Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28723 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
So basically the pro Smart crowd used to make the case that we needed to keep Smart because he was the better player. Now they make the case that we need to keep Smart because Rozier is the better player

I'm not sure who argued that but my reasons have nothing to do with thinking Rozier is better or worse.  My argument is based strictly within the context of our team going forward.  I firmly believe that Smart is more valuable on a team with Kyrie, Hayward, Horford, Tatum, and Jaylen.  The discrepancy in value only increases once we face an elite team like Golden State or Houston.  Rozier is proving to be an extremely clutch shot maker but he still doesn't impact the overall outcome over the course of 30+ minutes in the same way that Marcus does.  I simply believe that Marcus has a larger impact over 50-60 possessions than Rozier.  Let's also not forget that Marcus has made plenty of clutch plays in big games.   If I was a borderline playoff team that needed scoring punch then Rozier might be my choice.

Does everyone remember when Curry dropped 49 points against us in a tight game against the Warriors?  Does this happen if Marcus Smart had been playing?  Most likely not.  Brad has also cited Marcus as the real defensive leader when Horford is on the bench.  This type of leadership will make a real impact when we play elite teams on the biggest stage.  How many times have we seen Marcus come up with a steal, assist or score a bucket, and then take a charge in the 4th quarter, all on consecutive possessions? 

« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm firmly in the "Keep Rozier and re-sign Smart" camp. We can figure out what to do with Rozier in the summer of 2019, but I want us to go for it next year.

Yes, it would be nice to get an asset for Rozier over the summer, but I'd rather see if an Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford lineup with Rozier/Smart/Morris/Theis/(Baynes or Monroe) off the bench can win it all next year
I'm bitter.

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2018, 09:25:32 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm firmly in the "Keep Rozier and re-sign Smart" camp. We can figure out what to do with Rozier in the summer of 2019, but I want us to go for it next year.

Yes, it would be nice to get an asset for Rozier over the summer, but I'd rather see if an Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford lineup with Rozier/Smart/Morris/Theis/(Baynes or Monroe) off the bench can win it all next year

I lean in favor of keeping both next season but I'm also open to Danny trading Rozier for the right value.  I would be looking for mid 1st round pick and a veteran combo guard in a contract year.  The goal of a deal like this would be to minimize the loss of Rozier for next year, while adding a nice rookie contract that will help us financially when it comes time to give big money to the rest of our core group.  Not sure if we can land this type of return but Danny should definitely try to find it.   

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This, all day. I think that team is a championship team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2018, 10:01:15 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I understand all arguments for both but I really think this comes down to Terry wanting to be a starter in this league.  He is showing that he is a starter and can hit big time shots.  His value is at its highest and he has opened the eyes of the league.  Scary Terry is becoming a name to know and there will be a lot of teams after him.

Smart on the other hand with his injuries, lack of shooting and bonehead off court issues has lowered his value.   I think the C's keep him because he is vital to the team in his role and he will not command a large salary. 

I could also see Terry playing under the qualifying offer so he can hit unrestricted free agency if he is not traded.  That's two more years of Terry but I don't see him here that long.  If you can secure a top 10 pick for him then you do it. 

« Reply #155 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Who wants to go help me hijack a Brinks truck?

« Reply #156 on: April 17, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Who wants to go help me hijack a Brinks truck?

Isaiah Thomas volunteers!

:P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #157 on: April 17, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 30
  • Believe in Boston

Love Terry but a lottery pick for this guy would be a great return for this asset
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #158 on: April 17, 2018, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Love Terry but a lottery pick for this guy would be a great return for this asset
Wrong. A lottery pick for 2018 ain't coming off the bench with the proven ability to light it up in the playoffs next year when you're going for a title. The time to trade for picks is over. You own the Sac 2019 pick. You own the Memphis 2019 pick which could end up a top lottery pick in a year or two. You own the LAC 2019 pick. You own all your own picks. You don't need more picks. You need proven young players that can put up 20 PPG in the playoffs. You have that in Rozier. You keep him.

« Reply #159 on: April 17, 2018, 11:46:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This unit is slowly proving that Marcus Smart might not be essential after all. 

I'm a Smart fan but it looks like he can be replaced on both ends of the floor. Especially offensively (and his shaky shooting)

Rozier is still not perfect and not a true PG or anything. But he is relentless. Clutch shooter. I don't think I have even seen him breathe hard. 

Team should extend Rozier and hopefully he will provide a home discount 8 to 10 million per season

« Reply #160 on: April 17, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Wrong. A lottery pick for 2018 ain't coming off the bench with the proven ability to light it up in the playoffs next year when you're going for a title. The time to trade for picks is over. You own the Sac 2019 pick. You own the Memphis 2019 pick which could end up a top lottery pick in a year or two. You own the LAC 2019 pick. You own all your own picks. You don't need more picks. You need proven young players that can put up 20 PPG in the playoffs. You have that in Rozier. You keep him.

This all day long, over and over.  Terry is filling in for Kyrie and we are playing great, and he has stepped up big time.  The only thing I worry about with Terry is getting him enough minutes next year once we get kyrie back.  It will be a fun problem.

We should bring as much of this team back as possible.

« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2018, 12:32:09 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We can't pay everyone. Danny is always thinking 3-4 years ahead. I've come to terms that he will trade rozier for a pick and expiring veteran as someone else mentioned.

The other reason is we have kyrie and will probably be backed up by smart and Larkin. The need for rozier is softened by Hayward and kyrie return. I have a feeling we will lock up both smart and Larkin

Unless danny sees something special in rozier which you never know may be the case

The main goal of trading rozier is to lessen a financial blow by creating cap space,  to get something in return for a guy who we will not have as many available minutes for, and  To get a pick that might make the difference for an Anthony davis bidding war
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:41:22 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I owe Terry an apology. I didn't think he had this in him.

His warts arent quite as bad as I thought and his strengths are better than I recognized. Very very pleased with his development.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
The reality is someone out there is going to offer Terry a lot of money and we can't afford to pay him.  So we have to trade him and get back an asset.  Smart will be cheaper, so he'll be the one we keep.  Its a numbers game.  Remember there aren't gonna be so many minutes when Hayward gets back.

« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2018, 01:38:15 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So basically the pro Smart crowd used to make the case that we needed to keep Smart because he was the better player. Now they make the case that we need to keep Smart because Rozier is the better player

Rozier is proving to be an extremely clutch shot maker but he still doesn't impact the overall outcome over the course of 30+ minutes in the same way that Marcus does.  I simply believe that Marcus has a larger impact over 50-60 possessions than Rozier.

I'm just not sure this is true. Theres no doubt Marcus is better defensive player, but Rozier is pretty solid in that regard. I think the gap between their offensive abilities is greater than the gap between their defensive abilities, and I truly love the ability to stick Rozier on the floor and spread the offense five out. Now, I think its true that Marcus may be more valuable on a team with more talent than Rozier is, and it may also be true that Rozier will get more money, but my guy tells me to keep the better player, and I think that's Rozier.