Author Topic: Cavs lose 6 of their last 8 games  (Read 27908 times)

Re: Cavs lose 4 of their last 5 games
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I agree that they will be better in time and can look different when IT returns. That being said, their biggest issue is probably that they just don't have the players to be an even average defensive team. The Warriors could score 140-150 on them (probably the Rockets could also).

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
A record under .500, starting lineup changes almost every night... You have to wonder how long this goes on before they replace Lebron as head coach.

Well done.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2017, 01:09:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
This is a nice summary from the Ringer:

The roster is fundamentally flawed. Despite the additions of Crowder and Green, they still have too many weak spots on defense. Wade and Rose haven’t played consistently competitive defense for multiple seasons. Korver moves his legs as quickly as he can, but it’s all for naught (even rookie Frank Ntilikina drove by him with ease Sunday). Smith’s spunk wore off last season. Thompson looks complacent (on Sunday, he finished with zero boards in 19 minutes). LeBron hasn’t played regular-season defense in years, and it’s as if the rest of the roster follows his example.

Veterans Jose Calderon (36 years old) and Channing Frye (34) aren’t providing any answers, either. Neither are rookies Cedi Osman and Ante Zizic. The Little Guy, Isaiah Thomas, certainly won’t help their defensive issues, whenever he ends up returning to the floor. The bottom line is that Cleveland is old, and plays like it. Even if the Cavs begin giving effort, it’s hard to imagine that a backcourt featuring Wade, Rose, and Smith will be able to sustain that energy over a 48-minute game.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/30/16569932/nba-lebron-cavaliers-panic

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The biggest disappointment so far has Tristan Thompson. He has been bad so far.

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2017, 01:15:04 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The problem with this team is that they've got the cavalry coming in for offensive purposes in the form of IT (still, that's assuming he's healthy by midseason which is no gimme), but there is no chance they become a good defensive team this year. Outside of Lebron, who himself is prone to defensive lapses, who's a plus defender on that team besides maybe Shumpert?

This team will comfortably make the playoffs -- please remember that the East still stinks, by and large -- but yes, they're in trouble. The Celtics, Bucks, or Raptors could easily be the #1 seed this year.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2017, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Question:

Has any team with playoff aspirations ever opened up a season with a schedule THIS easy and done This badly?

Five of their first seven games have been against lottery bound teams, and they've gone 1-4 in those games - including 20 point blowouts in three of them.

That's bad...not just by Cavs standards, but by ANY standards.
2012 Celtics started 4-8

eventually forced James led heat to 7 games.

The lockout season plus Rose getting hurt in the first-round of playoffs, allowing the 76ers to upset the #1 seeded Bulls. Those were some factors that helped the Celtics down the postseason run.
what is the relevance of this?

That Sixers team was pretty decent and had one of the largest ever differences between team net rtg and w/l record. They played like a 43 win team (53 win pace) despite only winning 35 games (43 win pace). Then the MVP of the 1 seed gets hurt.

So if Lebron is out for the playoffs all bets are off, but he could miss major time and the Cavs would still be a top 8 ECF team. No doubt in my mind.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Every year for the last eight years we've asked at some point "what's wrong with this lebron team?" And every year they've reached the finals. This may very well be the year that ends but untill I see how this team looks with Thomas I refuse to declare them "dead" or even "in trouble." We shall see.

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2017, 07:05:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Every year for the last eight years we've asked at some point "what's wrong with this lebron team?" And every year they've reached the finals. This may very well be the year that ends but untill I see how this team looks with Thomas I refuse to declare them "dead" or even "in trouble." We shall see.

Maybe I am forgetting something, but after maybe the first 20 games I don't feel like people every thought Lebron's Miami teams were dead or had something seriously wrong with them.... they were a juggernaut all season..

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Maybe I am forgetting something, but after maybe the first 20 games I don't feel like people every thought Lebron's Miami teams were dead or had something seriously wrong with them.... they were a juggernaut all season..
First year in Miami they struggled to gel early on, but no one really panicked if I am remembering correctly.

However, both 14/15 and 16/17 had pretty good levels of panic at one point or another.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Re: Cavs lose 5 of their last 6 games
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Updated title

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 10:49:47 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
If IT isn't good to go when he returns they are cooked. Pretty crazy to think they're entire season hinges on someone coming off a hip injury.

« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2017, 11:24:46 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I love how much the title for this is getting updated before this thread becomes irrelevant  :P

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Cavs more concerned with Halloween than the regular season.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/10/lebron_james_halloween_party_c.html
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Cavs more concerned with Halloween than the regular season.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2017/10/lebron_james_halloween_party_c.html
thats a bonding thing.

Ive got 0 problem with it.

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2017, 12:32:33 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
I have to say, IT's Eazy-E costume was absolutely incredible.

I love that dude, and wish him nothing but the best, even if I do think Kyrie is an upgrade.