Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28705 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2018, 08:28:16 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
So basically the pro Smart crowd used to make the case that we needed to keep Smart because he was the better player. Now they make the case that we need to keep Smart because Rozier is the better player

Rozier is proving to be an extremely clutch shot maker but he still doesn't impact the overall outcome over the course of 30+ minutes in the same way that Marcus does.  I simply believe that Marcus has a larger impact over 50-60 possessions than Rozier.

I'm just not sure this is true. Theres no doubt Marcus is better defensive player, but Rozier is pretty solid in that regard. I think the gap between their offensive abilities is greater than the gap between their defensive abilities, and I truly love the ability to stick Rozier on the floor and spread the offense five out. Now, I think its true that Marcus may be more valuable on a team with more talent than Rozier is, and it may also be true that Rozier will get more money, but my guy tells me to keep the better player, and I think that's Rozier.

I think we are mostly on the same page.  The defensive versatility of Smart carries more weight on a team with Kyrie, Jaylen, Horford, Tatum, and Horford IMO.  It's certainly not an easy call to pick one player over the other. 

My concern about Rozier is his ability to make the same offensive impact in limited minutes.  His game benefits significantly when he has 30+ MPG to establish some sort of rhythm.  The other major question is where does his clutch shooting fit into the equation?  Unfortunately he probably doesn't see the court in closing moments with a healthy team next year.

Your argument is completely fair but I personally want Marcus Smart in a potential series against Houston or Golden State.  Now if you are telling me that Kyrie's health could be a concern in the future then I would rather hedge with Rozier.  It's a tough decision either way.   

« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I have to admit I was wrong about Rozier. I just did not see him having the decision making skills necessary to be a dependable point guard. Its a testament to Rozier and to Stevens that he's ready to play at this level for the playoffs.

This is going to be almost completely about money, and just how much Ainge wants to roll the dice on next year vs the longer term. Keeping Rozier, even just for next year, will be very expensive. Teams are going to want him, and if we keep him, he's not going to get the minutes he needs. The more success this group has, the more difficult Ainge's job becomes.

What are we going to do with all this talent? Can we ask Brown and Tatum to be happy next year taking 10-12 shots each? How can you ask Marcus Morris to deal with 10 MPG? These are awesome problems to have, but they won't be easy to solve.

« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It just took some time regarding Terry

doesn't have the highest bbiq. Not a good passer. But he has become a solid "system" passer that doesn't turn over the ball. 

His left hand dribble has really improved from last season. He has no issues driving with his left now. So it has become tougher for teams to pick him apart

« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Rozier should be the answer

Lets say Smart was playing and Rozier was out

I doubt we would be up 2-0

Defense would be a little better in some areas but offensviely team wouldn't be as good

« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2018, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I have to admit I was wrong about Rozier. I just did not see him having the decision making skills necessary to be a dependable point guard. Its a testament to Rozier and to Stevens that he's ready to play at this level for the playoffs.

This is going to be almost completely about money, and just how much Ainge wants to roll the dice on next year vs the longer term. Keeping Rozier, even just for next year, will be very expensive. Teams are going to want him, and if we keep him, he's not going to get the minutes he needs. The more success this group has, the more difficult Ainge's job becomes.

What are we going to do with all this talent? Can we ask Brown and Tatum to be happy next year taking 10-12 shots each? How can you ask Marcus Morris to deal with 10 MPG? These are awesome problems to have, but they won't be easy to solve.

I can see Kyrie, Hayward, Brown, and Tatum all settling around 30 MPG next year.  Horford could see a potential drop to 27-28 during the regular season.  During blowouts I wouldn't rule out 25 or less.  I also expect Horford's shot attempts to drop even further.  He will become the ultimate facilitator for this group.  The great thing about Al is self awareness and a willingness to put the team first.

This would leave 93 minutes for the rest of the roster.  Smart, Rozier, and Morris could all be somewhere around 25 MPG.

Brad would need to coach this group to play a very fast pace during the regular season.  It's important that everyone gets involved.  Ideally we become a 110+ PPG team like Houston or Golden State.  I think this group is sustainable for at least one season without any gripes over minutes and/or shot attempts.  Rest and injuries will also allow for bench opportunities during the regular season.  Expect Kyrie to miss 10-15 games.  You are right about Rozier potentially being the odd man out though.

Starters:
Kyrie - 30 MPG - 22 PPG
Brown - 30 MPG - 16 PPG
Hayward - 30 MPG - 20 PPG
Tatum - 30 MPG - 16 PPG
Horford - 27 MPG - 10 PPG

Bench:
Smart - 25 MPG - 8 PPG
Rozier - 25 MPG - 10 PPG
Morris - 25 MPG - 11 PPG
Other bigs - 18 MPG

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:19 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Any new hot takes lol

« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2018, 10:05:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
not changing my mind

Keep Smart

trade Rozier for best pick possible.

« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2018, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Rozier is the better player but Smart is uniquely valuable, so it comes down to money, and possibly fit, and what other teams will pay.

You can't go wrong with either one.  Danny has a great problem which is that he hit on both these guys but in really different and unexpected ways.

Ironically Smart was supposed to be Rozier and Rozier was supposed to be Smart....we got em both and now here we are.

« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I prefer Smart over Rozier, nothing about being better or not, but just in general more useful to have. Rozier's role will be quite limited once we're back at full health, and his offensive contributions which may give him the upper hand over Smart will be vastly diminished.

« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I could definitely imagine Smart being the guy that more NBA players would rather play with.

I'm not 100% sure he's the guy more coaches and GMs would rather have.

Plus he has to actually be there. On the court. Not nursing a messed up hand.

« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Any new hot takes lol

Here's my hot take: In 4 games against the Bucks without Smart, the Celtics allowed 108.25 ppg. In one game with Smart back, the Bucks scored only 87 points.

No, I'm not saying this is all thanks to Marcus Smart, second coming of Bill Russell. But I do believe that there is no way to quantify the psychological effect someone like Marcus has on his teammates by going out and showing what real, full, 100% effort it night in and night out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Plan in offseason

-Trade Marcus Morris for prospects/pick
-Sign Smart to a 4 year 12 million per season deal

Keep Rozier for another season and worry about his extension later

I think this is the best way to go, to try to keep both

« Reply #177 on: April 25, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Plan in offseason

Why move Morris? He is on an absolute bargain contract and provides way more scoring than Semi will be able to anytime soon.

We shouldn't move a piece that could be crucial to a playoff run when we will likely be looking at contending for a chip in '19
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #178 on: April 25, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Plan in offseason

Why move Morris? He is on an absolute bargain contract and provides way more scoring than Semi will be able to anytime soon.

We shouldn't move a piece that could be crucial to a playoff run when we will likely be looking at contending for a chip in '19

yes or no

you want to keep Smart or Morris?

The answer should be easy

« Reply #179 on: April 25, 2018, 10:46:21 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Plan in offseason

yes or no

you want to keep Smart or Morris?

The answer should be easy
Why can't we have both? Morris is contracted until 2019
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)