Author Topic: ESPN Ranks Celtics 3rd in NBA--Fair?  (Read 8912 times)

ESPN Ranks Celtics 3rd in NBA--Fair?
« on: November 06, 2017, 10:54:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
ESPN power rankings has Celts ranked 3rd, behind GSW and HOU.

Fair?  Personally, I could see us ahead of Houston at the moment, obviously have no problem being ranked behind GSW, who are playing better than their slow start.

What do you think?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21265048/nba-power-rankings-our-expert-panel-unveils-rankings-week-4

Re: ESPN Ranks Celtics 3rd in NBA--Fair?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Who would have thought after Hayward injury and going 0-2 we would be this high already?

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Im drinking the green Cool Aid ...

Boston #1

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rockets have undoubtedly played well, but should not be ahead of Boston.  We have a longer winning streak, a better overall record, had better competition this week, better point differential, etc.

I知 fine with the Warriors at #1, but Houston should not be #2.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:07:01 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Rockets have undoubtedly played well, but should not be ahead of Boston.  We have a longer winning streak, a better overall record, had better competition this week, better point differential, etc.

They need someone to prop up as GSW's 'rival' and potentially upset-er in the West, and we just made OKC seem a little less imposing on Friday night, so I guess Houston is the choice.

Frankly, I think the Celtics should be #1.  They have the best record and have done the best of anyone so far this season.  Sure, GSW is a better team, but are we just going to ignore the actual results of what's happening this year?  Why even do power rankings at all then?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:13:58 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

NBA.com puts us at number 2 behind Golden State, which I think is fair.

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

They need someone to prop up as GSW's 'rival' and potentially upset-er in the West, and we just made OKC seem a little less imposing on Friday night, so I guess Houston is the choice.

Frankly, I think the Celtics should be #1.  They have the best record and have done the best of anyone so far this season.  Sure, GSW is a better team, but are we just going to ignore the actual results of what's happening this year?  Why even do power rankings at all then?

Agreed - Power Rankings are usually some combination of record, presume strength, and current performance. So if GSW drops, like, 3 in a row, they won't plummet. They'll drop no further than like 5 or 6 because we all know they're really really good and that's probably a blip... but they will drop, because their power ranking is less powerful.

If a team is 8-2, has the best record in the league, and has advanced stats and quality wins to back that up... where's the harm in saying yeah Boston is the tops on this week's power rankings.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 12:25:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Celts are 1st in point differential, record, and defense.  15th in offense.

I think you've got to rank them at least 2nd based on what they've done through 10 games.

The Warriors are the best offense by a country mile, with the second best point differential.  I think it's fair to rank them first.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I think you've got to rank them at least 2nd based on what they've done through 10 games.

The Warriors are the best offense by a country mile, with the second best point differential.  I think it's fair to rank them first.

Yeah, because everyone knows offense is more important than defense, right??

Yes, I'm being sarcastic!!

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It痴 pretty amazing considering we don稚 have Hayward.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

No, but the Warriors are dominating on offense to a greater degree than the Celts are dominating on defense.  They're 10 points ahead of the next best team.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Personally, I have no problem if these power rankings are a monthly thing but its a weekly ranking based on performance and record and perhaps strength of opponents beatrn during the week so imo it eally shoild be Boston first then GS...its pretty silly to go on a 7 game winning streak holding your opponents under 95 points and yet gets ranked only 3rd...absurd.

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no problem with the ranking of 2 at nba.com or 3 at espn.com. The Celtics and Houston are both hot and there is only a half game between them. Golden State is the best team in the league by far and deserves the number 1 spot.

Now if Boston goes undefeated again this week, which the should, and improves their offense while maintaining their defense, then I think next week a number 2 ranking should be warranted.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The only rankings that matter are the ones at the end of the season.  that's when being #1 matters

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

No, but the Warriors are dominating on offense to a greater degree than the Celts are dominating on defense.  They're 10 points ahead of the next best team.

Golden State is only around 6 points better than the second highest scoring team. The Celtics are around 4 points better defensively than the second best team. The point differential per game is small, but Boston gets the nod at #1 over Golden State.

I hope Boston keeps up this winning streak before they go into that Golden State game. Because if they are, I want to see Golden State take their best shot. I want to see how Boston measures up with them, with them both playing at their best.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:32:25 PM by johnnygreen »