Poll

Is Kyrie Irving A Legitimate, Bonafide Superstar In The NBA (In Your Books/Definition)?

Yes, Kyrie Irving Is A Legitimate (Bonafide) Superstar In This League
79 (74.5%)
No, I View Kyrie As A Legit All-Star, But A Fringe Superstar At Best Currently
27 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Debating With Friend: What Do You View Kyrie Irving As In The NBA?  (Read 29797 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So yeah, I'm debating with my Lakers friend about this.

Obviously, everyone has DIFFERENT definitions/standards when identifying who the superstars/transcendental players in this league are, and who are simply just all-stars but not superstars, etc. The media also sometimes has its own standards when creating rankings and separating players into the tiers as well.

So, what is your opinion on where Kyrie is right now?

Yes, he's still 25 years old (only), and has a ton of room to grow and all, but do you consider him a superstar now, or do you think he's right now a fringe superstar (sort of like Isaiah Thomas last year, who was a legit all-star who could make superstar plays on offense, but overall wasn't regarded a superstar).

Don't mean to start any big arguments here or negativity, I'm just curious to hear thoughts about this as well.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Debating With Friend: What Do You View Kyrie Irving As In The NBA?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Superstar. He hasn’t even peaked in his prime yet

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
When you start up NBA live 18 for the first time, it's an allstar type game featuring LeBron, kahwi, Durant, curry, Davis, harden, George, Westbrook, Greek freak and kyrie. That's their top 10 and I agree. So to me, he's a superstar because he's a top 10 player.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
There are a lot of definitons of SS as the OP wrote.
I'll try to make mine;
If noone can stop you from scoring efficiently when the game is on the line, you are a superstar.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
There are a lot of definitons of SS as the OP wrote.
I'll try to make mine;
If noone can stop you from scoring efficiently when the game is on the line, you are a superstar.

Yep, there are lots of definitions and standards people use.

I was just curious to hear what people HERE thought about it.

And I'm loving Kyrie's ability to finish games and make it look easy at the same time  ;D

And you can't even say "b/c he's facing bad teams" because OKC, MIL and SAS are far from bad teams LOL.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:07:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
When you start up NBA live 18 for the first time, it's an allstar type game featuring LeBron, kahwi, Durant, curry, Davis, harden, George, Westbrook, Greek freak and kyrie. That's their top 10 and I agree. So to me, he's a superstar because he's a top 10 player.

Yeah in my list I have 9 of these guys, except I have Cousins in my Top-10 as well while Kyrie isn't.

CP3 you can make a case for Top-10 as well but I have him just outside. 

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/5/4/11583556/nba-superstars-russell-westbrook-james-harden-draymond-green

From last year. SBNation clearly says NOPE but has Lillard as Next so take it with a grain of salt.
ok fine

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.sbnation.com/2016/5/4/11583556/nba-superstars-russell-westbrook-james-harden-draymond-green

From last year. SBNation clearly says NOPE but has Lillard as Next so take it with a grain of salt.

The other joke is that Draymond is considered a superstar and listed as "outlier" (hinting he's Top-10 to Top-15 in entire league).

I remember even this year ESPN and SI both listed Draymond Green at #10 in their NBA player rankings.  ???

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

The other joke is that Draymond is considered a superstar and listed as "outlier" (hinting he's Top-10 to Top-15 in entire league).

I remember even this year ESPN and SI both listed Draymond Green at #10 in their NBA player rankings.  ???

I don't get it either. The only elite skill Draymond possesses is defense.

His passing is decent for his position, but I think if you were to look at it objectively, it wouldn't be anything special. Perhaps they judge Draymond on his ability to get triple doubles or something because I don't see what makes him a top 10-15 player at all.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Kyrie is absolutely a Superstar in my view.  He has put up Superstar performances on the biggest stage many times throughout his career.  He is also demonstrating an ability to adapt to a difficult system at a quick rate.  His chemistry with Horford is amazing to see at such an early stage.  Kyrie is making his teammates better, contributing on both ends of the floor, and coming up with big shots when we need it most. 

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kyrie is absolutely a Superstar in my view.  He has put up Superstar performances on the biggest stage many times throughout his career.  He is also demonstrating an ability to adapt to a difficult system at a quick rate.  His chemistry with Horford is amazing to see at such an early stage. Kyrie is making his teammates better, contributing on both ends of the floor, and comino up with big shots when we need it most.

This is what’s most impressive to me. It seems like Kyrie has made Al a better player.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:46:27 PM by Jiri Welsch »

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Kyrie is a star not a superstar.  A superstar is top 5 in MVP voting year after year. 

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 09:00:10 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Kyrie is a star not a superstar.  A superstar is top 5 in MVP voting year after year.

Agreed.  For Kyrie to be a superstar, like 30 other players would be considered superstars.  At that point, what's the point of using the term? It's then synonymous with "star".  But whatever, I'm fine calling IT, D. Lillard, etc. superstars.  I'm biased, though, as I like how they present themselves as people, too.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 09:20:19 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I think that's fair. For the last 5 years these are the players that have made it to the top 5 in MVP voting (and the amount of times they've done it and won it)

Lebron (5 times) - won it 1 time
Durant (3 times) - won it 1 time
Westbrook (3 times) - won it 1 time
Harden (3 times)
Curry (2 times) - won it 2 times
Leonard (2 times)
Melo (1 time)
I. Thomas (1 time)
A. Davis (1 time)
Joakim Noah (1 time)
B. Griffin (1 time)
Kobe (1 time)
C. Paul (1 time)

So if someone wanted to say that the superstars of the last 5 years are Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry and Leonard, I think the statement would be fair. You can argue that the rest had superstar seasons, but aren't necessarily superstars.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:28:39 PM by CelticD »

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:21:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Agreed.  For Kyrie to be a superstar, like 30 other players would be considered superstars.  At that point, what's the point of using the term? It's then synonymous with "star".   But whatever, I'm fine calling IT, D. Lillard, etc. superstars. I'm biased, though, as I like how they present themselves as people, too.

So being a role model is a requirement for being a superstar? That's flawed, at best. It legitimately has nothing to do with their on-court production. Either they produce at a high level or they don't. Isaiah was top 5 in MVP voting once, but overall neither he nor Lillard's resume compares to Irving's (NBA champion, 4× NBA All-Star, All-Star Game MVP, All-NBA Third Team, NBA Rookie of the Year, NBA All-Rookie First Team, USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year, FIBA World Cup MVP, FIBA Basketball World Cup Gold Medalist, Olympic Gold Medalist). They guy hit one of the biggest shots in NBA Finals history while playing a key part in delivering a title to a city that hadn't seen one in 52 years.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman