Author Topic: Lamar Odom collapses in L.A night club (Video)  (Read 5631 times)

Re: Lamar Odom collapses in L.A night club (Video)
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I know I should feel sorry for him, but he’s got enough resources to open and fully staff a treatment facility. Unlike most addicts, he’s got access to the best care, no waiting lists, stable housing, and money in the bank.

Didn't his son tragically die? Jeesh, I'd love to know the secret for just "getting over" that. I guess buying and staffing yourself a treatment facility does it, though? Good to know.

Yes, his son died from SIDS. Hard to believe how callous people are toward any suffering human, but especially in a situation like his.

People have tragedies every day. I can have empathy toward losing a child, while still condemning his decision not to seek help.  His son died 11 years ago. Is that loss a permanent excuse?

Literally tens of millions of people have it worse than Odom. If he chooses to kill himself, so be it.

I honestly feel sorry for you.

How his life compares to another person's is not relevant. He is suffering and deserves support. Why do you assume he hasn't sought help? By what authority do you determine what is an appropriate level or kind of help? How long should it take to get over the death of a child?

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know I should feel sorry for him, but he’s got enough resources to open and fully staff a treatment facility. Unlike most addicts, he’s got access to the best care, no waiting lists, stable housing, and money in the bank.

Didn't his son tragically die? Jeesh, I'd love to know the secret for just "getting over" that. I guess buying and staffing yourself a treatment facility does it, though? Good to know.

Yes, his son died from SIDS. Hard to believe how callous people are toward any suffering human, but especially in a situation like his.

People have tragedies every day. I can have empathy toward losing a child, while still condemning his decision not to seek help.  His son died 11 years ago. Is that loss a permanent excuse?

Literally tens of millions of people have it worse than Odom. If he chooses to kill himself, so be it.

How his life compares to another person's is not relevant. He is suffering and deserves support. Why do you assume he hasn't sought help? By what authority do you determine what is an appropriate level or kind of help? How long should it take to get over the death of a child?

So you’re an enabler? Not a big fan of accountability?

Why excuse his conduct?  Why isn’t he in rehab? Where was his debilitating, only-can-be-treated-with-hookers-and-illegal-drugs suffering over his son when he was playing with the Lakers?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Why excuse his conduct?  Why isn’t he in rehab? Where was his debilitating, only-can-be-treated-with-hookers-and-illegal-drugs suffering over his son when he was playing with the Lakers?
How did you just turn "he deserves support" to "enabling"?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

How did you just turn "he deserves support" to "enabling"?

Making excuses for bad behavior and lack of change is enabling.  It’s that concept of entitlement: no matter what somebody does and no matter who they hurt they’re owed something.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I understand where you're coming from, but I can tell you from experience that some people are terribly predisposed to a addiction, and even treatment sometimes isn't enough. 

My father did exactly that (bolded), and you can probably imagine the challenge that goes with processing that as a teenager.  Tough stuff.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's a shame to see. Addiction affects people from all walks of life and it's very hard to shake once it gets its hooks into you. Lamar nearly killed himself already with this kind of behavior. Hope he can get the help he desperately needs before it happens for real.

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Odom has obvious mental health issues and a predisposition to addition. He also is using as a way to self medicate as a way to fight the effects of his mental health. This is a pretty common combination that only leads to a spiral down the rabbit hole to self destruction.

Having my own difficulties with mental health I can tell you that dealing with these issues and breaking the pattern and habits you have had since childhood is as difficult a thing as you can do. Chemically your brain is telling you to act one way knowing deep down that you have to be self aware enough to fight through those feelings and act another. It takes a lot to do that.

And it doesn't matter your financial situation, the fight is the same. At some point you have to hit rock bottom and want to turn things around. You have to overcome the hopelessness and self loathing that you feel and want to overcome for yourself. It all comes down to self realization.

In many ways having money, though it allows for an easier access to assistance abd support, is bad for you because it also allows greater access to continuing to poison yourself with self destructive behavior and feeding your addiction.

I don't feel bad for Odom. I empathize with what he is going through. He needs a change of environment. He needs to probably disassociate with many if not most of the people he has surrounded himself with. And he has to want to get better. If he doesn't want to get help and get healthy, then no one should feel bad for him. His destruction is his own doing and that doesn't deserve sympathy.

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I understand where you're coming from, but I can tell you from experience that some people are terribly predisposed to a addiction, and even treatment sometimes isn't enough. 

My father did exactly that (bolded), and you can probably imagine the challenge that goes with processing that as a teenager.  Tough stuff.

My mother did that when I was 24. Lost my dad to natural causes about two weeks ago. When life is filled with tragedy it is difficult to not develop issues or coping mechanisms that are unheLthy

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My mother did that when I was 24. Lost my dad to natural causes about two weeks ago. When life is filled with tragedy it is difficult to not develop issues or coping mechanisms that are unheLthy

My mother died when I was 21. My father is disabled from kidney cancer due to toxic drinking water he was exposed to at Camp Lajeune. My wife’s mother died when she was in middle school.

Everybody is touched by tragedy.  It’s not an excuse for bad behavior.

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

My mother died when I was 21. My father is disabled from kidney cancer due to toxic drinking water he was exposed to at Camp Lajeune. My wife’s mother died when she was in middle school.

Sorry to hear about your mom and dad Roy. It is tough to lose parents so young.

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Sorry to hear about your mom and dad Roy. It is tough to lose parents so young.

It is, and I’m sorry that you had to go through it. I’m sorry to hear about the recent loss of your dad.

I think my own experiences and those of people around me - friends as well as clients - makes me less sympathetic to Odom. The rich aren’t immune to addiction, but they have resources that most people in my community can only dream of. Odom can afford long-term residential care with the best providers in the world. My clients sit in jail for five months while we wait for a non-insurance rehab bed to open up.

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I think there's a difference between empathy and excusing someone's behavior. Even someone who has the worst imaginable circumstances should still be held accountable for their actions (stealing bread to feed your family aside).

And I don't think there's anything wrong with compassion, even if the person has better circumstances than I do.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think there's a difference between empathy and excusing someone's behavior. Even someone who has the worst imaginable circumstances should still be held accountable for their actions (stealing bread to feed your family aside).

And I don't think there's anything wrong with compassion, even if the person has better circumstances than I do.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but there’s nothing wrong with not showing compassion to the guy who made $115 million and refuses to get help, either.

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 04:16:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Empathy doesn't require absolution, and addiction doesn't really work like that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 04:20:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Empathy doesn't require absolution, and addiction doesn't really work like that.

It does, though. Treatment works, so long as somebody is willing to make life changes.

Relapse is part of recovery if and only if somebody wants to recover. Otherwise it’s just relapse.