Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43157 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #285 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Philly dusted him off tonight and played him
When people talked about "winning culture" I feel like the thing that is really lost with a losing culture is the development of guys like Jah and Nerlens.

Both those guys were really good prospects who have been treated like garbage in Philly and its done a ton of damage to their careers.

THIS.

Okafor and Noel aren't bad players at all, but PHI hampered their growth and sort of kicked them to the curb in favor of others.

That's what happens when you keep tanking and selecting Top-5 picks for so many years. Soon you get "sick" of a few or can't have more than 2 at a same position.
Philly hasn't really developed anyone drafted high in the draft. Embiid has been this good since he first stepped on the floor. Neither Nerlens nor Okafor are any better now than when they were rookies. Fultz and Okafor look as if they have regressed. I know Brown is known as a developmental coach but he has done nothing with the talent Philly has drafted high in the draft. I don't blame the front office for the handling of these players, I blame the coach and medical team.

« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I feel like Brent Brown should get credit for developing TJ McConnel and Rob Covington. I do think it is fair to think that Okafor may be a victim of the process. He was the one terrible pick that they really made for the wrong reasons.

« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I have no idea what's happened with Okafor but, albeit on a poor offensive team, in his rookie year, at age 20, he averaged 17 PPG, 7 RPG, shot 51% FG & 69%FT in 30 minutes per game. It's all been down hill since but I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him once he is bought out or released. I doubt he gets traded but it's not impossible. He's just not made for this system so I don't think DA (or Brad) has much interest, or at least no where near what he had after his rookie season.

« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:46 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Suns are apparently interested but they want to move Monroe in the trade.  Bucks are also apparently now interested in having Okafor be a cheaper Monroe replacement (at least for the season).  Couple of other teams expressed interest in the past, including Boston. 

Obviously no one has put forth an offer acceptable to Colangelo, but I think someone will eventually pull the trigger on a trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #289 on: November 24, 2017, 03:45:10 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
The Sixers were closing out the Portland Trail Blazers with ease on Wednesday night, and with a 22-point lead late in the fourth quarter it seemed like everybody was getting a chance to play. Everybody except Jahlil Okafor. The fans took notice and spoke up: “We want Okafor!” Egged on by Joel Embiid, the crowd chanted over and over, roaring their plea for Okafor to take the court. The player who once led the team in scoring quietly stayed on the bench

To just hoist somebody a little tiny window of minutes isn’t something that interests me,” Brown said after the 101-81 win against Portland. “I say that out of respect to [Okafor]. I don’t think that puts him in a position that I want to put him in.”

Barring an injury to Embiid, it seems like Okafor isn't going to play at all for the 76ers this season. Not a big fan of their way of handling the situation. Why not let the player leave instead of keeping him hostage on the bench??
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:51:07 PM by TA9 »
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #290 on: November 24, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Sixers were closing out the Portland Trail Blazers with ease on Wednesday night, and with a 22-point lead late in the fourth quarter it seemed like everybody was getting a chance to play. Everybody except Jahlil Okafor. The fans took notice and spoke up: “We want Okafor!” Egged on by Joel Embiid, the crowd chanted over and over, roaring their plea for Okafor to take the court. The player who once led the team in scoring quietly stayed on the bench

To just hoist somebody a little tiny window of minutes isn’t something that interests me,” Brown said after the 101-81 win against Portland. “I say that out of respect to [Okafor]. I don’t think that puts him in a position that I want to put him in.”

Barring an injury to Embiid, it seems like Okafor isn't going to play at all for the 76ers this season. Not a big fan of their way of handling the situation. Why not let the player leave instead of keeping him hostage on the bench??
Dallas is doing the same thing with Noel. I wonder if its an attitude problem with both of them. That two separate franchises are doing the same thing to two players that were on the same team whose management fostered a losing environment on purpose seems likes it no coincidental.

« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2017, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Dallas is doing the same thing with Noel. I wonder if its an attitude problem with both of them. That two separate franchises are doing the same thing to two players that were on the same team whose management fostered a losing environment on purpose seems likes it no coincidental.

I mean, Noel CAN'T be happy about that. Guy gambled on himself hoping to have a good season to get a good contract this summer.

Not playing much does not help him one bit.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

protecting the process legacy.   The amount of top picks they have taken and traded off is amazing .  Letting him go cheapens the sucking on purpose team building program.  .  Years of loosing ,throwing games on purpose to get picks they never kept or were bad picks .  Another BIG .....every pick seemed to be the same type player .....knowing they can't keep five centers and pay them. 

« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2017, 01:02:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I mean, Noel CAN'T be happy about that. Guy gambled on himself hoping to have a good season to get a good contract this summer.

From recent quotes from Brett Brown it seems like Noel doesn’t work very hard in practice.  Sounds like an attitude problem to me as well.  A guy with his lack of skills better be a hard worker if he wants playing time and a huge contract.

« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

From recent quotes from Brett Brown it seems like Noel doesn’t work very hard in practice.  Sounds like an attitude problem to me as well.  A guy with his lack of skills better be a hard worker if he wants playing time and a huge contract.

Could be the reason. My theory is that both guys want out and these teams are both p---ed and saying through action "we aren't letting you earn a fat check from another team on my time!" They would play anybody over letting these kids dictate their own careers because of the assets they expended. If hard work was a requirement then a lot of players wouldn't get much time because a lot of them do enough to get by on their natural ability. They already said Okafor wasn't DNP because of attitude and that he had been working hard (this season anyway) and they played him when he was a news worthy problem in the past. It's out of spite IMO.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It's out of spite IMO.

Spite seems to be a fair descriptor for what is going on with Noel and Okafor.  And it just seems like such a bad look for both franchises.

Philly will probably suffer for it less, since it could easily be written of as Okafor just not being worthy of playing time, but Dallas has no excuse for not playing a guy they offered (reportedly) $17m per season this summer.

If I was a player agent I would be steering my clients as far away from Dallas as possible.

« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Can't they just let him go at this point? He is going to be a free agent. Even if embiid gets hurt they prefer Holmes and Johnson. We are a quarter of the way through the season and is only owed like 4 million? Just let everyone move on. BC is such a clown