Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43461 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 05, 2017, 01:38:04 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
...and here I thought I couldn't hate this team any more.

smh
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #256 on: November 05, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
...and here I thought I couldn't hate this team any more.

smh
I admire the consistency of moaning about this team. I personally would have thought it near impossible to watch these first 9 games and not come away with at least some small level of excitement for the team.

Your ability to stick to your guns and hate this team is pretty impressive. Props.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #257 on: November 05, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Even he comes he will play behind Haynes and theis is at first...

« Reply #258 on: November 05, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Even he comes he will play behind Haynes and theis is at first...

And besides those two he'll also be behind Baynes.

« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2017, 03:05:28 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Okafor should file a grievance with the league. If you are going to refuse to play him, than trade him or waive him. Letting him rot on the bench because you don't want him around, but can't find anyone to trade you what you want is shady business.
Colangelo is definitely shady but Okafor has no grievance.  He's getting paid ~5M for the last year of his contract.  The Suns aren't playing Bledsoe while they wait for a trade offer they like.  Should he file a grievance to? 

It is funny to hear the griping now with Colangelo, the basketball guy, in charge.  His handling of Noel and Okafor is a nice contrast to Hinkie's handling of MCW. 

Players can file grievance through the union. The league then has to respond.

While Okafor would most likely lose a hearing, it would mainly be for lack of proof. But it's obvious Philly is intentionally not playing Okafor simply because they don't want him there, not because he isn't good enough to play. The NBA typically frowns upon that crap, and if Okafor did file a grievance could probably get the league to at least strongly "recommend" Philly do something. It's painfully obvious right now Philly is being unrealistic, and probably also a bit spiteful, to the detriment of Okafor.

Bledsoe is a totally different situation. Bledsoe was the starter before he blasted the team and demanded to be traded. The order of events is key.

As for Colqngelo, well, he's been better than Hinkie in terms of bringing in vets to help the team form an identity. He's helped the team move forward. But Hinkie handled the MCW situation far better than Colangelo did with either Noel or Okafor. Colangelo completely screwed up with both big men, while Hinkie sold MCW at peak value.
Okafor is the Sixers 4th best center.  Embiid, Amir and Holmes are better than him especially since Coach Brown's mantra is defense, pace and space.  Okafor doesn't check any of those boxes.  He's one of the worst defenders in the league.  They played him in the Toronto game (Embiid sat out and Holmes injured) which was a 30 point blowout loss.  They are trying to make the playoffs not tank this year. 

They also sat Bledsoe for 20 games at the end of last season even though he was perfectly healthy so they could go into full tank mode.   Which totally p---ed Bledsoe off.

Hinkie was tanking hard.  He was smart enough to know bringing most veterans into that situation was a bad idea.  There aren't many veterans that are good mentors in losing situations like that and he didn't want meaningless wins.  He did have Mbah a Moute one season and later Ish Smith. 

Colangelo has mostly followed Hinkie's approach.   Last season their veterans were Henderson, Bayless (bad 3 year contract and only played 3 games), Rodriguez (from Europe so not much of a vet).  He did trade for Illyasova early but then he traded him before the deadline.  This season their veterans were upgraded to Redick and Amir but both are on 1 year deals and they still have Bayless.  So other than Bayless which was a poor decision Colangelo hasn't commited multiyear money to any vets. 

« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2017, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Okafor should file a grievance with the league. If you are going to refuse to play him, than trade him or waive him. Letting him rot on the bench because you don't want him around, but can't find anyone to trade you what you want is shady business.
Colangelo is definitely shady but Okafor has no grievance.  He's getting paid ~5M for the last year of his contract.  The Suns aren't playing Bledsoe while they wait for a trade offer they like.  Should he file a grievance to? 

It is funny to hear the griping now with Colangelo, the basketball guy, in charge.  His handling of Noel and Okafor is a nice contrast to Hinkie's handling of MCW. 

While Okafor would most likely lose a hearing, it would mainly be for lack of proof. But it's obvious Philly is intentionally not playing Okafor simply because they don't want him there, not because he isn't good enough to play. The NBA typically frowns upon that crap, and if Okafor did file a grievance could probably get the league to at least strongly "recommend" Philly do something. It's painfully obvious right now Philly is being unrealistic, and probably also a bit spiteful, to the detriment of Okafor.

Bledsoe is a totally different situation. Bledsoe was the starter before he blasted the team and demanded to be traded. The order of events is key.

As for Colqngelo, well, he's been better than Hinkie in terms of bringing in vets to help the team form an identity. He's helped the team move forward. But Hinkie handled the MCW situation far better than Colangelo did with either Noel or Okafor. Colangelo completely screwed up with both big men, while Hinkie sold MCW at peak value.
Okafor is the Sixers 4th best center.  Embiid, Amir and Holmes are better than him especially since Coach Brown's mantra is defense, pace and space.  Okafor doesn't check any of those boxes.  He's one of the worst defenders in the league.  They played him in the Toronto game (Embiid sat out and Holmes injured) which was a 30 point blowout loss.  They are trying to make the playoffs not tank this year. 

They also sat Bledsoe for 20 games at the end of last season even though he was perfectly healthy so they could go into full tank mode.   Which totally p---ed Bledsoe off.

Hinkie was tanking hard.  He was smart enough to know bringing most veterans into that situation was a bad idea.  There aren't many veterans that are good mentors in losing situations like that and he didn't want meaningless wins.  He did have Mbah a Moute one season and later Ish Smith. 

Colangelo has mostly followed Hinkie's approach.   Last season their veterans were Henderson, Bayless (bad 3 year contract and only played 3 games), Rodriguez (from Europe so not much of a vet).  He did trade for Illyasova early but then he traded him before the deadline.  This season their veterans were upgraded to Redick and Amir but both are on 1 year deals and they still have Bayless.  So other than Bayless which was a poor decision Colangelo hasn't commited multiyear money to any vets.
Man you are all over the forum defending philly against any potential grievance. I like their players but this is over the top

« Reply #261 on: November 05, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I predict Okafor will be a Celtic soon

But i wonder whose min he is going to eat in order to get playing time....

Celtics give up multiple 2nds and maybe Nader or Bird

« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Man you are all over the forum defending philly against any potential grievance. I like their players but this is over the top
Just bringing some reasonableness into the over the top Sixers bashing that goes on around here.  That doesn't mean that there aren't reasonable criticisms. 

Definitely not defending Colangelo.  He's a slimy snake.  He's certainly botched things with Noel and Okafor.  I thought for sure he'd trade Okafor during the draft under the cover of the Fultz pick.  There's just no valid grievance for Okafor.  Okafor is a lousy NBA player at the moment who shouldn't be playing other than garbage minutes.  The Sixers don't owe Okafor anything.  He's getting paid and they gave him plenty of minutes his 1st two seasons to prove himself.  Okafor hasn't to my knowledge offered to give back any of his salary in a buyout.  If Colangelo can't get a deal worked out by December or January at the latest I do think he should just let Okafor go.   

« Reply #263 on: November 05, 2017, 05:29:47 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Who is on our g-league team?   

The problem is we have to salary match in a trade.  Nader doesn't make near enough to do so. 

Bird is on a 2way contract so I'm not sure he could even be included in the trade or what his salary match would be.  Also the Sixers already have their two 2way contract players. 

« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2017, 05:31:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The problem is we have to salary match in a trade.  Nader doesn't make near enough to do so. 

Bird is on a 2way contract so I'm not sure he could even be included in the trade or what his salary match would be.  Also the Sixers already have their two 2way contract players.

I could be wrong about this, but don't we have the disability trade exception we can use in this situation?

« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

what makes you think we would give up 2nd rounders for a rental of a 15th man

« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2017, 06:05:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Unless this guy gets bought out, he's not coming to Boston.

No way Ainge trades any assets for the #15 guy on the roster.

« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2017, 08:23:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
trade idea

To Celtics: Okafor
To 76ers: Yabusele, Nader, 2nd round pick  (2020)

Rotation

Baynes
AL
Tatum
Brown
Kyrie

Okafor
Morris
Semi
Smart
Rozier

Whoever gives up a 1st or multiple 2nds will win in the Okafor sweepstakes.  Just doubt there is much of a lineup at all

« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2017, 08:27:18 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Starting to believe if there is one coach and one system that could turn his career around, it is ours. Whose time will he take away though?

Heavily protected first(to 24) and Sullys ghost for Okafor? Actually Sully is doing fine in China scoring 50 a game😁

« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2017, 10:00:51 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Boston Celtics have long had interest in trading for Jahlil Okafor but view him as more of a project player than an  contributor.

Boston is unwilling to trade a first round pick to the 76ers for Okafor, who had his 18-19 rookie scale option declined.

Okafor is seeking a buyout from the 76ers as they continue to seek an asset in return for him on the trade market