Author Topic: Marvin Bagley Thread  (Read 23180 times)

Re: Marvin Bagley
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Having Bagley would be a good problem to hawb if you view him as that

Having any player picked within the top 5 is a good problem to have.

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2017, 10:06:05 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Are the Lakers a bottom 5 team?

They will be by next month lol.

Didn't take that long.

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Are the Lakers a bottom 5 team?

They will be by next month lol.

Didn't take that long.

Seems like their slide in the standings coincides with Lopez going down - their one decent veteran and big. He'll most likely be back before long, at which point the Lakers will probably start winning at least a few games. Given how tightly bunched the teams are, it won't take much for them to move up - just by winning their next game they could move from 3d worst to 6th.

For the Lakers to stay at the bottom, we'll probably need to see more signs of life from the other bottom feeders - which we kind of have, recently. Chicago, Dallas, maybe Memphis will probably look better over the second half - which would be very good news for the Cs. 

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:42 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
Marvin Bagley 32 points and 21 rebounds tonight in win over FSU.

Just a beast within.

What I really, really like about him is his motor and some of his drives - some of them reminded me of Tatum, the way he used his length and body control to get under or around defenders to the rim. That kind of ability is likely going to translate.

Today's game plan gave us a pretty limited view of his potential, though. When Duke had the ball, a lot of the time he just set up on the block waiting for an entry pass or a shot to go up. Camping out on the block alongside Carter, another lottery-level talent, set him up for rebound after rebound and plenty of putback opportunities against shorter, less athletic players. He won't be doing that in the NBA.

I still think he should be a plus rebounder - his physical tools are better than Tatum's, and he's got miles of desire. He's probably more of a go-and-get-it guy than someone with the bulk to box out the Enes Kanters and Marcin Gortats of the world. I wouldn't count on him being a truly elite rebounder unless he really grows into it. What else he brings on offense was harder to see.  Based on a few drives, it looks like he should definitely be able to attack a closeout or get to the rim if the defense is scrambling. But can he shoot? That's the 100 million dollar question, which would open everything up. He just wasn't asked to do that today. Hopefully, if the Cs get him, he's doing the same drills as Tatum!

Here's a weird question out of today's game - can he set a good screen and then roll?  That seems like a very teachable skill, but it may be one he'll need to develop. I didn't see anything useful develop from the few high screens he set; not sure if that's on him or the guards. Let's just say he didn't look anything like Horford or Baynes, or even Theis; defenders easily slipped every screen. Surely if Theis can do it, Bagley can learn - and I see no reason he can't be a deadly roll man.

On defense Duke spent a lot of time in zone. He showed good energy closing out on shooters,and he seemed to recover well on p and r defense a few times they were in man; I don't remember him standing out on the defensive end, or being challenged much, but I might have missed a few plays.

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
As of right now I see a Chris Webber "light" big man playing in a weak big man era. He should definitely still be top 5 but he isn't worth the hype.

That's probably the best comp I've seen for Bagley.  I agree - their bodies and the way they move are eerily similary.

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
As of right now I see a Chris Webber "light" big man playing in a weak big man era. He should definitely still be top 5 but he isn't worth the hype.

That's probably the best comp I've seen for Bagley.  I agree - their bodies and the way they move are eerily similary.

I’m not sure I agree with the Webber comp.  That said, I think C-Webb was borderline Hall of Famer if he didn’t get hurt in the prime of his career (had just turned 30 and was in the middle of a five-year All-NBA run).  And he’s the player from another era I’d most like to see in the current era of stretch bigs.

Webber being a good Bagley comp would elevate Bagley in my eyes (he’s already 1B for me with Doncic at 1A).

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 04:18:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If Bagley is the next Chris Webber, he’s worth the hype.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Definitely, Webber was such a rare talent blessed with great tools. Top 10 overall talent out of all the players drafted since him ('93.) in my eyes. He would be 1st pick in this years draft, due to such safe high floor/ceiling.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2018, 05:45:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

The little bit I have seen him reminds me of Okafor 2.0 which scares me.

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 01:17:09 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The more I see Bagley play the more I like him. I think his defense is better than what it shown because of coach Ks outdated defense. Tatum looked lost on defense in coach Ks system the same way

« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 02:48:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I don't mean this snarkily at all, but you really need to watch more Bagley
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 04:21:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not really remotely similar
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas

I agree - Bagley has a much lighter frame, a very high motor, very fluid.

Not totally sold on him, but on balance I think he's worth the pick. My main worries with him are about where he slots in. He should develop into a plus defender at the 4 - he moves so well - but I wonder if he has the strength to play small-ball 5. He's great around the bucket in college, but how much of that is athleticism, where he won't have the same edge in the pros. And can he play as a true stretch four, with shooting and ability to attack closeouts. Again, I see enough to think he probably can do this- he's not a pure straight-line driver like Josh Jackson, and his shot doesn't look broken - but we're still projecting potential.

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2018, 12:52:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

I agree - Bagley has a much lighter frame, a very high motor, very fluid.

Not totally sold on him, but on balance I think he's worth the pick. My main worries with him are about where he slots in. He should develop into a plus defender at the 4 - he moves so well - but I wonder if he has the strength to play small-ball 5. He's great around the bucket in college, but how much of that is athleticism, where he won't have the same edge in the pros. And can he play as a true stretch four, with shooting and ability to attack closeouts. Again, I see enough to think he probably can do this- he's not a pure straight-line driver like Josh Jackson, and his shot doesn't look broken - but we're still projecting potential.

This is pretty much what I see as well.   Development of the perimeter skills is what I'll be watching for this year.

Re: Marvin Bagley Thread
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Sort of reminds me of a taller Josh Jackson.  In terms of his body, especially.  Worry that he doesn't have the frame to fill out.  Obviously a better prospect than Jackson, though.