Author Topic: Kyle Kuzma  (Read 3770 times)

Re: Kyle Kuzma
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 08:11:07 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
... Kuzma would ... go in the top 5 in a draft redo this second

No, he wouldn’t.

No? He's the 2nd highest scorer in his draft class with a TS% of 63.8? There are 5 players you'd draft above him?

Of course there are. You draft for potential, not rookie year production.

Kuzma is only 22, it's not like he's Brogdon getting drafted at 24. By that logic, in a 2012 re-draft, Damien Lillard doesn't deserve to make it in the top 5 (he was drafted at 22 as well).

Edit: Also the rule of thumb is typically to draft the best player available. Not draft off potential.
totally disagree

Ya I misspoke, that part didn't come out right. It was an after thought so i didn't think it all the way through before I posted. I retracted that part.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

No, he wouldn’t.

No? He's the 2nd highest scorer in his draft class with a TS% of 63.8? There are 5 players you'd draft above him?

Kuzma is only 22, it's not like he's Brogdon getting drafted at 24. By that logic, in a 2012 re-draft, Damien Lillard doesn't deserve to make it in the top 5 (he was drafted at 22 as well).

Edit: Also the rule of thumb is typically to draft the best player available. Not draft off potential.

That's a horrible interpretation of what Roy is saying.  Lillard is a legitimate All Star talent.  Kuzma is not.  Lillard being older in his draft class is irrelevant now because of that.  Kuzma being older is still very much relevant because they're rookies, and you draft for long term production (which younger guys usually have more potential for), not rookie season production

Saying Lillard wouldn't be top 5 based on Roy's logic would only make sense if Roy was saying that 22 year olds should be drafted later because they have less of a career (in terms of length) ahead of them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Decent player. He does a lot of things well. I don't see all star just good role player right now. It's early and teams haven't focused on any defense on him we need to see that adjustment. I think 22 is still young and he has plenty of potential to grow.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton

No, he wouldn’t.

That's a horrible interpretation of what Roy is saying.  Lillard is a legitimate All Star talent.  Kuzma is not.  Lillard being older in his draft class is irrelevant now because of that.  Kuzma being older is still very much relevant because they're rookies, and you draft for long term production (which younger guys usually have more potential for), not rookie season production

Saying Lillard wouldn't be top 5 based on Roy's logic would only make sense if Roy was saying that 22 year olds should be drafted later because they have less of a career (in terms of length) ahead of them

No I get what he's saying, I only used Lillard as an example because he was a 22 year old drafted outside the top 5. My point was, wouldn't most people agree he would've gone top 5 in a re-draft after his rookie season?

I'm not talking about anything he did past rookie season. Him turning into an All-Star afterwards has nothing to do with what I'm saying.

Edit: Just to clarify when I say "wouldn't most people agree he would've gone top 5 in a re-draft after his rookie season?" I mean that I don't believe most people would omit Lillard from the top 5 in a re-draft due to his age after his rookie season. If the kid balls, he balls. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:57:27 PM by CelticD »

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Kuzma is an exciting player and he really is playing great.   This Kuzma mania reminds me of Linsanity.  Jeremy Lin is still a good player but he's not a franchise player.  In the end I think that Ball will be the better of the lakers picks. 

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 603
Know who's the other guy looking like a steal in the draft? Donovan Mitchell and he's filling in nicely within Hayward's role in Utah.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 11:15:11 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Know who's the other guy looking like a steal in the draft? Donovan Mitchell and he's filling in nicely within Hayward's role in Utah.

I liked Mitchell in summer league but I haven't watched a jazz game this season to see if he was still playing well.  Nice to hear that he is.  I was thinking he may have gone the way of Thon Maker.

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:17 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Kuala gets shots for a lottery team...

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 01:32:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's solid. No chance he's a top 5 pick in a redraft though - would barely scrape top 10
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 06:25:22 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

No, he wouldn’t.

Agreed, Kuzma's redraft potential would be much higher if he was 19, sucked, and showed the potential to be as good as he is currently 3 years down the line.

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25615
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No, he wouldn’t.

Agreed, Kuzma's redraft potential would be much higher if he was 19, sucked, and showed the potential to be as good as he is currently 3 years down the line.

He’s outperforming Tatum. Fair to say you’d take Kuzma over JT in a redraft?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 08:15:09 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

No, he wouldn’t.

I'd say he is showing both right now - production and potential.

There aren't many players showing more potential than him, and I'd say several are showing higher "bust" potential.

If there was a redraft today, I'd say Kuzma could sneak into the top 5 and is def top 10. That was a huge pick by the Lakers.

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 08:32:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Kuzma can play.   He is skilled, He plays with a chip on his shoulder and he has decent athletic ability and good size.   He could be one that got away.  I think for where he was drafted he is great value and is better than say our former player Olynyk who was drafted much higher.   I can say right now that he is better than Yabu as well.   I know these guys were picked in different drafts but look at the value the Lakers got with that pick.   That being said I hope they fall into the ocean, JK.

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

No, he wouldn’t.

He’s outperforming Tatum. Fair to say you’d take Kuzma over JT in a redraft?

He is?!?

Dear God, say it isn't so. 

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

No, he wouldn’t.

Unless you're the 6ers
ok fine