Author Topic: Why is Kyrie not being discussed as part of the Cavs' problems?  (Read 3949 times)

Why is Kyrie not being discussed as part of the Cavs' problems?
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
Maybe it's just me...but I haven't heard anyone talk about how losing Kyrie via trade has also contributed to the Cavs' current disarray. Like, yes, IT is hurt, Thompson is hurt, Lue is indecisive and/or experimenting with lineups, but somehow the narrative is still "Lebron is amazing, so they should be the best team in the East."  What?  They lost Kyrie Irving.  How does this not factor in to the discussion?  Losing him has infinitely more impact than IT being hurt. Lebron, in all his greatness, will never be as good as Lebron AND Kyrie Irving.

It might be a nice underscoring of what Kyrie was sick of.  And probably why he's going to love being the Man in Boston.  Oh, and Stevens has him playing D.  Take that, Lebron.
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

Re: Why is Kyrie not being discussed as part of the Cavs' problems?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP.

I agree. I think they are just starting to bring it up.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the obvious time to bring that up would be after they get IT back and the Cavs continue struggling.

Until then, we have to wonder how they will look with IT.  He was, after all, the player involved in the trade who had the best season last year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I said that Irving leaving is main part of Cavs woes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
They will likely be .500 after today, I'm sure they aren't that worried. I wish it fell apart but it's just another ho hum season for him.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:35:07 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Lebron's 3 years with Kyrie saw him average his 3 lowest PPG since his rookie season. Had a career high in assists last season while also beating his career avg the year before.

I'm not really sure what that means to be honest but while digging through his number those 2 immediately jumped out at me.
ok fine

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Because after years of LeBron teams mailing in the regular season nobody's taking their struggles too seriously, and Kyrie's replacement hasn't suited up yet.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Last season Kyrie Irving was the only player in NBA history to average 25 points and 6 assists while not leading his team in either category.

It's very easy to take someone like Irving for granted when you have someone like Lebron on your team. The narrative is put Lebron on any team and they'll become a contender, and to some it would be blasphemous to say Lebron couldn't do what he did without Kyrie.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He is by certain people for sure.  Was just listening to Bill Simmons discussing it on his podcast.  But then he also gave Smart no credit for the Celtics defense so Simmons can be frustrating one way or another every time.  It was a Ringer NBA podcast if anyone wants to check it out, they did talk Celtics for a bit early.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Until then, we have to wonder how they will look with IT. 

They'll be a lot better on offense but in no possible way could he improve their defense.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
He is by certain people for sure.  Was just listening to Bill Simmons discussing it on his podcast.  But then he also gave Smart no credit for the Celtics defense so Simmons can be frustrating one way or another every time.

Because it doesn't fit your narrative of Smart? Smart's advanced stats say he's barely above avg defender this season.
ok fine

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Cavs don't need kyrie ,  all Lebron has to do is bring it every nght ,  Score 57 points ....play 40 minutes .    He has never been injured so he should be fine to play full bore every night for the next seven or eight seasons,

But when IT comes back , he will score 30 points , 10  assist per game .  Kyrie who ?

With the incredible coaching savy of Lue and the greatest player on the planet ,   no one should worry about Cleveland .

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Green 18 or Burst
I think the obvious time to bring that up would be after they get IT back and the Cavs continue struggling.

Until then, we have to wonder how they will look with IT.  He was, after all, the player involved in the trade who had the best season last year.

Disagree.  Waiting for after IT gets back is when to talk about evaluating the trade.  They are missing Kyrie right now (and, coincidentally, IT) but it is not being discussed as a major storyline. 

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 12:47:28 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Green 18 or Burst
Lebron's 3 years with Kyrie saw him average his 3 lowest PPG since his rookie season. Had a career high in assists last season while also beating his career avg the year before.

I'm not really sure what that means to be honest but while digging through his number those 2 immediately jumped out at me.

Those two stats show me that Lebron didn't need to score as much because he had Kyrie (as well as others, but Kyrie on the floor also helps others get open) and his assist go up because of that.  Kyrie in Boston means Lebron needs to score more and has less scoring options to dish to. 

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 12:50:13 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Green 18 or Burst
Last season Kyrie Irving was the only player in NBA history to average 25 points and 6 assists while not leading his team in either category.

It's very easy to take someone like Irving for granted when you have someone like Lebron on your team. The narrative is put Lebron on any team and they'll become a contender, and to some it would be blasphemous to say Lebron couldn't do what he did without Kyrie.

TP.  I think this is exactly what Kyrie wanted to escape from. Especially because when Lebron's teams fail its about the supporting cast and when they win its about his greatness.