Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43142 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2017, 06:19:15 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I was at Okafor's first game in the NBA when he torched the Celtics out of the gate and completely dominated the first quarter.  I think he was 7-7 starting out.  He was so NBA ready on the offensive end.

I cannot believe he has fallen this far. 

« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2017, 06:21:50 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
If Brad can somehow get his hands on Jalil this will be good for us and him.
Why?  Brad couldn't do anything with Young or Sully. 

Coach Brown is a player development coach.  Covington, an undrafted player, has developed into a good starting SF.  McConnell, an undrafted player, is becoming a solid backup PG.  Okafor had plenty of opportunity with the Sixers.  The Sixers moved Noel to PF for most of a season to allow Okafor opportunity to succeed at center.  They tried the same thing with Embiid/Okafor combo for a few games last season.

Dude apples and oranges

« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I was at Okafor's first game in the NBA when he torched the Celtics out of the gate and completely dominated the first quarter.  I think he was 7-7 starting out.  He was so NBA ready on the offensive end.

I cannot believe he has fallen this far.

He hasn't.  He wants to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing play and he's on a team that won't let him.  I'd be p---ed and not want to make an effort either

« Reply #168 on: November 01, 2017, 06:35:43 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Coach Brown is a player development coach.  Covington, an undrafted player, has developed into a good starting SF.  McConnell, an undrafted player, is becoming a solid backup PG.  Okafor had plenty of opportunity with the Sixers.  The Sixers moved Noel to PF for most of a season to allow Okafor opportunity to succeed at center.  They tried the same thing with Embiid/Okafor combo for a few games last season.

I just have a feeling that if Jalil Okafor ends up in BOS he'll thrive. Don't ask me how I just know it.

Perhaps it's the team's chemistry and winning culture. Perhaps it's Brad Stevens. Perhaps it's the Banners. Perhaps it's Gino...or Celtic Mystique.

I'm not counting the kid out.

And Young and Sully are different - Okafor used this past offseason to actually lose weight, adapting to a vegan lifestyle. That effort alone puts him in a class above Sully, and Young to a point. The guy showed up to camp in the best shape of his career because he put in the work, they  give a little burn and he looks improved. Philly's response? Have their coach publicly declare he's not in the rotation.

Even after that, he's handling it pretty well. He seems to see the writing's on the wall - he's not a part of the plan in Philly, still wishing the team well but wanting an opportunity. Isn't that what you what guys to do? Want to play? If he just sat on a bench collecting his checks, he'd be a malcontent.
Okafor has made some changes which will hopefully help him succeed.  However that doesn't mean that he deserves to be in the rotation.  Philly is trying to win and make the playoffs.  It says something that Okafor can't beat out Amir or apparently Holmes for playing time backing up Embiid. 

I don't see why he do any better with us.  Whose minutes is he going to take?  Okafor needs to go to the Bulls or Suns where he can get minutes on a team not interested in winning. 

« Reply #169 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
If he gets bought out, why would he want to come to Boston? He's not getting playing time here either. He'd be behind Horford, Baynes and maybe Theis.

His skill set would be different than the guys we have and might be nice as an occasional change up but I just don't see him having more playing time value than what we already have. He wants to play. He would have to dramatically improve his deficiencies to play here. Do you see him thinking he's gonna beat out the guys in front of him? Is he thinking, "I can be as good defensively as Baynes or bring the energy and smarts like Theis". I don't. He's gonna wanna go somewhere he can get PT.

« Reply #170 on: November 01, 2017, 06:40:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Dude apples and oranges
Why?  Does Brad not care about defense?  Is he going to focus the offense on Okafor?  Is he going to take away minutes from better players to give Okafor playing time? 

« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
and WHAT IF ....he turns out to be a key piece ......picked up for a song .

There was Whitside who was a nothing , Turner , Crawford ....lots of guys

Kinda just need patience and imagination. of someone who believed in them .....and CBS s lucky charm.

« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2017, 06:55:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Why?  Brad couldn't do anything with Young or Sully

The same Sully who was selected #21 in the draft, was a starter for 3 of his 4 years in Boston, and averaged 11 PPG and 8 RPG in his Celtics career before completely falling off a cliff after leaving?

I would say Brad did a very good job with Sully while he was in Boston; he would probably still be a productive player on our team.

« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:35 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I just have a feeling that if Jalil Okafor ends up in BOS he'll thrive. Don't ask me how I just know it.

Perhaps it's the team's chemistry and winning culture. Perhaps it's Brad Stevens. Perhaps it's the Banners. Perhaps it's Gino...or Celtic Mystique.

And Young and Sully are different - Okafor used this past offseason to actually lose weight, adapting to a vegan lifestyle. That effort alone puts him in a class above Sully, and Young to a point. The guy showed up to camp in the best shape of his career because he put in the work, they  give a little burn and he looks improved. Philly's response? Have their coach publicly declare he's not in the rotation.

Even after that, he's handling it pretty well. He seems to see the writing's on the wall - he's not a part of the plan in Philly, still wishing the team well but wanting an opportunity. Isn't that what you what guys to do? Want to play? If he just sat on a bench collecting his checks, he'd be a malcontent.
Okafor has made some changes which will hopefully help him succeed.  However that doesn't mean that he deserves to be in the rotation.  Philly is trying to win and make the playoffs.  It says something that Okafor can't beat out Amir or apparently Holmes for playing time backing up Embiid. 

I don't see why he do any better with us.  Whose minutes is he going to take?  Okafor needs to go to the Bulls or Suns where he can get minutes on a team not interested in winning.

From the sounds of it, he's not even being given a chance to earn a spot over Amir. Brad Stevens would never declare a player out of the rotation in November. Brad would encourage guys to stay ready, because they can impact a game at any given moment.

Philly doesn't want him. They supposedly had agreed to a deal last season, even pulling him from a game, and then the deal broke down. They've already made up their mind. Give the kid a chance to play somewhere else.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #174 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I've never been a proponent of going out getting Okafor but I'd be lying if I said I weren't curious about what CBS to potentially do with his career. Philly could potentially look like even more like fools and they know this lol

« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The same Sully who was selected #21 in the draft, was a starter for 3 of his 4 years in Boston, and averaged 11 PPG and 8 RPG in his Celtics career before completely falling off a cliff after leaving?

I would say Brad did a very good job with Sully while he was in Boston; he would probably still be a productive player on our team.
The same Sully that Brad and Danny didn't think enough about to re-sign even after 4 years.  Did Sully get any better during those 4 years?  Don't think so.  That's why he's out of the league.  Not blaming Brad but he's no miracle worker. 

Putting up numbers does not equate to player development.  Sully, Turner and Crawford put up numbers on a team of role players but when they left they showed their limitations.  You might say Brad is good at putting lipstick on a pig.   

« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The same Sully that Brad and Danny didn't think enough about to re-sign even after 4 years.  Did Sully get any better during those 4 years?  Don't think so.  That's why he's out of the league.  Not blaming Brad but he's no miracle worker. 

Putting up numbers does not equate to player development.  Sully, Turner and Crawford put up numbers on a team of role players but when they left they showed their limitations.  You might say Brad is good at putting lipstick on a pig.   

The signing of Horford put the nail in Sully's coffin. I also believe that the Cs thought there would be more of a market for him. I realize we kept Zeller, but Zeller's role of sitting on the bench and being ready when called upon didn't really fit Sully.

And I don't disagree with the 'lipstick on a pig' reference at all. Like Belichick, Stevens gets the most of his players and I believe he would make Okafor a decent NBA player, as well.

« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2017, 07:38:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Guys, we have the DPE AND A VETERAN MINIMUM.

If we can get Okafor for one of the two AND still have that extra exception for a future buy-out candidate... DO IT!   8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

From the sounds of it, he's not even being given a chance to earn a spot over Amir. Brad Stevens would never declare a player out of the rotation in November. Brad would encourage guys to stay ready, because they can impact a game at any given moment.

Philly doesn't want him. They supposedly had agreed to a deal last season, even pulling him from a game, and then the deal broke down. They've already made up their mind. Give the kid a chance to play somewhere else.
Okafor had a shot to earn playing time during training camp and preseason.  Teams generally play a 9 or 10 player rotation.  So that means 3 or 4 active players per team are out of the rotation.  Stauskas is out of the Sixers rotation too.  Should they buy him out? 

« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2017, 07:42:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/925869335683457024?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account
@wojespn

Sources: 76ers aren't budging on Jahlil Okafor's bid for contract buyout talks. Team plans to continue trade discussions. Interest exists.

What a FANTASTIC Front Office!  :laugh:

"Interest exists"  ::) (Really?? Then why hasn't be been traded after like a year of this...)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller