Author Topic: Tatum vs Simmons  (Read 5613 times)

Tatum vs Simmons
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Tatums second three last night was a thing of beauty and just re enforced how good he will be,he is tough in transition,gets to the basket,has mid range pull up and post game,plays very good defense ,shoots foul shots a 80%,rebounds -and is only 19  may still grow and starts for a contender-
No real flaws in his game-Doesn't that sound like rookie of year
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:12:26 PM by rollie mass »

Re: Brown vs Simmons
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:59:11 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Tatum?

It's not close.  Simmons is the runaway leader at this point.

Re: Brown vs Simmons
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm all for a rollie thread, but you must have missed this one from yesterday.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94183.0

Wait, in reading your post (and as chilidawg mentioned), I see that you are referring to Tatum, not Brown.

Re: Tatum vs Simmons
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Rookie of the Year race this time around might be historical. I’d have to go back and check out the 2003-2004 season - Lebron the clear winner, but good seasons from Bosh, Wade, Melo and probably others. This year, you have a number of rookies who are already solid impactful rotation players.

This is a good rundown:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-simmons-the-real-deal-lonzos-strange-start-continues/
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Sorry about mix up but -when Tatum buried that 3 point shot it crystalised the potential of Tatum in terms of being a complete player,-no hesitation ,the arc and follow through -i just said nice really nice.
This is a kid starting against Westbrook,Carmello,and George his first big away game against OKC at only 19-
.Even though he missed those bunnies, the movement and ease he got to the rim made the points  secondary.Simmons has the press and stats and once that's starts going its hard to stop.Jayson shouldn't get the touches that Simmons gets because the Celts are that good-but really can you award a player that can't hit from outside or has no pull up jumper and can't shoot foul shots ROY and he really isn't a rookie.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:31:55 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Simmons is averaging more Pts, Rebs and Ast but I would take Tatum. Simmons has a horrible FG%, FT% and he has a 0% from 3 pt because he hasn't shot one yet. Simmons will win ROY but Tatum is a more polished player.

Tatum has a stunning...50/80/50. 50% FG, 80 FT and 50 3pt. FIFTY % from 3 is crazy because it's not like he's only playing 15 minutes. He's playing over 30 minutes a game. This tells me he takes good shots and is patient.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Simmons is averaging more Pts, Rebs and Ast but I would take Tatum. Simmons has a horrible FG%, FT% and he has a 0% from 3 pt because he hasn't shot one yet. Simmons will win ROY but Tatum is a more polished player.

Tatum has a stunning...50/80/50. 50% FG, 80 FT and 50 3pt. FIFTY % from 3 is crazy because it's not like he's only playing 15 minutes. He's playing over 30 minutes a game. This tells me he takes good shots and is patient.
Simmons is 51.6 FG% which is rather good.  He just had his 2nd triple double in 9 games.  He is at 18.0 pts, 9.8 reb,  8.2 ast, 0.7 blk and 1.6 stl. 

Tatum is playing well but not that well.  As for his 3pt%, it is early in the season.  There are 15 players at 50% or better.  Don't expect any of them to remain that high.  Strangely Pau Gasol topped the league at 53.8% last season with Korver 2nd at 45.1%. 

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I mean I am also a homer, but I think the rookies are: 1.) Simmons, 2.) Markkannen, 3.) Tatum, 4.) Kuzma, 5.) Dillon Brooks, 6.) Fox, 7.) Mike James

Tatum and Kuzma are neck and neck, but Tatum's efficiency is more valuable in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Simmons is 51.6 FG% which is rather good.  He just had his 2nd triple double in 9 games.  He is at 18.0 pts, 9.8 reb,  8.2 ast, 0.7 blk and 1.6 stl. 

Tatum is playing well but not that well.  As for his 3pt%, it is early in the season.  There are 15 players at 50% or better.  Don't expect any of them to remain that high.  Strangely Pau Gasol topped the league at 53.8% last season with Korver 2nd at 45.1%. 

Simmons has undoubtedly been the top rookie so far, and does appear to have the highest ceiling.

Tatum has been really good too, and while I suspect his unrealistically high shooting numbers are just a hot streak, he plays next to two All-Stars, giving him many more open shots. Tatum clearly is a good shooter, so I suspect he will sustain very high shooting percentages (probably not his current level) at least until he hits the 'rookie wall'.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 05:31:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I take Tatum over Simmons, too. Right now Simmons is putting up better stats and is probably the overall better player by a hair, but that's mainly because he's both A) over 1.5 years older and B) in a much differing context that allows him a much higher usage.

Once Tatum grows a bit more into his body, his skills bode well for him moving forward. His much, much better shot and ability to create for himself from all levels will push him to be the more valuable player long-term.

In today's NBA, Tatum's skillset is much more valuable longer-term than Simmons' skillset where he can barely hit a free throw.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:15:21 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Simmons has the advantages of age and having the ball in his hands more often. That said, I doubt Tatum could do as much as Simmons in Philly away from the Stevens system. I think Simmons will get the award this season but Tatum will become more awesome than he is now over time and be the player the Celtics need him to be to contend. He is very close already.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The OP is extremely redundant and has previously started a version of this thread.  We can praise Tatum without putting Simmons down.  Both players will be awesome.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Moiso
if you read my posts under this subject they were both all about Tatum his three point shot and getting to hoop but missing two bunnies VERY CURRENT-You can praise Simmons all you want but that doesn't cut it when the guy can't shoot at at all from outside'.Philly is one of Bostons oldest rivals-REMEMBER THAT
"Extremely redundant" what i posted happened the night before-seems you are extremely critical-must be one of house 20 acolytes .

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:15:52 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I mean I am also a homer, but I think the rookies are: 1.) Simmons, 2.) Markkannen, 3.) Tatum, 4.) Kuzma, 5.) Dillon Brooks, 6.) Fox, 7.) Mike James

Tatum and Kuzma are neck and neck, but Tatum's efficiency is more valuable in my opinion.

say what now?

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I'm surprised how good Simmons is without a jump shot. That has to be someone encouraging that he's doing so much without that skillset yet.

My personal opinion is a jump shot can be learned with work and time.

I'm also surprised how good Tatum is as well. I expected a player who was only a good ISO player out of the gate. He's been solid on the glass, on defense and moving the ball.

Both these guys are going to have really good to great careers maybe even special? or am I over doing it now :D

ok fine