Author Topic: Spurs (4-2) at Celtics (4-2) Game #7 10/30/17  (Read 41359 times)

Re: Spurs (4-2) at Celtics (4-2) Game #7 10/30/17
« Reply #450 on: October 30, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
The defense in the 4th for last few games has been lights out.
I honestly thought, even with Hayward, this would be a middling defensive team.

« Reply #451 on: October 30, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Fun game. First lopsided win over the Spurs in 20 years.

Tatum, Brown, Smart, Irving, Horford, Baynes... hell... even Rozier and Ojelei looked good.
It's gonna be a fun season...

Can you imagine what our team would look like with Hayward?

wait you forgot THEIS THEIS BABY? COME ON MAN! he can rebound and block shots and score some too! best 3rd string big ever!

OH shi-- My bad.

THEISMAN was COLD-blooded-KILLER out there. Love having active rebounders and grit guys on the team.

him and baynes have been such a relief protecting rim and grabbing boards and playing solid defense. such an upgrade over man bun and amir.
I think this has been a key to the winning streak -- solid rebounding throughout the game and especially in the fourth quarter.  for years we've been getting killed on the boards by the other teams -- so many second chance points given up that are no longer occurring

« Reply #452 on: October 30, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Pop just called the C's "wonderful"

« Reply #453 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:57 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
I am not crazy about Irving's mediocre effort on defense - he allows penetration, leaves his man free on the perimeter and definitely does not hustle back in transition.

Is Stevens tough enough to make Irving play harder on defense ?

Is this a joke? I'm curious what game(s) have YOU been watching? Kyrie's D has been stellar all season so far to say the least! I'll never understand why people comment and say things that have absolutely zero merit smh...

Not a joke. I am basing this concern on specific plays where he surrendered the drive WAY too easily and where he completely left and ignored his man standing on the perimeter, which resulted directly in his man hitting a 3-pointer and I have seen several incidents of him  stopping short of the half-court line with the other team in offensive transition.

Do you not understand the fundamental concepts of defense ....... stop the ball, help side and rotate back to your man as the ball is moved and of course, hustle back on defense.

BTW..........I have been a Celtic fan since the mid 60's. I am no troll.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #454 on: October 30, 2017, 10:16:04 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel

Pop is wonderful.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #455 on: October 30, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson

Pop is wonderful.
He really is. One of the best.

« Reply #456 on: October 30, 2017, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I am not crazy about Irving's mediocre effort on defense - he allows penetration, leaves his man free on the perimeter and definitely does not hustle back in transition.

Is this a joke? I'm curious what game(s) have YOU been watching? Kyrie's D has been stellar all season so far to say the least! I'll never understand why people comment and say things that have absolutely zero merit smh...

Not a joke. I am basing this concern on specific plays where he surrendered the drive WAY too easily and where he completely left and ignored his man standing on the perimeter, which resulted directly in his man hitting a 3-pointer and I have seen several incidents of him  stopping short of the half-court line with the other team in offensive transition.

Do you not understand the fundamental concepts of defense ....... stop the ball, help side and rotate back to your man as the ball is moved and of course, hustle back on defense.

My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #457 on: October 30, 2017, 10:20:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

There's anecdotal for anything if you look hard enough. No doubt you could pull a few plays and note some of his bad habits, which are still there. However, he has been a good defender so far this year (not just ok). The stats back that up. Sub-100 defensive rating. Positive dpm. Top 5 league leader in steals. Makes key defensive plays. Draws charges. Blocks.

Its all there. I'm sure CBS is still coaching him up in some ways, but the defense from Irving has been more than anyone could hope for.

« Reply #458 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I was hoping to see Pops head-locking Baynes like he did to Simmons. But oh well. All is good ;D

« Reply #459 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Tatum had his worst game of the season, and the team still won by double digits. That's the biggest takeaway for me.

he didn't take many shots all game. that second unit lineup with him, rozier, marcus I feel the offense should run through Tatum...instead you have rozier playing hero ball...granted he ended up having a solid game

« Reply #460 on: October 30, 2017, 10:26:06 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
This board has gotten meaner. God forbid I should express some criticism, which btw, was based on direct observation from different games.

Maybe you guys don't understand what is important in defensive basketball. The casual gavone thinks if a guy blocks a shot and gets a couple of steals that he is playing good defense. Blocks and steals are small parts of great team defense. Russell was great because he and his teammates knew how to rotate as a unit, he understood positioning and when he did block a shot, he kept the ball in play - much better than sticking it in the first row.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #461 on: October 30, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
We understand, and Kyrie was still good this game.  Is he the best on the floor?  No, but he was good and then on the other end he is one of the best offensive players in the league.  He is doing his part.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #462 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
This board has gotten meaner. God forbid I should express some criticism, which btw, was based on direct observation from different games.

Maybe you guys don't understand what is important in defensive basketball. The casual gavone thinks if a guy blocks a shot and gets a couple of steals that he is playing good defense. Blocks and steals are small parts of great team defense. Russell was great because he and his teammates knew how to rotate as a unit, he understood positioning and when he did block a shot, he kept the ball in play - much better than sticking it in the first row.

Irving will never be a great defender. And yet the Cs have like the 2nd best defensive rating in the NBA right now.

« Reply #463 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tatum had his worst game of the season, and the team still won by double digits. That's the biggest takeaway for me.
Worst scoring and shooting night but he was excellent on the boards and defensively.

« Reply #464 on: October 30, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

He's not as bad as you make it out to be. You also brought it out at the wrong place and the wrong time. There's about  3-4 "Kyrie Irving sucks" or "I wish we had IT" thread out there to post those kinds, not in the game thread when we had the win in the bag and he was already on the bench in a game he played well defensively.