Author Topic: To the Hayward naysayers  (Read 4163 times)

Re: To the Hayward naysayers
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I just wish he played better in the big games
Well he did have 21/13/4 and take over at a key moment in the game against the Clippers and 29 against Miami and was their lead scorer in the loss to Houston. As has been said before, he first tries to get everyone else involved and then look for his own shot if no one else is getting it done.

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I just wish he played better in the big games
Well he did have 21/13/4 and take over at a key moment in the game against the Clippers and 29 against Miami and was their lead scorer in the loss to Houston. As has been said before, he first tries to get everyone else involved and then look for his own shot if no one else is getting it done.

Yeah, he’s getting slack for  right way. With brown Tatum and walker some one needs to get guys going and keep the bull moving. Smart said we haven’t seen him turn it on yet.  Which if true, the playoffs may be fun.

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 06:29:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Look at his game splits

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4249/gordon-hayward

Philly has his number as of late.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Look at his game splits

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/4249/gordon-hayward

Philly has his number as of late.

You're still wrong. He has plenty more good games against good teams than that.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hayward is 2 made 3 pointers and 2 free throws away from being 50/40/90 at the break. 

Looking forward to the playoff where he is the All time leading playoff free throw percentage leader in history with players over 125 attempts. 

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 09:14:01 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hayward is 2 made 3 pointers and 2 free throws away from being 50/40/90 at the break. 

Looking forward to the playoff where he is the All time leading playoff free throw percentage leader in history with players over 125 attempts.
The one area of game that's shown a clear decline is his ability to get to the line. Especially against non-mismatches. (He can still torture the Duncan Robinson's of the world)

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »

Online timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I love the dude....hope he stays in BOS long-term. He was supposed to be a part of THIS Big Three

Reportedly as a player sought out by Kyrie himself, IIRC..

Then THAT Big Three became this

And - while we WISHED that The Jays would be All-Stars one day we NOW have a CERTAIN future of All-Star appearances of these two....and of course Kyrie and Al are no longer with us and are enemies.

I certainly did not see THAT coming.

A couple of years ago I doubted that The Young Jays would be The Celtics Future. I think this is NOW becoming a certainty.

Here's hoping that our "GLUE" can remain in BOS as well, in Gordon Hayward. We are better with him....contracts not considered.

I don't spend Wyc's money, of course, but IIRC I remember him stating that he'd spend for a contender......"IF" this team makes it to June and COMPETES....even IF we lose in June....I hope we can keep EVERYONE somehow.

Me too.  I still feel fortunate that he's a C. 

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21

The one area of game that's shown a clear decline is his ability to get to the line. Especially against non-mismatches. (He can still torture the Duncan Robinson's of the world)

I just looked at the stats and he is averaging 9.9 drives per game which is just out of top 50.  So I feel there are a few things at play with the low FTs.  One is he has that nice signature move where he stops and pivots on the back foot. So he doesn't go all the way in and stops to work his mid-range game.  Second, he drives to kick out to 3 point shooters (probably bad or part of game plan). I would like to see less of this, but it feeds the other guys which isn't that bad.  Third, He doesn't get a lot of calls (it seems) when he drives. Mostly people hacking at his arms.  Fourth, he doesn't have the lift and desire at this point to initiate too much contact in the air which may lead to the calls.  But I am ok with the fourth one for now since we want health and the team is doing well.  I expect he will become more physical in the playoffs.

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 10:40:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
He's always had that mid range shot though and been a willing passer. I don't think those explain why he's just drawing fewer shooting fouls.

I think he's just less explosive and able to finish through contact. He's a few years older and has a foot injury (and his catastrophic ankle injury two years ago), so its not a huge surprise. But its the one big area where he's not matching his all-star production.

His last year in Utah he exploded through defenders a lot more trying to dunk on them or finish strong. Just doesn't have that same aggression or hops in my eyes.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 10:41:07 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Any update on Hayward's ankle since he got that cortisone shot about a month or so ago?

Are you talking about this?
"He just has a toe/foot (injury). It's right there where your toe connects with your foot," Ainge told "Toucher & Rich." "But it's just some pain, and we're trying to figure out what it is.

"He had a cortisone shot (Friday) hoping that that would make it better, but it actually made it worse. So, we're trying to figure all that out. But nobody knows exactly what the issue is."

That's not a very encouraging update considering Hayward first got an MRI on the foot a few weeks ago while he was sidelined with a hand injury.

Blakely's C's-Mavs Takeaways: Kemba delivers when it matters
Ainge insisted Hayward's foot injury was in no way related to the dislocated ankle he suffered two years ago, but suggested Hayward may have made his foot worse while rehabbing from that hand injury.

"He was doing a lot of work. Maybe he was doing too much work, even. I'm not sure," Ainge said. "But again, I don't know the answer to that. I don't think Gordon knows exactly what caused it."

Yep, that one!  Thanks.

I thought it was an injection into his ankle.  Looks like it was a toe injury-- which hopefully isn't related to overccompensation due to the previous ankle dislocation.

I guess if we haven't heard anything more about it he must be ok?

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 10:48:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Jay King mentioned on a podcast (I think one of his anything is poddable ones but it could have been the rainin jays renunion one) that Hayward thinks it a nerve issue and that he'll just have to manage it for the rest of this season.