Poll

Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?

Yes
3 (3.6%)
No
78 (94%)
Maybe So
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author Topic: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?  (Read 15511 times)

Re: Al Horford: Is now a good time to sell high?
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Don't want us to trade Horford and I don't believe we will trade him.

Having said that, I will play along cause trade scenarios are fun! :D

Horford for Boogie + Ajinca or Asik at the deadline
(assuming Boogie says publicly that he plans to leave next summer and the Pels don't wanna lose him for nothing)

Who says no? Could the Pels find a better offer elsewhere (for what may prove to be a few months rental of Boogie)?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:15:32 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I am glad that Al is on our side.  He is a winner.

Really?  What has he ever won outside of college?

Please, I'm all ears.  Love it when people go throwing the "winner" label on to guys who have consistently failed to win anything in their entire professional careers.

He's an excellent player, but please let's take it easy with that "winner" label.

Steph Curry is a winner.  LeBron James is a winner.  Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan were winners.  All Horford is not a winner, he's just a really good player. E

very NBA team he's ever been on (aside from last year's Celtics, who were carried by IT) has performed well in the regular season and fallen apart at the seams as soon as they hit the big stage.  Hell even last years team (probably his most successful playoff run ever) was a struggle.

Steph Curry and LeBron weren't winners, until they won.  How did they manage to win if they weren't winners? 

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Please, I'm all ears.  Love it when people go throwing the "winner" label on to guys who have consistently failed to win anything in their entire professional careers.

He's an excellent player, but please let's take it easy with that "winner" label.

Steph Curry is a winner.  LeBron James is a winner.  Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan were winners.  All Horford is not a winner, he's just a really good player.

I mean I agree somewhat, but most guys simply don't get back an opportunity to win in the highest level. Durant wasn't a winner before he joined the greatest regular season team ever. Was he not a winner before that?

See what I'm saying. It's a slippery slope. Horford is easily the Starting center on the right team. If you traded Draymond for Horford he's be a winner.

There a reason I didn't list KD in that group ;}

I consider a winner to be a guy like Kobe, LeBron, Duncan and Jordan. Ewing.  Malone and Stockton.   KG, Pierce  Guys who have carried their teams to championships - or at the very least carried their teams to multiple conference finals.

To be fair even KD is borderline, as the thunder were making the Conference finals almost annually when he was in OKC.

Prior to last year in believe horford has made the ECF one time he's entire career.  He made it last year only after the team was bailed out by huge play from guys like AB, IT and Olynyk.  Horford was quietly solid throb the entire playoffs, but without those guys having their monster performances (and a timely rondo injury) Boston wouldn't have made it past the bulls.

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Steph Curry is a winner.  LeBron James is a winner.  Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan were winners.  All Horford is not a winner, he's just a really good player. E

very NBA team he's ever been on (aside from last year's Celtics, who were carried by IT) has performed well in the regular season and fallen apart at the seams as soon as they hit the big stage.  Hell even last years team (probably his most successful playoff run ever) was a struggle.

Steph Curry and LeBron weren't winners, until they won.  How did they manage to win if they weren't winners?

LeBron has made what - 6 straight NBA finals?

Didn't he take the cavs to the NBA finals against the Spurs in his first or second season?

Curry was the core ingredient that turned a young warriors team from non-existent to Dynasty almost overnight with his MVP turnaround.

Dwyane Wade was the best player on a Championship team in like his second season in the league.

I mean sorry if I'm off base here, but I kinda assumed one key prerequisite for being labeled a winner is.. I don't know... Winning?

This is not a diss on horford - I'm not saying he sucks because he hasn't won a lot.  Not everybody has the combination of talent and killer mentality to be that type of player, and that doesn't take away from the fact that he's been an excellent player his entire career...

I just constantly hear people throwing that "winner" label on to guys who have done nothing to earn it (not just Horford, he does geg it a lot) and that annoys me.

Horford isn't a winner.  He simply isn't the type of player who wins you championships - he's the guy who comes in and does the little things to help your main guys win you a championship.  He's Robin to your Batman.  He doesn't take down the enemy - he'll just bring batman his little toolkit so he can deliver the winning punch.  He's one of Santa's little helpers.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:25:12 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
 Can we just enjoy the new team we barely have for awhile, thanks

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2017, 06:17:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Steph Curry is a winner.  LeBron James is a winner.  Michael Jordan and Tim Duncan were winners.  All Horford is not a winner, he's just a really good player.

I mean I agree somewhat, but most guys simply don't get back an opportunity to win in the highest level. Durant wasn't a winner before he joined the greatest regular season team ever. Was he not a winner before that?

See what I'm saying. It's a slippery slope. Horford is easily the Starting center on the right team. If you traded Draymond for Horford he's be a winner.

I consider a winner to be a guy like Kobe, LeBron, Duncan and Jordan. Ewing.  Malone and Stockton.   KG, Pierce  Guys who have carried their teams to championships - or at the very least carried their teams to multiple conference finals.

To be fair even KD is borderline, as the thunder were making the Conference finals almost annually when he was in OKC.

Prior to last year in believe horford has made the ECF one time he's entire career.  He made it last year only after the team was bailed out by huge play from guys like AB, IT and Olynyk.  Horford was quietly solid throb the entire playoffs, but without those guys having their monster performances (and a timely rondo injury) Boston wouldn't have made it past the bulls.
Al Horford has made the playoffs every single year in his career.

He is absolutely a winner.

He isnt a superstar, but hes a winner. There is zero question of that.

But youve hated Big Al from the jump, so Im not surprised that you dont think hes a winner.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

But youve hated Big Al from the jump, so Im not surprised that you dont think hes a winner.

I think he personally missed the postseason a couple of times due to weird pec injuries.

But his Hawks played our title team to a near draw in 2008. We might all like to forget that...

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 06:27:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Making the playoffs doesn't make you a winner.

16 teams of 12 guys make the playoffs each year.  There aren't 184 winners in the NBA every season. Making the playoffs only to get knocked off early every single year does not equate to being a winner.

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Also I've never hated on Horford, I've actually liked him since his early days and anyways thought he was a nice player.  I'm simply realistic about what he is, which is exactly that - a nice player.  Not a superstar, not a winner, not a game changer - but a nice player.

As I've always said, he's a very nice third or 4th banana. Any team who has Horford as anything more than your 3rd st player has zero hope of winning a title.  Zero.  He's not that guy. 

But as a #3 or #4 guy is hard to imagine many players better for that role because he's unselfish, he's highly versatile, and he has an impressive ability to impact games without needing the ball in his hand.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 06:39:07 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2017, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Kevin Garnett is the perfect example. That dude was a winner his whole career, if you replace Garnett with Duncan it's KG that wins 4 or 5 rings. While Duncan would have won nothing in Minnesota.

You see how dumb this argument can be. Circumstance is 75% of being labeld a winner.

Crimson, I was waiting for a rebuttal of this point.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:12:46 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2017, 06:40:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Disagree with the premise that the only way you can be a winner is to win a championship. Was Big Baby a winner? Is Tony Allen? Was Gary Payton only a winner because he came off the bench with Miami?

Consistently winning in the regular season and playoffs after winning a national championship in college and leading all those teams, is being a winner in my mind.

I just don't subscribe to the definition of a winner only being a champion.

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2017, 06:48:43 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
My first reaction to seeing the thread title was "I swear to god if this is KGLL again.."
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Why is everyone so desperate to kill our chemistry?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2017, 06:51:58 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
What a great way to burn bridges for future free agents. ::)

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:00 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Also I've never hated on Horford, I've actually liked him since his early days and anyways thought he was a nice player.  I'm simply realistic about what he is, which is exactly that - a nice player.  Not a superstar, not a winner, not a game changer - but a nice player.

As I've always said, he's a very nice third or 4th banana. Any team who has Horford as anything more than your 3rd st player has zero hope of winning a title.  Zero.  He's not that guy. 

But as a #3 or #4 guy is hard to imagine many players better for that role because he's unselfish, he's highly versatile, and he has an impressive ability to impact games without needing the ball in his hand.

Well it's a good thing we have Hayward, Tatum, Irving, and Brown who have shown they aren't afraid to take shots....
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different