Author Topic: The time when America stopped being great  (Read 244 times)

The time when America stopped being great
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

Online kozlodoev

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1174
I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers, but I found most of what is being said rather insightful. Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41826022
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

Re: The time when America stopped being great
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 39
great ...but long read.

Kinda tells it like it is.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:18:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27963
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
It’s an interesting question, at least regarding what caused today’s political climate.

I think it’s a mix of 24 hour “entertainment news”, the rise of the internet, politicians who have become very skilled at exploiting division, loss of manufacturing and other good-paying blue collar jobs, and a legitimate culture war as the country has moved rabidly leftward on some social issues, leaving many behind.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 194
I might agitate some with my opinion, I am a not a USA citizen and it is not my intention.

I think it happened around the time after the defeated/destroyed industries of Japan, Germany, France etc. recovered from the material war effects. After that rebuilding period was done, USA included itself in too many warfields/goverment plantings/questionable sponsorships around the world to preserve its clear cheek.

What exact time would that be? Sometime in the late 50'ies, early 60'ies. The JFK assasination seems like a possible, exact date.

I can say with 100% certainty, that when I was growing up in the 80'ies in Yugoslavia (today Croatia), the sound of word "America" meant much, much more than today. People viewed it as a faraway promised land, almost magical. In reality, Germany became our true, much closer promised land.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."