Who do you take

Simmons
44 (62.9%)
Brown
26 (37.1%)
Other - explain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown  (Read 10436 times)

Re: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 06:07:20 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Two completely different players. One is a point guard one is a small forward. Simmons is a good PG and Brown is a good SF. One has a ceiling of Magic the other has a ceiling of LeBron. Who is better between magic and LeBron? Who the hell knows. I'd rate them equal at this point: future all star.

I'm not singling you out, as many have made the comparison, but the whole Magic Johnson ceiling idea is ridiculous. There have been many tall players who could dribble, pass, rebound, and who also struggled to shoot. The thing that made Earvin Johnson "Magic", was his deep desire to win and being a team leader. Since seeing him playing for LSU, I have not seen any sign of either of those traits. The best comparison I have seen is Lamar Odom.

I'm not sure we agree with what a ceiling is. Is he currently Magic Johnson? No. Does he have the physical tools and skill to eventually replicate his game? Yes.

I'm not sure if you are old enough to remember Magic's first few years, but his nickname was "Tragic" Johnson due to reckless play. So far, he is playing very well. Also, Lamar Odom was never a point guard, and to be quite frank, never played as good in his prime as what Simmons is currently showing. So if Odom is his ceiling, in your opinion, he's already reached it.

No, it was because he choked in the 84 Finals. I think they came up with the "Tragic" moniker after he let the clock run out without attempt a shot that sent a game into OT.

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2017, 07:02:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Good to see the homerism set aside with some sensible voting.  Brown is performing significantly better than I expected

Of course he's performing better than you expected because, with all due respect, from what I've seen so far you're either a Celtics pessimist or a disguised Sixers fan.

To the rest of us, it's not that surprising at all.

If I had to redraft the 2016 draft right now, I'd take Brown over Simmons for the Celtics due to the fact that we already have our playmaker. I'd take Simmons over Brown for the Sixers. They're both playing exceptional basketball and the decision is certainly not "clear." I believe that Brown has a  higher ceiling than Simmons. He's the kind of talent that can become your Jimmy Butler, LeBron James, Kahwi Leonard, type unstoppable 2 way wings which are super valuable in the NBA. Simmons will make his teammates much better like a good point guard should, but I think that defenses will learn to control his scoring very, very soon. He should not be averaging 18.5 ppg, and you'll continue to see well coached teams (like Boston) limit him to about 10 ppg.
No.  I just don't wear green colored goggles.  I base my evaluations of draft prospects on their college play.  Whether someone gets drafted by us, doesn't change my evaluation of that prospect.  I was consistent on my evaluation of Fultz before and after the trade unlike some on here.  What changes my assessment is their actual performance in the NBA. 

As for a re-draft, you don't base it on your team's makeup.  Giannis is at the top of a 2013 re-draft regardless of whether you have Lebron or Durant or some bum at SF.  The 2013 draft also illustrates very clearly the need to wait for a few years to allow players to develop (or not) before doing a re-draft.  However if you were to do one today 29 out of 30 GMs would choose Simmons and Danny might too if it was anonymous.   

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Good to see the homerism set aside with some sensible voting.  Brown is performing significantly better than I expected

Of course he's performing better than you expected because, with all due respect, from what I've seen so far you're either a Celtics pessimist or a disguised Sixers fan.

If I had to redraft the 2016 draft right now, I'd take Brown over Simmons for the Celtics due to the fact that we already have our playmaker. I'd take Simmons over Brown for the Sixers. They're both playing exceptional basketball and the decision is certainly not "clear." I believe that Brown has a  higher ceiling than Simmons. He's the kind of talent that can become your Jimmy Butler, LeBron James, Kahwi Leonard, type unstoppable 2 way wings which are super valuable in the NBA. Simmons will make his teammates much better like a good point guard should, but I think that defenses will learn to control his scoring very, very soon. He should not be averaging 18.5 ppg, and you'll continue to see well coached teams (like Boston) limit him to about 10 ppg.
No.  I just don't wear green colored goggles.  I base my evaluations of draft prospects on their college play.  Whether someone gets drafted by us, doesn't change my evaluation of that prospect.  I was consistent on my evaluation of Fultz before and after the trade unlike some on here.  What changes my assessment is their actual performance in the NBA. 

As for a re-draft, you don't base it on your team's makeup.  Giannis is at the top of a 2013 re-draft regardless of whether you have Lebron or Durant or some bum at SF.  The 2013 draft also illustrates very clearly the need to wait for a few years to allow players to develop (or not) before doing a re-draft.  However if you were to do one today 29 out of 30 GMs would choose Simmons and Danny might too if it was anonymous.   
Ainge would pick Brown because it couldn't be anonymous unless someone else picked Brown. Now if you got an honest answer from him, I think he takes Simmons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Let me get this straight... you're using the 2013 draft to prove a point about redrafting for positional need??? Obviously you take Giannis....

My point is if you look back at a draft with 2 equally talented players at the current moment, you'd draft for team need. I don't currently see any large discrepancies between brown and Simmons and Simmons is redundant for our team. One will end up better than the other most likely but as for right now I'd take brown for the Celtics. Ask me again in 5 years and I might have another answer.

You're right that most GMs would choose Simmons now as he's the flashier household name. He can sell tickets (that actually matters). Remember people were high on Rondo in redrafts as well even though he washed out early. I personally think Brown will end up the better player. This Simmons show you're seeing now is lack of NBA preparation for a player of his style. His weaknesses are large (can't shoot, low ft % for a basket driver). Brown is a complete player with balanced skill. I just don't think there is room anymore in the NBA for a non shooter. Players like Rondo are so easily exploited by modern NBA coaching and analysis.

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:18 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I stand.  I'm happy with the hand dealt me.

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown > Simmons

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
I guess we're going to get a definitive answer now.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2018, 10:21:02 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Brown > Simmons

Too bad Brown isn't a rookie or else he'd win ROTY.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum > Simmons also

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 12:18:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just going by this year year's playoffs:

Embiid>Horford
Reddick=Rozier
Simmons=Smart
The rest of the Philly bench <Jaylen Brown all by himself
No one <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<><<<<The rest of the Philly bench

Next year

Hayward and Kyrie and anyone Boston adds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anyone else Philly will add.

I like our future more

Hinkie can Process That.

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Future Jaylen=Paul George
Future Tatum=Paul Pierce
Future Rozier=Kemba

Future Simmons=Magic
Future Embiid=Hakeem

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2018, 01:01:21 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Future Jaylen=Paul George
Future Tatum=Paul Pierce
Future Rozier=Kemba

Future Simmons=Magic
Future Embiid=Hakeem

Lol

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2018, 03:06:40 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Future Jaylen=Paul George Dominique Wilkins
Future Tatum=Paul Pierce Geroge Gervin
Future Rozier=Kemba Steve Francis

Future Simmons=Magic D-league
Future Embiid=Hakeem Michael Olowokandi

Fixed.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I do like it when people post weird stuff in November and it comes true later.

I'd take the guy being coached by Stevens.

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2018, 03:27:37 AM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065

TP I voted for Brown due to the potential of being butler or Kahwi.