Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28551 times)

Re: Who's your 6th man and who gets the chop?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Preferably neither.

You don't want either on the team long term?

I should say that we don't know if either will be comfortable being a long term back up, I can't remember a single player that chose to come off the bench during his prime. I think Smart could start for a team and perhaps for the right price and situation, teams would want Rozier starting for them too.

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hoping the LA pick conveys at #2 or #3 and Luka Doncic is this team's 6th man for the next 4 years.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that pick won't convey or will convey at #5 (in which case I'd rather it become 2019 Kings Pick).

Hopefully they trade Lopez or something mid-season to help out, but there just seems to be like 3-4 EXTREMELY BAD teams this year that are worse than the Lakers too (like Atlanta, Dallas, Sacramento).
Teams landing at 6 through 9 have quite often gotten into the 2nd and 3rd draft slots. Just gotta have some luck. Think positive my friend.

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 08:10:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Preferably neither.
I think both players are okay for now, but long term I want better shooters coming off the bench. As I said, if the LA pick conveys, I think that will probably doom Smart.

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:14:14 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Smart and it's not close.

For some reason, while everybody always (rightfully) rags on Smart for his shooting, nobody seems to mind that Rozier has never shot 32% from 3 and never shot 39% from the floor for a season, including this season. He's a terrific athlete and his percentages are marginally better than Smart's but he is also a terrible shooter.

Smart is a better playmaker, more versatile defender, a better leader and has more heart than almost anyone in the league. There's a reason Stevens plays Marcus more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 08:18:20 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Probably Rozier just because of the contract situation. (ie I don't have to commit long term yet)

I think Smart will remain the better player but its tough to pay a guard a big deal who shoots so poorly.

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Smart and it's not close.

For some reason, while everybody always (rightfully) rags on Smart for his shooting, nobody seems to mind that Rozier has never shot 32% from 3 and never shot 39% from the floor for a season, including this season. He's a terrific athlete and his percentages are marginally better than Smart's but he is also a terrible shooter.

Smart is a better playmaker, more versatile defender, a better leader and has more heart than almost anyone in the league. There's a reason Stevens plays Marcus more.

Agreed. The only things Rozier is definitely better at are rebounding and getting into the lane (but not finishing).  And while Rozier is younger, it's only by 11 days, so that doesn't make a difference.  I'd love to keep them both long term, but if I had to choose then it's Smart 110% of the time
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we can only sign one and the contracts are exactly the same, I probably go with Smart.

However, given that Smart's contract is up a year earlier and it is assumed he will get paid considerably more, then the choice has to be Rozier. With so many additional max contracts on the horizon (Irving and hopefully Jaylen/Tatum), the luxury tax penalty is going to be too much to bear.

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Agreed
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Marcus wins this this one for me.  I trust in Ainge's ability to replace Rozier's strengths through the draft.  What Marcus brings is much more unique and difficult to find.  With that said, I'm still a big fan of Terry. 

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 10:42:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Probably Rozier just because of the contract situation. (ie I don't have to commit long term yet)

I think Smart will remain the better player but its tough to pay a guard a big deal who shoots so poorly.

Yes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Smart was the 6th pick in the draft and hasn't turned into a starter yet, 6th picks are supposed to become starters, but he could on a different team.  Rozier was the 16th pick, a place where a bench role-player is an acceptable result for the draft position.  Smart is going to get offered more money elsewhere but more than that a bigger role.  His role with us is going to have to shrink next year with Hayward back and Brown developing well.  Last year smart  closed games as our small forward with IT and Bradley in the back court.  We slid Crowder to the 4 and we extremely small.  Now that we have legit wings with size there is no need to play Smart at the 3, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and Morris can all play the 3.  So Smart will play the 2, but if we want Hayward, Tatum, and Brown on the court together we can play Hayward at the 3, Tatum at the 4, Brown at the 2.  So were do we put smart?  We don't.  If we want to close with Hayward at the 3, Tatum at the 4, Brown at the 2, and we will, then smart is just a 6th man and he really is so much better than that.   If he will take less money to have a lesser role moving forward (remember that we have 3 2019 1st's to go along with the players we are currently developing) then sure keep him over Rozier, but thats probably not happening.  Also as great a defender that Smart is, Rozier is closing the gap and better suited to be a long term bench player.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Preferably neither.

I think Smart can be a good player getting solid minutes on a championship team. I usually think a good 6th man is a scorer, but I don't think that needs to be the case.

I'm more concerned about his price tag. I think there's going to be a couple of teams that are willing to overpay. In that case, see ya Marcus.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 11:29:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Given we are going into deep luxury tax very soon, if we had to choose between Rozier and Smart as our future 6th man, who is your pick? Each brings something different to the table as Rozier is more about instant offence, going 100 mph on both ends of the court. Smart is a jack of all trades who is more calculating on offence with a better passing game but lacks a consistent shot, but is a pit bull on defence and cultural leader.

I guess it comes down to financial expense and which is better at leading the second unit, personally I am very torn as i feel Rozier would make the better 6th man but Smart's all round defensive play may be huge come the playoff and when Tatum eventually returns to the bench next season Smart's weakness may be less glaring.
Don't think Tatum is gonna come off the bench next season. Starting lineup against the Cavs was Kyrie - Brown - Hayward - Tatum - Horford. I can definitely see Tatum playing the 4, especially since he is an elite rebounder at the SF position.

Anyway, I voted for Smart. It's not even close for me. Guess I'm gonna raise some eyebrows but I have never liked Rozier. In all honesty, I want us to trade him. As much as he has improved this season, I have no trust whatsoever in him to handle the ball in the crunch. Cannot play on a set tempo, just runs full speed up and down the court. That's a major problem come playoff time. In fact, CBS was mostly using him off the ball as a weak side shooter during the playoffs.

Love Smart. Hope he signs a long-term contract with the C's next summer.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:40:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 01:21:12 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Smart is an obvious choice for me. Rozier is a better defensive rebounder but Smart is a better playmaker, defender, screen setter, and seemingly has higher IQ. He also seems to come up with a lot of clutch plays, whether it’s a 3 or an drawn charge or an offensive rebound. The team plays better with Smart on the floor.
- LilRip

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 01:21:29 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlrGcQDtK90

Plays like this are routine for Marcus and incredibly rare for Terry.
Easy choice for me
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens