Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43554 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yabusele would be an overpay in my estimation.

Is this based on his abnormally high PER?   Because other than that, right now I am not seeing how he is a better player than Okafor. 

« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Is this based on his abnormally high PER?   Because other than that, right now I am not seeing how he is a better player than Okafor.

C's blog tends to overhype these guys. Just look at pages from last year, where Zizic was supposed to be the future franchise center and missing piece.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:51 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

C's blog tends to overhype these guys. Just look at pages from last year, where Zizic was supposed to be the future franchise center and missing piece.

Well, Zizic is starting for the Cavs, so we will learn more about that guy soon..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think Okafor can still be salvaged, the man clearly has talent. He also has some glaring flaws, but being in such a terrible situation I guess he never saw a path to reach his goals and didn't bother to work on those flaws.

I mean, Philly didn't exactly do right by Nerlens Noel either. The Sixers stupidly drafted elite big men prospects in three consecutive drafts. Only a franchise run by the biggest of idiots does that. It doesn't excuse Okafor from not working on his game, but it does set the stage for bringing out a person's worst traits. Sometime people like that need a better support system to bring out their best.

Which is why I would be content if the C's took a flier on the kid. Maybe a better structure and player development culture is all he needs to be the best version of himself he can be. It's worth the gamble if the cost is low enough, and at this point I'm betting Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than the DPE alone, without including any other assets.

1) So much for "best player available" as the supreme drafting rule when it puts you in such a situation...

2) Could we just get him for the vet min after he clears waiver...??? (Which teams might be able to claim him...?? Could he refuse and join us...?? not too familiar with that waiver process...)
It's just that I want our DPE available at the deadline for a potential trade for a deadly 3pt shooter who can run through screens and can hit the turn around jumper... (a skill that his a HUGE advantage in the playoffs when everyone knows all your plays)
I'm thinking of someone like Belinelli  who is making 6+ million with the Hawks and has only 1 year remaining...
in this case, wasnt the real problem that philly did NOT pick the best player available and misjudged the talent?

Yeah I'm not sure anyone's bemoaning their string of big man picks if they'd taken Porzingis over Okafor.

Zinger would've either been injured or his development screwed up by this poor excuse for a franchise.

Hinkie and now Colangelo have led this team down a dark, classless path.

Colangelo will let Okafor rot or trade him for nothing, a la Noel, to a Western Conference team before he gives the Cs and Danny a chance at him for peanuts. He looks bad in the Fultz/Tatum swap (at least for the moment), he doesn't want to look like Danny's female dog again.

« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Can anyone tell me why Okafor isn't seeing any time this season? He's only played in one game and has, apparently, been a healthy scratch in the rest of Philly's games. He claims he wants to play but why isn't he?

I know Philly is messed up right now (see: Markelle Fultz) but he can't even get garbage time minutes?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think Okafor can still be salvaged, the man clearly has talent. He also has some glaring flaws, but being in such a terrible situation I guess he never saw a path to reach his goals and didn't bother to work on those flaws.

I mean, Philly didn't exactly do right by Nerlens Noel either. The Sixers stupidly drafted elite big men prospects in three consecutive drafts. Only a franchise run by the biggest of idiots does that. It doesn't excuse Okafor from not working on his game, but it does set the stage for bringing out a person's worst traits. Sometime people like that need a better support system to bring out their best.

Which is why I would be content if the C's took a flier on the kid. Maybe a better structure and player development culture is all he needs to be the best version of himself he can be. It's worth the gamble if the cost is low enough, and at this point I'm betting Boston might be able to get him for nothing more than the DPE alone, without including any other assets.

1) So much for "best player available" as the supreme drafting rule when it puts you in such a situation...

2) Could we just get him for the vet min after he clears waiver...??? (Which teams might be able to claim him...?? Could he refuse and join us...?? not too familiar with that waiver process...)
It's just that I want our DPE available at the deadline for a potential trade for a deadly 3pt shooter who can run through screens and can hit the turn around jumper... (a skill that his a HUGE advantage in the playoffs when everyone knows all your plays)
I'm thinking of someone like Belinelli  who is making 6+ million with the Hawks and has only 1 year remaining...
in this case, wasnt the real problem that philly did NOT pick the best player available and misjudged the talent?

Yeah I'm not sure anyone's bemoaning their string of big man picks if they'd taken Porzingis over Okafor.
The Sixers expected choice was Russell until the Lakers took him.  Porzingis wouldn't work out for the Sixers because he wanted to play for the Knicks which is funny in retrospect.  Porzingis was also looked at as a project.  With Embiid suffering his re-injury, taking Okafor made sense given the situation. 

That draft's top 10 hasn't turned out to be stellar.  Russell traded after 2nd year, 4th year options declined for Okafor and Hezonja, and WCS, Mudiay, Johnson, Kaminsky and Winslow haven't really shown anything. 

« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Well, Okafor's stock is at an all-time low. Whereas Yabusele is an unproven commodity.

In other words, would you rather have this prize package worth $25 or what's behind door #2.

Also, Yabusele looks poised to be an ideal big in the modern NBA, between his abilities to shoot, attack closeouts, and activity on the boards. If he can lock in on defense, he has potential there as well, but his problem is primarily between the ears.

« Reply #232 on: November 02, 2017, 08:04:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Can anyone tell me why Okafor isn't seeing any time this season? He's only played in one game and has, apparently, been a healthy scratch in the rest of Philly's games. He claims he wants to play but why isn't he?

I know Philly is messed up right now (see: Markelle Fultz) but he can't even get garbage time minutes?
Except for the big Toronto loss (2nd night on a B2B) where Embiid sat out and Okafor played, all the Sixers games have been close.  They've played a tough schedule and there haven't been garbage minutes.  Stauskas has only played in 2 games for 14 minutes total and he only played that much because Redick and Fultz were out injured. 

« Reply #233 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:39 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd love to have Okafor - especially if its on the cheap.  Did u guys hear Tommy last night?  Hell yes !!!  I believe in Brad.  Brad and the team will make Okafor a very good player !

« Reply #234 on: November 02, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

The Sixers expected choice was Russell until the Lakers took him.  Porzingis wouldn't work out for the Sixers because he wanted to play for the Knicks which is funny in retrospect.  Porzingis was also looked at as a project.  With Embiid suffering his re-injury, taking Okafor made sense given the situation. 

That draft's top 10 hasn't turned out to be stellar.  Russell traded after 2nd year, 4th year options declined for Okafor and Hezonja, and WCS, Mudiay, Johnson, Kaminsky and Winslow haven't really shown anything.

Looks like Terry Rozier should have been a top 10 pick

« Reply #235 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Looks like Terry Rozier should have been a top 10 pick
The time to judge that is at the end of their rookie contracts but right now you'd definitely have a big shakeup in a re-draft. 

« Reply #236 on: November 02, 2017, 08:26:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Haven't seen it mentioned but Holmes is back and apparently available for tomorrow's game.  Okafor could end up being inactive. 

« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Assuming @JahlilOkafor did get a buyout, the #Celtics would be the most likely destination for the center.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/925781419867205632

« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2017, 08:49:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Assuming @JahlilOkafor did get a buyout, the #Celtics would be the most likely destination for the center.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/925781419867205632

vomit

« Reply #239 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
If he did get bought out, can't we just sign Okafor using VETERAN MINIMUM, while keeping the DPE for later in the season?  ???

Also would we get Okafor's Bird Rights in a trade or not?

(Yeah I know, two different scenarios/questions, but I'm just curious to know).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller