Poll

Is Kyrie Irving A Legitimate, Bonafide Superstar In The NBA (In Your Books/Definition)?

Yes, Kyrie Irving Is A Legitimate (Bonafide) Superstar In This League
79 (74.5%)
No, I View Kyrie As A Legit All-Star, But A Fringe Superstar At Best Currently
27 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Debating With Friend: What Do You View Kyrie Irving As In The NBA?  (Read 29767 times)

Re: Debating With Friend: What Do You View Kyrie Irving As In The NBA?
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
He has been placed in the perfect situation to make 1st team all-NBA.  It should be considered a failure if he does not.  He's the most privileged player in the NBA, imo.

Clearly. Very frustrating to not be able to respond appropriately to such posts.

I actually just find it funny to be honest. (Not annoyed by it too much)

Sort of like playing the "villain" role or opposing side on here  :laugh:

Like @tarheels, I hated the trade, but @tarheels definitely seems to either hate Kyrie with a passion or consider Isaiah Thomas his second son  :laugh:

Don't think he's alone on here though. I do miss Isaiah as well.

I guess I find 'playing the villain' something else, particularly when the posts are often inciting in nature.

« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regardless of how Kyrie has played in the past as a whole, both regular season and playoffs, isn't it fairly clear that his all around game is superstar worthy this yeah? I think so.

« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He's definitely impressed me - all around.

He always seemingly was a good defender - but wasn't given the opportunity to display that in CLE.

His handles? Would make a Trucker's Convention jealous.

He's got a bright future in BOS and I can see us playing into June for the next several years.

Once he gets the FULL Boston Celtics Team (With Hayward) then we'll see an even better Kyrie.

« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2017, 11:36:46 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He has been placed in the perfect situation to make 1st team all-NBA.  It should be considered a failure if he does not.  He's the most privileged player in the NBA, imo.

Clearly. Very frustrating to not be able to respond appropriately to such posts.

Like @tarheels, I hated the trade, but @tarheels definitely seems to either hate Kyrie with a passion or consider Isaiah Thomas his second son  :laugh:

I guess I find 'playing the villain' something else, particularly when the posts are often inciting in nature.

I understand you don't like me, and that's fine.  This post is simply a veiled insult  -- you can get away with it per forum rules, but your intent in clear.

You're thinking is very black and white.  If you'd like to have a meaningful convo, answer this for me -- in what ways may Kyrie be privileged in the NBA? Now, and throughout his career? I've had this convo with many people irl with a lot of substance. 

It's clear you aren't even reading my posts, evidenced by this one and the last time you quoted me in another thread. I have a broken arm, so could u please quote that for me?

Since I'm sure you won't, I will.  Here's evidence youre not even reading, just attacking:

Doubt it, lol

How quickly we forget a historic season...
Not really at all. I think we're well suited to defend him, especially if his slows him down. And it doesn't really matter about his offence, because he won't be able to stop anyone on our team from obliterating him. Is he going to guard Kyrie? JB? Tatum??

He and Kyrie will do an awful job of defending one another, as theyre both horrible on that end.  I'm happy to point out all of Kyrie's mistakes for you during next game, if you remain doubtful.

Lol bro.

IT isn't even close to Kyrie as far as defense goes.

Bias aside, that shouldn't even be in question.

Cool dude.

I'm high on pain killers, but I'll bet you 10 TPs that i did not state that in the quoted post.  Deal?

Remember... wherever you are wayupnorth, there you will be.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:43:38 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I understand you don't like me, and that's fine.  This post is simply a veiled insult  -- you can get away with it per forum rules, but your intent in clear.

You're thinking is very black and white.  If you'd like to have a meaningful convo, answer this for me -- in what ways may Kyrie be privileged in the NBA? Now, and throughout his career? I've had this convo with many people irl with a lot of substance. 

It's clear you aren't even reading my posts, evidenced by this one and the last time you quoted me in another thread. I have a broken arm, so could u please quote that for me?

Since I'm sure you won't, I will.  Here's evidence youre not even reading, just attacking:

Doubt it, lol

Not really at all. I think we're well suited to defend him, especially if his slows him down. And it doesn't really matter about his offence, because he won't be able to stop anyone on our team from obliterating him. Is he going to guard Kyrie? JB? Tatum??

He and Kyrie will do an awful job of defending one another, as theyre both horrible on that end.  I'm happy to point out all of Kyrie's mistakes for you during next game, if you remain doubtful.

Lol bro.

Cool dude.

I'm high on pain killers, but I'll bet you 10 TPs that i did not state that in the quoted post.  Deal?

I have absolutely noting against you personally, or even your posting in general. In fact, I quite enjoy it, except when you constantly hate on the best player this team has seen since Pierce/Garnett.

We all get it, you hate Kyrie for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball. You are free to have that opinion, but don't act surprised when you ruffle feathers talking constant crap about this team's best player.

Kyrie is this team's leader. He is a better fit with Brad and a better fit with the roster than Isaiah was. It sucks to see a gamer leave this team like IT, but it is about banners, not the best feel good story.

You deserve all the push back you get when you imply Kyrie and IT are on the same level defensively, or when you say he is the most privileged player in the league.

I for one could not be happier with the player that has helped lead us to 22-4, but if you prefer to root against him and try and down him at every turn, I cannot stop you. But I can respond.

Also, referring to Kyrie as being horrible at defense is something I think is plain at odds with the facts. That is not an attack to find that viewpoint unbelievable.

« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2017, 11:56:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
LeBrons lost love.

« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Doubt it, lol

Lol bro.

Cool dude.

I have absolutely noting against you personally, or even your posting in general. In fact, I quite enjoy it, except when you constantly hate on the best player this team has seen since Pierce/Garnett.

We all get it, you hate Kyrie for reasons that have nothing to do with basketball. You are free to have that opinion, but don't act surprised when you ruffle feathers talking constant crap about this team's best player.

Kyrie is this team's leader. He is a better fit with Brad and a better fit with the roster than Isaiah was. It sucks to see a gamer leave this team like IT, but it is about banners, not the best feel good story.

You deserve all the push back you get when you imply Kyrie and IT are on the same level defensively, or when you say he is the most privileged player in the league.

I for one could not be happier with the player that has helped lead us to 22-4, but if you prefer to root against him and try and down him at every turn, I cannot stop you. But I can respond.

1.  They have a ton to do with basketball.  2.  "Implied"? I said they are both horriblr.  You're clearly reaching b/c of your bias against me.  3.  Your finding my comments "lol worthy" is an insult.  It suggests you have a better or more objective understanding of ball.  So please, if so....

Answer my question: in what way may he be privileged?

If you want to dodge it, your comments become baseless insults, and you just said that's not your intent.  If you 'enjoy' it, then humor me, at the very least...

Ediit: Next post, can u cut out some of the previous uotes>? This is getting long and possibly annpoying for others, but i can barely type here.

« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2017, 12:03:20 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Regardless of how Kyrie has played in the past as a whole, both regular season and playoffs, isn't it fairly clear that his all around game is superstar worthy this yeah? I think so.

Sure, if your choose to treat the term very broadly.  But then you're siluting it to include guys that are severely limited in several aspects of the game.  Lillard then qualifies as a superstar too.  But I dont see Lillard as that -- I consider a superstar someine that can carry a medicore team deep into the playoffs by himself.  I dont think KI can, nor is there any evidence to suggest it -- in fact, just the opposite, nick.  He's admittedly an incredibly player, better than I thought too.  But I prefer to save that title for the very few elite.  Heck, I'd say AD is even on the cusp, and Giannis is still budding... but just about there.

« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Doubt it, lol

Lol bro.

Cool dude.

1.  They have a ton to do with basketball.  2.  "Implied"? You're reachi
ng b/c of your bias against me.  3.  Your finding my comments "lol worthy" is an insult.

Answer my question...... in what way may he be privileged? He's undoubtedly tyhe most privileged in the NBA

What does being privileged have to do with being the best player on this team since KG/Paul?

What does it have to do with him playing excellent ball and being the best player on a team starting 22-4?

As I said, you have issues with Kyrie outside of ball, and referring to his "privilege" is an example of that.

I have not, and am not, attacking you personally. I did, was banned, and have learned something from that.

« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

[/quote]

Doubt it, lol

Lol bro.

Cool dude.

[/quote]

[/quote]

ng b/c of your bias against me.  3.  Your finding my comments "lol worthy" is an insult.

Answer my question...... in what way may he be privileged? He's undoubtedly tyhe most privileged in the NBA
[/quote]

What does being privileged have to do with being the best player on this team since KG/Paul?

What does it have to do with him playing excellent ball and being the best player on a team starting 22-4?

As I said, you have issues with Kyrie outside of ball, and referring to his "privilege" is an example of that.

I have not, and am not, attacking you personally. I did, was banned, and have learned something from that.
[/quote]

You responded to my privilege comment.  I did not comment on anything else you're saying... nothing about how good he is since whoever.  I don't care to discuss that, I already have for months.

« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Doubt it, lol

Lol bro.

Cool dude.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You responded to my privilege comment.  I did not comment on anything else you're saying... nothing about how good he is since whoever.  I don't care to discuss that, I already have for months.
[/quote]

You said your criticism of him have to do with basketball. What in earth does "privilege" have to do with basketball?

« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
It has everything to do with basketball and the way he plays the game.  If you'll entertain the comment, we can discuss it exclusively in terms of basketball, nothing else. 

But I can't argue comments that I didn't make.  Nor can I argue that I am biased against KI, when I have admitted it for months, and yet still remain open to objectively discussing him and his game

« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
It has everything to do with basketball and the way he plays the game.  If you'll entertain the comment, we can discuss it exclusively in terms of basketball, nothing else..

OK, please explain to me how "privilege" has to do with Kyries talent on a basketball court.

Particularly when he has been playing nothing but incredibly unselfish team ball on both ends of the court.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:21:28 AM by wayupnorth »

« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2017, 12:21:01 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
It has everything to do with basketball and the way he plays the game.  If you'll entertain the comment, we can discuss it exclusively in terms of basketball, nothing else..

OK, please explain to me how "privilege" has to do with Kyries talent on a basketball court.

Particularly when he has been playing nothing but incredibly unselfish team ball on both ends of the court.

I find this idea somewhat preposterous, but I would love to hear what you have to say.

The way hand-checking rules have benefited guards has been well-documented here. This is the crux of my argument (if we stick to bball terms). Especially those that have a slight build and avoid contact at all costs.  It not only allows smaller guys to get to the paint and finish, but opens up the entire court for them to shoot.  S. Curry fits this mold too, though I'm less harsh on him b/c he's arguably the best shooter of all time and could prob be successful in a Ray Allen role,or even better.  He also gets superstar calls b/c of it -- being in this situatios has catapulted his career and image as a megastar.

Tack on that he has been in arguably the 2 cushiest team environments possible in his career.  He could've easily rotted away on a terrible team and been nothing but an empty stat guy that never made it deep in the playoffs.  He doesn't dominate the game in enough ways to drag a mediocre team deep into the playoffs - another indicator of his limitations.

« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I find this idea somewhat preposterous, but I would love to hear what you have to say.

The way hand-checking rules have benefited guards has been well-documented here. This is the crux of my argument (if we stick to bball terms). Especially those that have a slight build and avoid contact at all costs.  It not only allows smaller guys to get to the paint and finish, but opens up the entire court for them to shoot.  S. Curry fits this mold too, though I'm less harsh on him b/c he's arguably the best shooter of all time and could prob be successful in a Ray Allen role,or even better.  He also gets superstar calls b/c of it -- being in this situatios has catapulted his career and image as a megastar.

Tack on that he has been in arguably the 2 cushiest team environments possible in his career.  He could've easily rotted away on a terrible team and been nothing but an empty stat guy that never made it deep in the playoffs.  He doesn't dominate the game in enough ways to drag a mediocre team deep into the playoffs - another indicator of his limitations.

What in that post could not be said about Isaiah?