If not, then they'll be set free and go on about their lives.

And the sad thing is that no apologies will be given - as is the case most of the time.

Now they are saying that Lavar ball is shooting the TV show a hundred miles away in China this makes me think that it's all a publicity stunt.

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2017, 02:42:01 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Im kinda trying to imagine how LaVar is going to try to talk/tweet his way out of this.

"If my kid were actually a shop lifter he'd never have been caught. He'd be the best shop lifter ever."

"I myself shop lifted $2 million dollars of shoes in China once. It's no big deal."

"LiAngelo wouldn't shop lift cause I never showed him how. I prioritized his jumper, which is why he has the best jumper in college ball Day 1"

"The President of China Trump-Li has called me to apologize for all this"

"Ain't never gonna order take out again. #boycottChina #FreeLiAngelo"

"LiAngelo tells me he didn't do it and his friends were just trying to find ways to pay for their text books #payathletes"

"Can't believe I'm gonna have to fly 80 hours nonstop to China to straighten this all out. Is AirForceOne available?"
Hahaha, TP those are funny.

I'll try to continue:

"My boy is already leading the league in steals"

"Nobody does prison like my son"

And my favorite:

"Son, remember when you are in China if it's not labeled Big Baller Brand, it doesn't deserve a price tag."

Lavar should rebrand Big Baller Brand to Big Burglar Brand after this ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2017, 04:08:46 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
One thing is evident, Big Baller Brand boy sure has some Big Balls to shoplift in China.
Staying true to his brand until prison separates them.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2017, 05:07:05 AM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Lavar trying to downplay the situation, lol:
LaVar Ball commented the arrest of his son: "He'll be fine," he said. "Everyone's making it a big deal. It ain't that big a deal."
Jack of all trades, master of none.