Author Topic: Marvin Bagley Thread  (Read 23181 times)

Re: Marvin Bagley
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 02:46:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Interesting debate about the Minni pick.

So in this case, it is true to say that Minni got Flynn in the trade but it is not true to say the Celtics gave up Flynn.  And it is also true that Minni would have gotten Flynn in either case as the protections would have prevented the pick from being conveyed.

What was the question again and what does this have to do with the Kyrie trade?
Yeah, that's how I see it.

The pick sent to Minnesota ended up being Minnesota’s own 2012 second round pick. That wasn’t Johnny Flynn.
How do you figure?

EDIT: I think I get what you're saying because that's what the Celtics pick would've been if they had held onto the pick but the act of trading the pick back to Minnesota negated those conditions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:09:19 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So in this case, it is true to say that Minni got Flynn in the trade but it is not true to say the Celtics gave up Flynn.  And it is also true that Minni would have gotten Flynn in either case as the protections would have prevented the pick from being conveyed.

The pick sent to Minnesota ended up being Minnesota’s own 2012 second round pick. That wasn’t Johnny Flynn.
How do you figure?

EDIT: I think I get what you're saying because that's what the Celtics pick would've been if they had held onto the pick but the act of trading the pick back to Minnesota negated those conditions.

It didn’t really negate any conditions. If we traded the pick that turned into Flynn to Minnesota, that means we could have used that pick but for the trade, and that Minnesota wouldn’t have had the pick but for the trade.  Neither is true.

Rather, but for the trade, we would have had Minny’s 2012 #2 pick. Instead, Minnesota got that pick. We traded a conditional pick that never vested, leaving us - and thus Minnesota - with a second rounder.

It’s a simple concept: you can’t trade a pick that you never had a right to. We never, ever owned the Flynn pick, so we couldn’t trade it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

How do you figure?

It didn’t really negate any conditions. If we traded the pick that turned into Flynn to Minnesota, that means we could have used that pick but for the trade, and that Minnesota wouldn’t have had the pick but for the trade.  Neither is true.

Rather, but for the trade, we would have had Minny’s 2012 #2 pick. Instead, Minnesota got that pick. We traded a conditional pick that never vested, leaving us - and thus Minnesota - with a second rounder.

It’s a simple concept: you can’t trade a pick that you never had a right to. We never, ever owned the Flynn pick, so we couldn’t trade it.
When the Celtics traded the pick back to Minnesota, the conditions no longer applied since the conditions could not be applied to Minnesota because, you know, they are themselves.

While the Celtics never could've owned the #6 pick in 2009 they certainly could've owned picks 15-30. So to say the Celtics "never owned the Flynn pick" ignores that the pick could have fallen elsewhere in the draft and been a player who wasn't Jonny Flyyn.

I'm sorry to have dragged this Bagley thread this far into the weeds. Suffice it to say these two web sites are in agreement and I agree with their tracking of the pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How do you figure?

When the Celtics traded the pick back to Minnesota, the conditions no longer applied since the conditions could not be applied to Minnesota because, you know, they are themselves.

While the Celtics never could've owned the #6 pick in 2009 they certainly could've owned picks 15-30. So to say the Celtics "never owned the Flynn pick" ignores that the pick could have fallen elsewhere in the draft and been a player who wasn't Jonny Flyyn.

I'm sorry to have dragged this Bagley thread this far into the weeds. Suffice it to say these two web sites are in agreement and I agree with their tracking of the pick.

This off-shoot started when it was suggested that the KG trade would look different if the Wolves had taken Steph Curry with the pick they got from us. That never could have happened. We never owned the right to that pick.  That’s simply a fact.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

How do you figure?

This off-shoot started when it was suggested that the KG trade would look different if the Wolves had taken Steph Curry with the pick they got from us. That never could have happened. We never owned the right to that pick.  That’s simply a fact.

Shouldn't you guys take this arcane, irrelevant debate somewhere else so the rest of us can talk about Marvin Bagley?

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2017, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Bagley w 34/15 vs Bamba, 30/15 vs Florida. Guy looks like a lock for the no 1 to me..

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 10:16:27 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
For all of his strengths, Bagley (and Bamba) are probably the two least versatile players in the projected "top 5" of the draft.

Bagley is a pure power forward. On defense, he isn't physical enough, nor protect the rim well enough, to play Center. On offense, he can't shoot well enough to space the floor nor pass enough to initiate an offense.

I'm still not sure how to feel about him. I guess he can be compared to Andre Drummond who is just as bad on defense. Maybe in time, Bagley can extend his offense to where Lamarcus Aldridge is now?

For my Celtics perspective, this lack of versatility sounds like something Ainge would trade down from ;)
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
For all of his strengths, Bagley (and Bamba) are probably the two least versatile players in the projected "top 5" of the draft.

Bagley is a pure power forward. On defense, he isn't physical enough, nor protect the rim well enough, to play Center. On offense, he can't shoot well enough to space the floor nor pass enough to initiate an offense.

I'm still not sure how to feel about him. I guess he can be compared to Andre Drummond who is just as bad on defense. Maybe in time, Bagley can extend his offense to where Lamarcus Aldridge is now?

For my Celtics perspective, this lack of versatility sounds like something Ainge would trade down from ;)
I'm also not totally sold on Bagley but disagree with your assessment of him. He's incredibly versatile on defense and he's been a very physical player. He's still only 18 and he can definitely get stronger but his willingness to play physical and mix it up under the basket is unquestionable.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:48:14 AM by Big333223 »

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Having Bagley would be a good problem to hawb if you view him as that

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

When looking at prospects I like to look at 3 things, what they can do, what they clearly can't do, and what they show flashes of that they might develop.

For me Bagley looks like he currently can score in the paint and rebound.  He's showing flashes of ball handling and shooting (7-20 from 3).   He's showing flashes defensively, but I worry more about that developing.  I'm not seeing much that I think he'll never be able to do.  I think in fact he'll turn out to be a very versatile player because he has length, motor and burgeoning skill.  But it's very much about the projection.

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Just curious... Have you actually watched any of his highlights? Because I have never ever heard that comparison, and honestly Bagley has the body to play center or stick to PF, and runs the floor like an gazelle..
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:37 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

When looking at prospects I like to look at 3 things, what they can do, what they clearly can't do, and what they show flashes of that they might develop.

For me Bagley looks like he currently can score in the paint and rebound.  He's showing flashes of ball handling and shooting (7-20 from 3).   He's showing flashes defensively, but I worry more about that developing.  I'm not seeing much that I think he'll never be able to do.  I think in fact he'll turn out to be a very versatile player because he has length, motor and burgeoning skill.  But it's very much about the projection.

He's the consensus number one pick, he eerily reminds me of KAT, in that same sense that he wasn't clearly the first pick originally, but is going to end up eventually taking that spot.

I like Doncic, but I'm not so sure his game will translate as well as people think... But then again, I could be wrong.

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Are the Lakers a bottom 5 team?

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
Are the Lakers a bottom 5 team?

They will be by next month lol.

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Marvin Bagley 32 points and 21 rebounds tonight in win over FSU.

Just a beast within.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)