Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28552 times)

Re: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2017, 05:06:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I thought Smart had a nice game last night. Only 2 three-point attempts (he was 1/2) and he was doing a lot of his offensive work closer to the basket. Brad should put the clip of John Collins hurting himself jumping so hard at Smart's pump fake on a loop and project it inside Smart's locker.

Get to the rim, pump fake, get to the line. That should be were Smart makes his living.

So you would tell Brad to ask Marcus to take fewer threes? And what do you think Brad would say in return? He's the guy who lets Smart take five threes a game. He's the head coach. What do you think his reasons are?
Not at all. I think Marcus should be focusing more on that part of his game because that's where I think he can be most effective. For Brad, it's not about telling a player what not to do, it's about positive reinforcement. You don't have to say "take fewer three's" if you say "you were getting really good stuff around the basket," and if Marcus is inclined to listen to his coach, that will probably result in a more judicious allotment of 3's.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: If it came down to it who would you pick: Rozier or Smart?(Poll)
« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2017, 05:09:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I pay both men and hang banners

This.
I would trade Hayward if I had to.

And that is why Cbloggers wouldn't ever be GM's in real life, lol.

We are 9-2 without Hayward.
We don't need him.

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2017, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I pay both men and hang banners

This.
I would trade Hayward if I had to.

And that is why Cbloggers wouldn't ever be GM's in real life, lol.

We are 9-2 without Hayward.
We don't need him.
If we want to win another title in the very near future we will. I think you are seriously underestimating just how good Gordon Hayward is. He will add another offensive dynamic that this team will need to have if it is ever to compete with the GSW.

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2017, 07:23:49 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I thought Smart had a nice game last night. Only 2 three-point attempts (he was 1/2) and he was doing a lot of his offensive work closer to the basket. Brad should put the clip of John Collins hurting himself jumping so hard at Smart's pump fake on a loop and project it inside Smart's locker.

Get to the rim, pump fake, get to the line. That should be were Smart makes his living.

So you would tell Brad to ask Marcus to take fewer threes? And what do you think Brad would say in return? He's the guy who lets Smart take five threes a game. He's the head coach. What do you think his reasons are?
Not at all. I think Marcus should be focusing more on that part of his game because that's where I think he can be most effective. For Brad, it's not about telling a player what not to do, it's about positive reinforcement. You don't have to say "take fewer three's" if you say "you were getting really good stuff around the basket," and if Marcus is inclined to listen to his coach, that will probably result in a more judicious allotment of 3's.

I think you missed the point. Brad isn't telling Marcus to shoot fewer threes. He isn't doing it directly, and he isn't doing it indirectly. He wants Marcus shooting those threes. Why?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2017, 08:03:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

I think you missed the point. Brad isn't telling Marcus to shoot fewer threes. He isn't doing it directly, and he isn't doing it indirectly. He wants Marcus shooting those threes. Why?
Since I'm not Brad Stevens, I can't say for sure. My guess is, he's not telling Marcus what shots to take because that's not how he coaches. It seems more like he preaches ball movement and  "good shots" and an open shot is a good one. Furthermore, he seems to understand how much confidence can affect someone's game so he's unlikely to tell anyone "Don't do that," unless they're operating outside the gameplan.

Anyway, it's my opinion that Smart would be more effective if he turned some of his 3's into drives to the rim where, when he's patient, he can be more effective. Not that he should stop shooting them, but that he should focus more on his game closer to the basket, as he seemed to last night. But that's just one ignoramus's opinion.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2017, 09:04:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Smart leaving the team is addition by subtraction right now.

Absurd.
We'd never miss him. Not for a minute.
Like I said. We'd never miss Smart. Not for a minute. Every team in the league hopes we resign him.

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:44 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Rozier is an all around better player
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2017, 09:43:10 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I think a lot of this team's confidence and never-say-die attitude comes directly from Smart. A lot of people were nervous this summer about the culture of the team translating after turning over so much of the roster and Stevens and Horford are a big part of that but I think the biggest part is Smart's leadership. There's no way to quantify how inspiring it is to see someone like Smart playing as hard as he does every single night no matter what.

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Rozier gets more rebs per game (about 4.8 to 4.4) despite playing about 7 minutes less per game.

Also Smart hasn't shot over 50% in a game all year.

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2017, 09:46:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
One game doesn't change much.

I'd still prefer Smart, but not if he's going to be out of our price range.  I understand the logic behind keeping Rozier, and night's like tonight make that case stronger.  But nights like this seem to come few and far between for T-Roze.

I'd still prefer a more consistent vet in place of one of them.

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Take away Smart and the identity of the team will change.  This is a team that plays hard more often and more consistently than any other team in the league. Smart is the reason.  Once he locks in, his teammates pick up the intensity as well and he locks in during most games.

Granted when you add Haywood, the team is still going to be really, really good, but without Smart,  they're also going to drop some games on off nights - games that they probably win with Smart on the court in the 4th quarter. 

Plus when you're putting Kyrie, Haywood, Tatum and Horford out there at the end of games - you can afford to have one guy who can't shoot out there with them.

The thing with Smart though is he shoots way too many 3's.  He's got to reign that in.

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't believe the theory that the team tries harder because Smart is out there being a top 20 defensive player and the worst offensive player in the league.

I don't believe the identity of the Spurs back in the day was due to Bruce Bowen. I don't believe the identity of the Clippers today is Patrick Beverly. I don't believe the identity of the Celtics was Perk.

I don't believe the identity of the Patriots is Malcolm Butler or Slater.

I don't buy it at all. I think the identity is Brad Stevens and the identity of the Patriots is Belichick

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
at the same cost i would EASILY pick smart

Easily?

Rozier has been important
easily

very easily

but then I fell in love with Smart from day 1  ;D

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't believe the theory that the team tries harder because Smart is out there being a top 20 defensive player and the worst offensive player in the league.

I don't believe the identity of the Spurs back in the day was due to Bruce Bowen. I don't believe the identity of the Clippers today is Patrick Beverly. I don't believe the identity of the Celtics was Perk.

I don't believe the identity of the Patriots is Malcolm Butler or Slater.

I don't buy it at all. I think the identity is Brad Stevens and the identity of the Patriots is Belichick

Defensive guys can be the identity of the team but I think it is rare in basketball and more common in Football.   Ray Lewis of the Ravens is a great example.  Off the top of my head, Bill Russell is the only guy I can think of in basketball who was truly the leader of a team.

« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2017, 08:25:21 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Smart leaving the team is addition by subtraction right now.

Absurd.
We'd never miss him. Not for a minute.
Like I said. We'd never miss Smart. Not for a minute. Every team in the league hopes we resign him.

Yup.

It's like half this blog just gets a brain block when it comes to Smart, forgetting that a pace and space offense is based on guards that can create space with shooting.  Smart keeps shooting because the threat of the 3 can create space, but opponents are starting to sag off. No good.

Oh, but we can't go without Smart. Just like we couldn't win without Tony Turnover Allen.  Or Perk. Or (god help us) Antoine Walker.  It's a next-man-up league.  No freaking bench role player is irreplaceable.