Author Topic: Curry asked for no-trade clause and 5th year player option - Warriors said No  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I had been him I'd have strongly considered walking at that point

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Wasn't there a report that Lacob considered presenting him with a less-than-max offer too?

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Eh, was he really going to leave $70M on the table over a no-trade clause? I get that Curry is one of the NBA's premier superstars, but the new salaries for players is so astronomical that organizations should be able to retain some sort of control.

And if Curry gets traded somewhere he doesn't want to go, he can just pi$$ and moan until they buy him out.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Lol, no you wouldn't.

A pay cut without increasing your ability to win a championship over what? your pride?

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I wonder if Curry could have bluffed his way to get what he wanted.

The Warriors originally balked at giving Iguodala the contract he was looking for, until he met with Houston and San Antonio, then they quickly changed their tune.

Obviously that's a little easier for the non-max contract guys to find other teams willing to give them a deal.  Not many teams could realistically fit Curry though, even less that could be contenders.

But what if he told his agent to get a meeting with Miami or Boston, have to think the Warriors would have caved pretty quickly.

That would have been a fun few hours around here if Curry suddenly met with Boston this summer.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
No reason to give him that in addition to the super max. The supermax contract is dumb enough.

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Agents should smarten up and request no trade clauses more often. The players have worked hard to be in a position where they have a lot of power now but hardly anyone has a no trade clause.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I mean, why wouldn’t he ask?  There’s no reason not to ask for the most when in a contract negotiation.  Ultimately I don’t think his contract will be tradable in two years anyway, as it’s increasing faster than the cap, so who really cares about a no-trade clause anyway?

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Agents should smarten up and request no trade clauses more often. The players have worked hard to be in a position where they have a lot of power now but hardly anyone has a no trade clause.

No trade clauses are very difficult to qualify for in the NBA.  You have to have been in the NBA for 8 years and been with the team you’re signing a contract with for four years.  Of all the players that were traded this summer, I’m not sure any were eligible for a no-trade clause when they signed their contract they were traded during except Melo, and he waived his for the trade.

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I mean, why wouldn’t he ask?  There’s no reason not to ask for the most when in a contract negotiation.  Ultimately I don’t think his contract will be tradable in two years anyway, as it’s increasing faster than the cap, so who really cares about a no-trade clause anyway?

Exactly. You ask knowing the answer is most likely no chance in hell but is now something they have to work against to remove. You have to ask for the moon and work down to reality instead of starting with reality and taking a discount.

Some of us actually enjoy a good negotiation, it's like a game of chess. Trying to get the best deal possible.
ok fine

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Then let's go after Steph Curry.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Then let's go after Steph Curry.

Nope we already have our bedrock foundation for our future in Kyrie - and he's 4 years younger I believe.

Steph turns 30 in 5 months. Still a GREAT player but I'll keep Kyrie.