Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28690 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2018, 08:46:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
At this stage what will Smart command in the open market and at what cost is it 'worth' losing him?

I think he has surpassed the 4 year/10-14 mil per season people are expecting him to be offered.

I think he should/will remain a celtic @ 16mil or below, anything above you have to let him walk.
Yeah, but what team is going to have the cap space, the need, and will actually want to tie up the money on Smart.  That is always the thing with these type things.  Smart's market won't be that big, but it does take just 1 team, I'm just not sure what that team is.  None of the better teams that will actually have cap space make sense (like his poor shooting isn't a good fit in Philly).  Of the bad teams, very few make sense as reasonable landing spots.  Phoenix might, but probably not if they end up with Doncic.  After that, who are you looking at?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2018, 08:56:27 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
At this stage what will Smart command in the open market and at what cost is it 'worth' losing him?

I think he has surpassed the 4 year/10-14 mil per season people are expecting him to be offered.

I think he should/will remain a celtic @ 16mil or below, anything above you have to let him walk.
Yeah, but what team is going to have the cap space, the need, and will actually want to tie up the money on Smart.  That is always the thing with these type things.  Smart's market won't be that big, but it does take just 1 team, I'm just not sure what that team is.  None of the better teams that will actually have cap space make sense (like his poor shooting isn't a good fit in Philly).  Of the bad teams, very few make sense as reasonable landing spots.  Phoenix might, but probably not if they end up with Doncic.  After that, who are you looking at?

It is hard to gauge the market for Smart but I don't think he is the type of player that teams are going to overspend for.  Of course, I say that and then it always seems as though some team will overpay (see Portland Trailblazers - Evan Turner).  I predict we sign Smart in the end, keep Rozier but dangle him as a part of larger trade options (such as Leonard) and probably end up just keeping him for now too.

« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Look at this defensive highlight at 4:13 on love then pushing Tatum on the switch....just wow

https://youtu.be/CNiN-aE7XUY

« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2018, 09:18:43 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Look at this defensive highlight at 4:13 on love then pushing Tatum on the switch....just wow

lol and TP

Talk about things that don't show up in the box score, Smart is not just a great defender himself but he's coaching on the floor, making sure everyone is where they should be.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2018, 09:19:26 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
keep both! go into the luxury tax! this team is for real

« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2018, 09:29:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

lol and TP

Talk about things that don't show up in the box score, Smart is not just a great defender himself but he's coaching on the floor, making sure everyone is where they should be.

No mattet how hard Love tried to front Smart...Smart just kept trying to front him.  Love gave up

In a nutshell this series

« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Smart.  We keep Smart. He'll be cheaper, brings more intangibles, and Terry will bring back more in a trade. 

« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I think Rozier will look for a place he can be a starter.
Marcus knows his place.

« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2018, 09:39:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Smart.  We keep Smart. He'll be cheaper, brings more intangibles, and Terry will bring back more in a trade.

Without the two we lose last night

Keep both

« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:51 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

lol and TP

There was a play in the 4th quarter where he created a steal, too, he yelled at Horford and pointed, and Horford went right to the spot and got the deflection/steal without even seeing the pass happen. Smart is an amazing defensive anchor
I'm bitter.

« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
defensive highlight at 5:38 ....  OMG.

EDIT: Badly disguised profanity is still profanity. Watch the language

Also putback at 6:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNiN-aE7XUY&t=255s
God Bless Marcus Smart
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:00:26 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

lol and TP

There was a play in the 4th quarter where he created a steal, too, he yelled at Horford and pointed, and Horford went right to the spot and got the deflection/steal without even seeing the pass happen. Smart is an amazing defensive anchor

I remember that

Smart is an amazing defender.  Communication, pushing guys to the right spots.  He is rarely out of position

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2018, 12:17:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

LeBron James likely will dominate NBA free agency talk over the summer, but The King hardly is the only noteworthy player who will be available on the open market in the offseason. Marcus Smart, currently the longest-tenured member of the Boston Celtics, also will be a free agent once the 2017-18 season comes to a close. While Smart isn’t a max-contract type of player, his steady progression and unmatched intangibles likely will result in a large number of suitors. While Celtics fans surely are hoping the tenacious guard would be open to a hometown discount in order to stay in Boston, don’t expect the 24-year-old to be keen on the idea. In a recent interview on ESPN’s “The Hoop Collective” podcast, Jackie MacMullan explained where she expects Smart’s head to be at once he hits free agency. “I’ve talked to lots of people around the Celtics and around the league about Marcus Smart,” MacMullan said, as transcribed by UPROXX. “If Marcus Smart was willing to take a — let’s say Sacramento (Kings) for argument’s sake or another team that isn’t quite good and they offer him $14 million a year and the Celtics say, ‘We can’t pay you that. But we’ll pay you $12 (million).’ My question to them was will Marcus Smart take it because they’re contending, he’s a cult hero in town. Every one of them said, ‘Hell no, he’s going for the money.’ I’ve never asked him this question. But that’s the impression I get. You can’t blame young guys who want to go out to the highest bidder and thinks he should be a starter and he’s not going to be one in Boston for many years to come.” As MacMullan noted, no one could blame Smart for going to the highest bidder, and if he continues to thrive in the postseason for the Celtics, other teams around the league likely will become more willing to offer him a generous deal. Although the C’s surely would love to keep Smart in town for years to come, it’s starting to seem like they’ll face stiff competition in order to do so.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/05/nba-rumors-why-celtics-could-have-trouble-re-signing-marcus-smart/

« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I don't care what JM wrote, I can't see MS going to a bad team for marginally more $$$. If he can get $5 or $10M per year more, sure. But a couple million to go lose in Phoenix or Atlanta or Sactown? No way.

« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2018, 12:45:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I don't care what JM wrote, I can't see MS going to a bad team for marginally more $$$. If he can get $5 or $10M per year more, sure. But a couple million to go lose in Phoenix or Atlanta or Sactown? No way.

Agreed ...unless he wants to be a starter