Author Topic: Kyrie's defense (merged threads)  (Read 9040 times)

Kyrie's defense (merged threads)
« on: October 29, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense/?sort=DEF_WS&dir=-1

https://stats.nba.com/players/hustle/?sort=DEFLECTIONS&dir=1

Obviously it's a very small sample size (only like 6-8 games into the season), but so far the signs look encouraging from Kyrie.

He's not known for being an elite 1-on-1 defender, but like Steph Curry, he's starting to become a lot more disruptive on defense, and he's also putting a lot of effort on the defensive end (which I NEVER saw him do with Cleveland to be honest).

For example, here's where Kyrie ranks in these two metrics:

DEFLECTIONS: #6 with about 3.7 deflections/game (Thaddeus Young, Paul George, Oubre Jr., CP3 and Jimmy Buckets higher)

LOOSE BALLS RECOVERED: Tied for 7th with 1.5 a game. (Guys higher or tied with Kyrie include the likes of the Greek Freak, CP3, Butler, Lilliard, etc.)

And even in yesterday's game, Kyrie had a ton of deflections and actually looked really good on defense (not perfect and still made few mistakes, but disruptive and didn't make it that easy on anyone), and I think @jpotter33 even mentioned yesterday that Kyrie led the game with the most deflections.

He's also 15th in defensive win-shares according to the site posted above.

Obviously a long way to go this season, but so far it's encouraging to see Kyrie not looking like a pure liability on the defensive end, and actually trying on the defensive end as well as trying to make his teammates better (team defense, ball movement). Also, CBS doesn't have to "hide him" much on defense like he had to with Isaiah (b/c of Irving's size).

Once Kyrie starts to score at better ease and with better %'s... watch out!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:30:02 PM by nickagneta »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Some Of These Stats Show Kyrie Playing Like A Top-20 Defender
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

Offline DooVoo

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 32
He is just in a better system with much better coaching. He is never going to be a great defender but he always had the talent to be a good one if motivated and in a better scheme.

The Celtics are much better overall defensively cause they aren't having to scheme to hide a 5'9" guy on defense or rely on a 6'2" 180lb guy guarding wings.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:38:20 PM by DooVoo »

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I think you nailed it when you said you never saw him play defense like this in CLE.  The biggest change appears to be effort.  I wonder if Kyrie and Al can keep this up all season.

You have to respect the hell out of Kyrie.  He's stepped up in the areas that he knew was his weakness. 

He left the Cavs on his own accord because he wanted to challenge himself and grow. That is such an underrated mentality to have. He appears to be following through on that.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He did play quality defense in Cleveland in the Playoffs.  He looks even better here, but I am not surprised like a lot of people seem to be.  His defense and size are improvements on IT and why I was so in favor of the trade.  He can hold his own and not be a constant area for the other team to attack.  We can have a top level defense with him.

And I do not think he is as top 20 defender at all but he is not a weak spot that you can't deal with and has quick hands to get some steals in our defense.  He isn't undersized and he can often be the smallest guy on the floor, which speaks to the length and height of the team now which improves the defense.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:45:57 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 04:07:10 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He is just in a better system with much better coaching. He is never going to be a great defender but he always had the talent to be a good one if motivated and in a better scheme.

The Celtics are much better overall defensively cause they aren't having to scheme to hide a 5'9" guy on defense or rely on a 6'2" 180lb guy guarding wings.
The backcourt went from 5’9” / 6’2” to 6’2” / 6’7”. It is helping the defense.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
More like top 10.  I told you idiots to be patient..
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
He is very active and has good hands and has been much less of a liability than IT was.

BUT, this man dies on every screen. I dont think Ive ever seen anyone so bad at getting over screens. It is remarkable.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

TP to OP.  Size matters - defensively
Also lets mention JB and his 4 inches on AB.
It is a small sample size. Lets wait for 15/20 games to make some conclusions.
As for Kyries death on screens, there is some hope.
Switch heavy playoff basketball mitigates that weakness.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 07:39:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
He did play quality defense in Cleveland in the Playoffs.  He looks even better here, but I am not surprised like a lot of people seem to be.  His defense and size are improvements on IT and why I was so in favor of the trade.  He can hold his own and not be a constant area for the other team to attack.  We can have a top level defense with him.

And I do not think he is as top 20 defender at all but he is not a weak spot that you can't deal with and has quick hands to get some steals in our defense.  He isn't undersized and he can often be the smallest guy on the floor, which speaks to the length and height of the team now which improves the defense.

He's obviously not an overall Top-20 defender in the league, but that's why I said, "some stats" and "LIKE a Top-20 defender".

Agree with everything you say though.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

He's obviously not an overall Top-20 defender in the league, but that's why I said, "some stats" and "LIKE a Top-20 defender".

Agree with everything you say though.

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest that, we're on the same page.  The stats suggest his defense has been pretty solid to good and it has been.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
He is very active and has good hands and has been much less of a liability than IT was.

BUT, this man dies on every screen. I dont think Ive ever seen anyone so bad at getting over screens. It is remarkable.

How was Isaiah in that regard? Regarding the screens?

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

better.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

better.

Welp..

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:49:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He's definitely putting more effort into it this season, but he's not a good defender. He's doing some positive things though and with him on the court the C's are playing elite defense overall.

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
For me, the largest plus in his defense is he's able to be left one on one in most situations. He can hold his own and not be a continual target attacked because of his minuscule stature.

At 6-3 the game doesn't always flow over his head, out of reach.

This allows our team defense to not expend unnecessary energy switching to save him. 

Stats showing him as playing like a top-20 defender are icing on the cake.