Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28559 times)

Re: Who's your 6th man and who gets the chop?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 01:40:56 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Not a big enough sample size, but the stats favor Rozier this season.

Bigger issue is that it seems likely someone will overpay for Smart and I wouldn't match it given guys on the Cs that will surpass him in a year or two.

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Comes down to if Smart takes a team friendly deal. Given he can't show better offensive numbers still I think he should take a lesser deal and avoid pressure of a new fan base. We accept what he is already.

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Smart is an obvious choice for me. Rozier is a better defensive rebounder but Smart is a better playmaker, defender, screen setter, and seemingly has higher IQ. He also seems to come up with a lot of clutch plays, whether it’s a 3 or an drawn charge or an offensive rebound. The team plays better with Smart on the floor.

Stats don't back you up on this. The team is statistically better with Troz in the game but not by enough to go Troz is the better player. These 2 guys are a wash.

ok fine

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 07:43:45 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Probably Rozier just because of the contract situation. (ie I don't have to commit long term yet)

I think Smart will remain the better player but its tough to pay a guard a big deal who shoots so poorly.

Rozier is only a year behind...This might take a cap guru to accurately describe this , but I think we could match a 18million per offer sheet, waive end of the roster; and then we would only slightly be into the luxury tax.

I think the bigger roster crunch will be Baynes. Pretty sure we won't have Bird Rights, and he will be looking for a multi-year deal for sure. However, I presume we could sign Baynes before the matching date for Marcus.

This really seems like a June/July thread...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Easily Smart. Rozier is better than Smart on offense, but he isn't great--he's still a below-average shooter and a bad passer for a PG. The gap between them on defense is bigger than the gap between them on offense. There's a reason that Stevens always goes to Smart, and not Rozier, in late-game situations.

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 08:49:09 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Pls Danny, keep both!

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Smart is an obvious choice for me. Rozier is a better defensive rebounder but Smart is a better playmaker, defender, screen setter, and seemingly has higher IQ. He also seems to come up with a lot of clutch plays, whether it’s a 3 or an drawn charge or an offensive rebound. The team plays better with Smart on the floor.

Stats don't back you up on this. The team is statistically better with Troz in the game but not by enough to go Troz is the better player. These 2 guys are a wash.
Exactly. They're basically a wash. It's just that Smart gets the hype and was the 6th pick. He's not worth the extra money. He'll command an extra 20-33% more, but he's at best 7% better player. Maybe. Despite being in the league a year longer.

When a guy is the 6th pick several years in you probably shouldn't be talking about him as a potential 6th man. Not really what we were aiming for.  There has to be some accountability for that like we did with KO and Sully.  Ok. This isn't what we signed up for. Now they're gone. Let the Heat pay KO.

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 09:08:13 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Exactly. They're basically a wash. It's just that Smart gets the hype and was the 6th pick. He's not worth the extra money. He'll command an extra 20-33% more, but he's at best 7% better player. Maybe. Despite being in the league a year longer.

When a guy is the 6th pick several years in you probably shouldn't be talking about him as a potential 6th man. Not really what we were aiming for.  There has to be some accountability for that like we did with KO and Sully.  Ok. This isn't what we signed up for. Now they're gone. Let the Heat pay KO.

Curious how you come up with 7%.

Also, why should Marcus be blamed for being picked 6th. I'm not sure what you mean by accountability. Marcus appears to be playing hard almost all the time.

I'm not convinced that Smart has hit his prime. I think he can get better. Though I don't want to pay him more than 20m per year.

If it came down to it who would you pick: Rozier or Smart?(Poll)
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 10:10:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If only one contract is available (15 million x 4 years).

Who would you give it to - Smart or Rozier?

It is looking more and more like the team wont be able to keep both for the long term.. Unfortunately

Re: If it came down to it who would you pick: Rozier or Smart?(Poll)
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think we just had this question yesterday / earlier today...

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=94201.0

Yours is a little different with an all things being equal scenario. I am going to have to go with none of the above - $15M/yr is way too much for either of these guys, although Smart is probably a little more worthy than Rozier (at the moment).

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
at the same cost i would EASILY pick smart
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Easily?

Rozier has been important

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 10:56:02 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This is the 15th rozier vs smart thread. Lol wonder how many we will have by the end of the season

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Easily?

Rozier has been important

Not as important as Smart.

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2017, 11:16:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This is the 15th rozier vs smart thread. Lol wonder how many we will have by the end of the season

Because its a big deal... and it looks like only one will remain with the team (for the long term) after this season

Both will want fair contracts but after this is settled does it matter - to start or come off the bench?

Smart has shown indications he doesn't care (and remember reading before he volunteered to come off the bench).

Not sure with Rozier...  his future ambitions could be wanting to start