Who do you take

Simmons
44 (62.9%)
Brown
26 (37.1%)
Other - explain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown  (Read 10437 times)

Re: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 11:20:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love Brown, but can we stop tarnishing his efforts with this absurdity?

I don't get it. How does this tarnish anything about Jaylen? At times, he has looked like a much more explosive player with a better shot, better D, AND he hasn't missed a year due to injury. Please explain...

Because it's a completely false narrative that does nothing but create divisiveness on a player we all should like and enjoy having.

Ben Simmons is currently leagues better than Brown, there's just not much to debate at this point in time.

I can stomach an Ingram vs. Brown debate, which is more realistic, but the rest is nonsense with what we have on hand right now.

Even if that is your opinion, it is hyperbole. He is not leagues better. This is the false narrative.

They both play in the same league (NBA). One has played less than 10 games, and has a problem shooting. One has hit zero 3pters in a league that favors 3pt shooting.

The other has improved his shooting, and maybe one of the most explosive players in the NBA.

It is definitely reasonable to think that Simmons is better (I voted for Simmons), but he is not way better. I'm not sure how you can defend this opinion.

Performance this season so far, with only 8 games into his career as it is, tells me Ben Simmons is playing quite better than Brown with a full season under his belt.

Whatever.

He is stat stuffing but short in the win department so far...

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Btw when times get tough... The only thing he can do is drive left to the basket....its predictable

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Simmons has very unusal skills.   Poorer shooting , but i watched a ton of Lakers during Magic days . He has simular court awareness and vision.  He needs scorers to pass to.

Jalen is gonna be one of those scorers , he is still raw , but the polish is coming .

Simmons has great court IQ . 

Mental tuffness , i see no rookies with the personal mental tuffness of Brown .   He is locked in on everything in his life and his confidence is amazing. Can't teach this asset . I think its the gene that MJ and Kobe had not to fail .

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 11:56:07 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

I don't get it. How does this tarnish anything about Jaylen? At times, he has looked like a much more explosive player with a better shot, better D, AND he hasn't missed a year due to injury. Please explain...

Because it's a completely false narrative that does nothing but create divisiveness on a player we all should like and enjoy having.

Ben Simmons is currently leagues better than Brown, there's just not much to debate at this point in time.

I can stomach an Ingram vs. Brown debate, which is more realistic, but the rest is nonsense with what we have on hand right now.

Even if that is your opinion, it is hyperbole. He is not leagues better. This is the false narrative.

They both play in the same league (NBA). One has played less than 10 games, and has a problem shooting. One has hit zero 3pters in a league that favors 3pt shooting.

The other has improved his shooting, and maybe one of the most explosive players in the NBA.

It is definitely reasonable to think that Simmons is better (I voted for Simmons), but he is not way better. I'm not sure how you can defend this opinion.

Performance this season so far, with only 8 games into his career as it is, tells me Ben Simmons is playing quite better than Brown with a full season under his belt.

Whatever.

He is stat stuffing but short in the win department so far...

I agree. If you switch Jaylen with Simmons, I am confident Jaylens stats as a Sixer would look more impressive than Simmons stats right now

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Whatever.

Sounds like you are trying to tarnish JB's brand.

Philly and Boston are in completely different situations. Simmons has been given the keys to the car ala Lebron, Harden, Westbrook, etc. Kyrie runs the show in Boston. If Jaylen was facilitating the whole offense, I would expect bigger stats. They have different roles.

Jaylen can't facilitate the whole offense because right off the bat he has plenty of ball handling issues.

But what a surprise, a self fulfilling prophecy... now I'm being accused of tarnishing JB's brand. Now I'm the anti-Brown.

I've seen this story played out plenty of times before with the likes of Rondo, Powe, Perkins, etc... to last me a lifetime.

Make of it whatever you want.

If Ben Simmons wasn't playing well, that would be one thing to bring this up.  But he's playing extremely well with just 8 games behind him which more than justifies to this point the 1st pick he got with the potential behind it that warranted said pick.

This discussion seems awfully premature at best.

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Yeah, as much as I love Brown, it's definitely Simmons. But Brown is certainly number 2 in that draft, and he's closed the gap considerably on Simmons.

The more interesting question is Simmons versus Tatum. I think you have to take Tatum due to his much better shooting and two-way potential.

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yeah, as much as I love Brown, it's definitely Simmons. But Brown is certainly number 2 in that draft, and he's closed the gap considerably on Simmons.

The more interesting question is Simmons versus Tatum. I think you have to take Tatum due to his much better shooting and two-way potential.

Then what you are saying is Tatum > Brown

Dont think every here agrees

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932

Right now? Brown is probably better, but he's also older with more experience.

Long-term? That's easily going to be Tatum. His much more refined skill set and better size/length will serve him better in the long run.

I think both will be multiple-time All-Stars. But where I think Brown ends up on the level of someone like Lowry or Derozan, I think Tatum will reach perennial All-Star status and hit a level around Pierce.

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:30 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Whatever.

Sounds like you are trying to tarnish JB's brand.

Philly and Boston are in completely different situations. Simmons has been given the keys to the car ala Lebron, Harden, Westbrook, etc. Kyrie runs the show in Boston. If Jaylen was facilitating the whole offense, I would expect bigger stats. They have different roles.

Jaylen can't facilitate the whole offense because right off the bat he has plenty of ball handling issues.

But what a surprise, a self fulfilling prophecy... now I'm being accused of tarnishing JB's brand. Now I'm the anti-Brown.

I've seen this story played out plenty of times before with the likes of Rondo, Powe, Perkins, etc... to last me a lifetime.

Make of it whatever you want.

If Ben Simmons wasn't playing well, that would be one thing to bring this up.  But he's playing extremely well with just 8 games behind him which more than justifies to this point the 1st pick he got with the potential behind it that warranted said pick.

This discussion seems awfully premature at best.

I agree that Simmons will be a better player. I agree that it is premature to make a judgment. I don't agree that Simmons is leagues above Jaylen. I think Jaylen has all star potential. It's hard for a player's potential to be leagues above an all star, unless you think Simmons is MJ or Lebron. I think it's premature to put him in that category.

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 12:44:50 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Ben Simmons looks like a great regular season player, that will put up nice stats on bad teams. His poor shooting mechanics may be difficult to correct at this point. For a player who handles the ball so much, he also needs to improve his free throw shooting too.

Brown seems more like a player that teams would want during the playoffs, since he shows the desire to defend and can hit the open 3. His ability to take it to the rim is also improving.

The thing going for Simmons right now, is that he still has that mystery of being a consensus number 1 overall pick, especially since he missed all of last season. With Brown, we have a year already of seeing him play as a rookie and are more aware of is flaws. We are just starting to see Simmons play now and becoming aware of his flaws. They also have very different roles on their respective teams. Philly gave Simmons the keys and wants him to be their star player. Brown is being asked to play a role on a potential Eastern conference championship caliber team. If Brown was on a bad team like Philadelphia, then I'm sure he would be putting up really good numbers too. I see Brown as being a better scorer and defender, while Simmons is easily the better dribbler, passer, and rebounder.

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 12:51:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't think people on here have seen Simmons play defense. Don't blame you though because he doesn't play defense

And his shot is horrible. He's a Lamar odom with slightly better passing but worse jump shot and defense. He's a bigger version of rondo with a worse jumpshot

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

Right now? Brown is probably better, but he's also older with more experience.

Long-term? That's easily going to be Tatum. His much more refined skill set and better size/length will serve him better in the long run.

I think both will be multiple-time All-Stars. But where I think Brown ends up on the level of someone like Lowry or Derozan, I think Tatum will reach perennial All-Star status and hit a level around Pierce.

Actually Ben Simmons is older than Brown-Simmons was 21 in july.
Simmons does not fight over screens plays back and therefore a better rebounder.Jaylen has a years experience ,th eback to backs the three games in four nights and experience all the way to East Coast Finals--not bad at 20yrs old

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 01:27:57 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
Right now Simmons is better, but that's not any kind of knock onJaylen. Simmons has some of the best vision in the world and great touch. On the other end,  Jaylen is a far better shooter and vastly superior defender with all defense potential.
Who knows where Jaylen could end up in a couple years.

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 01:29:47 PM »

Offline unclebay

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
I don't think people on here have seen Simmons play defense. Don't blame you though because he doesn't play defense

And his shot is horrible. He's a Lamar odom with slightly better passing but worse jump shot and defense. He's a bigger version of rondo with a worse jumpshot
The bashing of Simmons here is absurd. He's a pretty remarkable talent and is already far better than Odom.

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
all i know is that RIGHT NOW Brown would be better on a contending team

he can play D hit the 3 and drive

simmons might be "better" especially in the long run, but who do you think the warriors or rockets or cavs would want for this season?
I trust Danny Ainge