Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28701 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was sure that Smart was going to make more than Rozier, but now I am not so certain. Rozier has gotten a lot of hype recently as people have taken notice of his incredible motor, rebounding, and ability to score in a variety of ways. Smart, otoh, has had a fairly disappointing contract year and recently made a bonehead mistake that even the coach is talking about publicly.

This may not be fair to Smart - who has proven to be one of the premier defenders in this league - but this could benefit us in contract negotiations with him and in trade negotiations with Rozier as he still has another year left on his contract.

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Rozier gets a triple double in his first start while Smart sits at home because he can't handle his stuff.

This debate is over.

It's Rozier by a slam dunk, almost literally.

Eja117 in Rozier’s previous horrible nine game stretch where he averaged 7.1 pts, 2.3 asts, 3.6 rebs on 31.9/27.9/78.5 shooting splits:

Eja117 after Rozier’s one good game against a terrible Knicks team:

;D ::)
That's basically the way it is every single game Smart's in. He clangs 9 shots in a row, does nothing, then makes one good play at the end.

That's when he actually shows up to do his job, which he isn't doing.

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2018, 03:46:51 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Rozier gets a triple double in his first start while Smart sits at home because he can't handle his stuff.

This debate is over.

Eja117 in Rozier’s previous horrible nine game stretch where he averaged 7.1 pts, 2.3 asts, 3.6 rebs on 31.9/27.9/78.5 shooting splits:

That's basically the way it is every single game Smart's in. He clangs 9 shots in a row, does nothing, then makes one good play at the end.

It seems like you misunderstand what Smart's job is on this team. He's the best, most versatile defender on the Celtics and he runs the second unit offense. Defending and initiating the offense after Kyrie and Horford are his jobs.

If he's going to be on the floor, he has to shoot and try to score but being a shooter/scorer is not really his job.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rozy

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This debate is over.

It seems like you misunderstand what Smart's job is on this team. He's the best, most versatile defender on the Celtics and he runs the second unit offense. Defending and initiating the offense after Kyrie and Horford are his jobs.

If he's going to be on the floor, he has to shoot and try to score but being a shooter/scorer is not really his job.
Then why is he shooting 10 shots a game...as much as Jayson Tatum, who's job is to shoot and score. Why is he taking the second most 3 point shots(4.6) a game on the team then?

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2018, 04:13:33 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
You keep both, letting as asset walk for nothing in free agency is a bad idea when their roster slot will be filled by a vet min guy.

They could conceivably keep Smart in the offseason without going into the tax. Then when it comes time to re-sign Rozier they can go into the tax to do so.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

This debate is over.

Then why is he shooting 10 shots a game...as much as Jayson Tatum, who's job is to shoot and score. Why is he taking the second most 3 point shots(4.6) a game on the team then?

Like I said above, if he's on the floor he has to at least be trying to score otherwise he's making things even harder for the rest of the offense. Is 10 shots too many? Probably. Does Smart take shots he ought not to? Yeah. But that doesn't change the fact that his primary job on this team is not his scoring.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

This debate is over.

Like I said above, if he's on the floor he has to at least be trying to score otherwise he's making things even harder for the rest of the offense. Is 10 shots too many? Probably. Does Smart take shots he ought not to? Yeah. But that doesn't change the fact that his primary job on this team is not his scoring.
I agree but someone needs to tell Smart that his job isn't to be a primary shooter/scorer because he has that mindset without having the ability.

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2018, 01:31:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I just want to tell y'all that the next time someone brings up that I suggested the Pats look at what they could get for Brady back when the Jets were coming into Gillette and beating the Pats in playoff games with Sanchez I will remind everyone that I was on top of the Smart thing like a year before anyone else.    Granted the Smart book isn't written yet.

I also jumped on the trade Sully train after he beat his girlfriend like a year before he went Toronto and two years before he went to China.

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
If the question is just Smart v. Rozier without context of who else is involved, I keep Smart without question. Smart on the floor in the last 5 minutes outweighs anything TR brings and compensates for anything Marcus costs the team with his shooting.

If C's get/keep Tyreke Evans, that changes the equation for me.  With Tyreke in hand, I keep TR.

« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ainge loves Smart and Rozzay because he sees himself in both of them.

Ainge was scrappy, at times grimy and dirty and a flopper and crier at times...like Smart.

Ainge was gutsy on offense and would go 100 mph and hit big shots...like Rozzay.

« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2018, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Smart. Sign him to a 3 year 30 million dollar deal

« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2018, 04:11:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Marcus Smart. Sign him to a 3 year 30 million dollar deal
That will be too much given this offseason financial dynamics. I doubt Smart gets a deal that per year is higher than the MLE. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take his qualifying offer.

« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Annnnnd this discussion is over.

Kinda a fun thread for me to look back at.

« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Annnnnd this discussion is over.

Kinda a fun thread for me to look back at.

Haha. Poll shows I voted Smart... Depends on the price I guess.