Who do you take

Simmons
44 (62.9%)
Brown
26 (37.1%)
Other - explain
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown  (Read 10434 times)

Re: Ben Simmons vs Jaylen Brown
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Simmons reminds me a lot of Magic when he first came into the league.  the kid could be very special. 

Brown is looking like a clear #2 from that draft at this point which doesn't suck.  He's made strides in his game that I would have to think have surpassed any reasonable expectations of improvement from last year.

Too much credit already....Magic was special. He was also a great teammate....we dont know that about Simmons yet

Simmons is closer to Lamar Odom but already with more consistency at the same age

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would take Simmons under the assumption that his shot improves. However, if I knew it wouldn't, and he's stuck being this perimeter liability, then I would take Brown. That said, there's no debating that the gap between the two has diminished considerably since they were drafted.

Good topic, Triboy! TP!

Agree

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Mod thanks for adding a poll

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Simmons reminds me a lot of Magic when he first came into the league.  the kid could be very special. 

Brown is looking like a clear #2 from that draft at this point which doesn't suck.  He's made strides in his game that I would have to think have surpassed any reasonable expectations of improvement from last year.
Yeah, I was gonna say too, but if he doesn't develop that shot his upside is a taller Rajon Rondo.

People say this like an insult, but peak Rondo was a legit all-NBA player at 6’1 before his injury.  I love Jaylen, but I’d take a 6’11 Rondo over him if starting a team, and not think twice.

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The thing with Simmons though as dynamic as he is he needs shooters around him, and maybe more specifically a shooting big like Embiid. 

Brown seems like he would fit in with just about any team.

Anyone know how Simmons D is looking so far?

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 10:15:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The thing with Simmons though as dynamic as he is he needs shooters around him, and maybe more specifically a shooting big like Embiid. 

Brown seems like he would fit in with just about any team.

Anyone know how Simmons D is looking so far?

The only thing he is dependable on is rebounding.... He gives up in pnr/doesnt fight through.... Switch D is mainly backing off guys.... Not noticeable in block shot, steals department

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yeah, I was gonna say too, but if he doesn't develop that shot his upside is a taller Rajon Rondo.
what shot did Magic Johnson develop?  I mean seriously, Magic's last 4 seasons (including 96) he shot above 30%, but that is it and in 2 of those years he was no better than 32%.  And before those last 4 years, his career best was 23.3%.  I get that it was a different era, but Magic was never a great shooter. 

If Simmons never develops a 3 point shot, I don't think it is all that big a deal.  He does however need to shoot a lot better from the line.

Just because Magic wasn't a prolific 3pt shooter doesn't mean that his perimeter shot didn't improve to the point of respectability.

This during the flow of a Finals game. There is no way at all Simmons would take those stop and pops today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cezYRbu3Jj4

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Picture this game winding down Simmons is dribbling down clock with lead  and attempt to go left and into paint but is beaten to spot and turned by an excellent defender.Simmons unloads the ball to a well guarded teammate that has to throw an off balance air ball and the 24 second clock expires.The opposing team has time for one shot and hits a corner three with time running out.This is the type of thing that makes a difference in 7 game playoff series That doesn't even take into account poor foul shooting. or average to poor defense.
I think Jaylen has a higher ceiling with his athleticism,defense and outside shooting
Both will be special 
That example happened last week for real
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:56:02 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I love Brown, but can we stop tarnishing his efforts with this absurdity?

I don't get it. How does this tarnish anything about Jaylen? At times, he has looked like a much more explosive player with a better shot, better D, AND he hasn't missed a year due to injury. Please explain...

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Too much credit already....Magic was special. He was also a great teammate....we dont know that about Simmons yet

Simmons is closer to Lamar Odom but already with more consistency at the same age
too much credit for what?  saying he reminds me of Magic?  big difference from saying he IS Magic. 

Magic was special because we hadn't seen anyone like him before (or at least I hadn't).  Simmons has the size and court-awareness similar to Magic.  he isn't the same level of passer but very few ever have been.  If Simmons turns out to be 75% as good as Magic with a similar shooting ability (which wasn't great but improved during his career), Sixers will have themselves a terrific player.

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't get it. How does this tarnish anything about Jaylen? At times, he has looked like a much more explosive player with a better shot, better D, AND he hasn't missed a year due to injury. Please explain...

Because it's a completely false narrative that does nothing but create divisiveness on a player we all should like and enjoy having.

Ben Simmons is currently leagues better than Brown, there's just not much to debate at this point in time.

I can stomach an Ingram vs. Brown debate, which is more realistic, but the rest is nonsense with what we have on hand right now.

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:52 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Because it's a completely false narrative that does nothing but create divisiveness on a player we all should like and enjoy having.

Ben Simmons is currently leagues better than Brown, there's just not much to debate at this point in time.

I can stomach an Ingram vs. Brown debate, which is more realistic, but the rest is nonsense with what we have on hand right now.

Even if that is your opinion, it is hyperbole. He is not leagues better. This is the false narrative.

They both play in the same league (NBA). One has played less than 10 games, and has a problem shooting. One has hit zero 3pters in a league that favors 3pt shooting.

The other has improved his shooting, and maybe one of the most explosive players in the NBA.

It is definitely reasonable to think that Simmons is better (I voted for Simmons), but he is not way better. I'm not sure how you can defend this opinion.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:55:38 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 10:51:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think Simmons is much better than we thought.
I was very skeptical of his shooting, still am, thinking that you can't be a superstar in the league without a jump shot (boy was I wrong, I saw Giannis again and...), after seeing BS pierce the defense with all; speed, skill, and strength, I think he can.

I changed my mind and would put my money on Simmons now.

I love Jaylen, in many aspects, but he rarely lands properly after leaving his feet vertically (a bit frustrating, and it can lead to injuries longterm) and he doesn't have a natural finishing touch and vision. It will have to be taught. It is not "inborn" like it is with some top-shelf talents (Kyrie for example).
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Even if that is your opinion, it is hyperbole. He is not leagues better. This is the false narrative.

They both play in the same league (NBA). One has played less than 10 games, and has a problem shooting. One has hit zero 3pters in a league that favors 3pt shooting.

The other has improved his shooting, and maybe one of the most explosive players in the NBA.

It is definitely reasonable to think that Simmons is better (I voted for Simmons), but he is not way better. I'm not sure how you can defend this opinion.

Performance this season so far, with only 8 games into his career as it is, tells me Ben Simmons is playing quite better than Brown with a full season under his belt.

Whatever.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

Performance this season so far, with only 8 games into his career as it is, tells me Ben Simmons is playing quite better than Brown with a full season under his belt.

Whatever.

Sounds like you are trying to tarnish JB's brand.

Philly and Boston are in completely different situations. Simmons has been given the keys to the car ala Lebron, Harden, Westbrook, etc. Kyrie runs the show in Boston. If Jaylen was facilitating the whole offense, I would expect bigger stats. They have different roles.