Poll

If you had to choose, who stays?

Terry Rozier
58 (42.6%)
Marcus Smart
78 (57.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll  (Read 28550 times)

Keep Smart or Rozier (merged threads) Poll
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:27:20 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Given we are going into deep luxury tax very soon, if we had to choose between Rozier and Smart as our future 6th man, who is your pick? Each brings something different to the table as Rozier is more about instant offence, going 100 mph on both ends of the court. Smart is a jack of all trades who is more calculating on offence with a better passing game but lacks a consistent shot, but is a pit bull on defence and cultural leader.

I guess it comes down to financial expense and which is better at leading the second unit, personally I am very torn as i feel Rozier would make the better 6th man but Smart's all round defensive play may be huge come the playoff and when Tatum eventually returns to the bench next season Smart's weakness may be less glaring.

Re: Who's your 6th man and who gets the chop?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
That is one tough choice. Glad I trust Danny.

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:18 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Well, Smart is playing himself into an affordable contract with his lack of improvement offensively, so I'd still say him. I think his elite defense, better passing and playmaking, and higher BBIQ are more valuable to us long-term than Rozier's better shooting and scoring, especially once Hayward gets back.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:29 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
I know Terry has improved a lot.  Hopefully he keeps improving.  But right now I would have to say keep Smart.  He impacts winning too much.  He has the knack for making the big play when the game is on the line.  He is still a better def player than Terry.

I will say if Terry keeps improving, and he can learn to utilize his speed better on D, and not have as many lost moments when he is switching on D this might become a really difficult decision.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 01:58:01 AM »

• Bill Walton
I know Terry has improved a lot.  Hopefully he keeps improving.  But right now I would have to say keep Smart.  He impacts winning too much.  He has the knack for making the big play when the game is on the line.  He is still a better def player than Terry.

I will say if Terry keeps improving, and he can learn to utilize his speed better on D, and not have as many lost moments when he is switching on D this might become a really difficult decision.

I've always been a huge Smart fan but this season has scared me when he admitted that he was over weight and seems to have only lost 14 pounds because it was a contract year, I can't remember a top level player who was overweight for the first 3 years of their career.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 02:00:30 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

I've always been a huge Smart fan but this season has scared me when he admitted that he was over weight and seems to have only lost 14 pounds because it was a contract year, I can't remember a top level player who was overweight for the first 3 years of their career.

I guess i am more the opposite, I am glad he finally slimmed down.  more explosive, more quickness.  lets put it this way, who do I want on the court at the end of a close game in the playoffs Smart or Rozier, I still say Smart for that.  That is really what it comes down to for me.

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 03:57:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think his weight loss is more due to team circumstance. This year (especially pre-Hayward injury) had much better wing depth than many of our previous teams. Last season Smart played quite a lot of 3, so being 235-240 and using that weight to box out guys like Tristan Thompson was needed
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 04:08:58 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
Very tough question. Either will do well if they have to go somewhere else. Both contribute to the Celtics. I would have to keep Rozier as I feel he has the higher ceiling due to his scoring.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:13:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
After his solid pre-season, including jacked shooting numbers, it would have to have been tempting to sign Marcus to the extension. But then Marcus goes back to his old shooting self (that's not a knock by the way, Marcus is one of my favorite play-makers, and his mind meld with Theis is at times a thing of scary beauty), but YET AGAIN, Danny is proved right by not extending Marcus, checking the market next year, maintaining flexibility etc...

If someone offers Marcus something insane like a near max, then we will have no option but to go all in on Mr Untradeable.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 05:30:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

I guess i am more the opposite, I am glad he finally slimmed down.  more explosive, more quickness.  lets put it this way, who do I want on the court at the end of a close game in the playoffs Smart or Rozier, I still say Smart for that.  That is really what it comes down to for me.
Yea wingdepth and also he basicaly said it himself he was phat and out of shame, also wore a "mens corset" to look more decent/sportsman like.
I love Marcus, but he needed 3 years to get in the right shape. Better late then never.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »

• Bill Walton
Haha still can't be split, I'm glad I am not the only one torn between the two.

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Well, Smart is playing himself into an affordable contract with his lack of improvement offensively, so I'd still say him. I think his elite defense, better passing and playmaking, and higher BBIQ are more valuable to us long-term than Rozier's better shooting and scoring, especially once Hayward gets back.

^.  This .

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hoping the LA pick conveys at #2 or #3 and Luka Doncic is this team's 6th man for the next 4 years.

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Hoping the LA pick conveys at #2 or #3 and Luka Doncic is this team's 6th man for the next 4 years.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that pick won't convey or will convey at #5 (in which case I'd rather it become 2019 Kings Pick).

Hopefully they trade Lopez or something mid-season to help out, but there just seems to be like 3-4 EXTREMELY BAD teams this year that are worse than the Lakers too (like Atlanta, Dallas, Sacramento).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Preferably neither.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes