Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43548 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Two words: Michael Olowakandi. I guess adding 2.0 would be 3 words?  Anyway, former high pick, immensely talented post player, great hands and touch with the ball, and still gave up more than he got. Bounced around the league (including here) on his way out, repeatedly signed to minimum deals just in case magic happened and he became anything other than a liability. It just was not to be.

Olowokandi's best season came for the Clips in 2001. Here were notable stats:

11.1 ppg, 1,8 blocks, 8.9 rbs...
62% FT, 43% FG on 11 attempts per game...

as a 26-year-old who started and played 32 minutes per game for a bad team.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say: I'd put money on Okafor ending up being a more valuable and enduring NBA player than Olowokandi. PROVIDED Okafor gets into a decent situation.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Okafor wants out

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21251976/jahlil-okafor-wants-philadelphia-76ers-trade-offer-buyout

"Honestly, I did not want them to pick up my option," Okafor said at the team's shootaround Wednesday. "This is my life. This is my career, and I'm not getting an opportunity here, which is fine. The team looks great and I'm not a part of that. I want the team to do great things, but at the same time I want to play."

« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2017, 04:51:30 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Two words: Michael Olowakandi. I guess adding 2.0 would be 3 words?  Anyway, former high pick, immensely talented post player, great hands and touch with the ball, and still gave up more than he got. Bounced around the league (including here) on his way out, repeatedly signed to minimum deals just in case magic happened and he became anything other than a liability. It just was not to be.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say: I'd put money on Okafor ending up being a more valuable and enduring NBA player than Olowokandi. PROVIDED Okafor gets into a decent situation.

I don't know. Okafor can't beat our Amir Johnson for minutes right now. He could certainly turn it around, but he could also go the way of Thomas Robinson who right now is out of the league at 26. Interesting note about Robinson is he actually put up pretty huge numbers in his one stint in philadelphia averaging nearly 9 points and 8 rebounds in just 16 minutes!

« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Pretty funny that Okafor understand his trade value better than BC has the last few years: "There were definitely deals on the table," he said. "Bryan just didn't deem they were fair, which I understand, I'm a No. 3 pick [in 2015]. But at the same time, that's what teams were offering. Me and my agent started getting the hint they weren't going to offer more, so it was whether you were going to make a move on it or not, and you waited too long and now I'm here today."

« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2017, 05:03:43 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

I don't know. Okafor can't beat our Amir Johnson for minutes right now. He could certainly turn it around, but he could also go the way of Thomas Robinson who right now is out of the league at 26. Interesting note about Robinson is he actually put up pretty huge numbers in his one stint in philadelphia averaging nearly 9 points and 8 rebounds in just 16 minutes!

The oft-maligned Amir Johnson is also a longtime plus-minus darling and a veteran presence, while Philly had already made up its mind on Okafor's role when they signed Amir, so no surprise there. But I get your point.

If anything, for the sake of the potential for a young, talented player, I hope Boston picks him up for nothing, Brad turns him into a serviceable big or better, and he picks up a contract somewhere next season on the right path.

One underrated negative of the current lottery process is that talented players go to some awful situations. Poorly managed teams get high picks and squander player talent. I want to see talented players thrive, but some of them need strong leadership and mentorship from the get go.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2017, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I see the 76ers buying him out. Hard to see anyone trading anything of value for a rental of this guy

« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2017, 05:10:57 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Okafor is a savant inside old school scorer. He has incredible footwork, can post up and score easy buckets.  That is a lost art, and, while it is no longer a highly demanded skill in the spacing era of the NBA, has value.

Baynes would be a good mentor for Okafor to develop his game. 

« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:16 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
If Brad can somehow get his hands on Jalil this will be good for us and him.

« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Pretty funny that Okafor understand his trade value better than BC has the last few years: "There were definitely deals on the table," he said. "Bryan just didn't deem they were fair, which I understand, I'm a No. 3 pick [in 2015]. But at the same time, that's what teams were offering. Me and my agent started getting the hint they weren't going to offer more, so it was whether you were going to make a move on it or not, and you waited too long and now I'm here today."
It is funny how Colangelo, the basketball guy, keeps bungling these situations.  He could have used the cover of the Fultz trade to move Okafor during the draft in a fake 1st deal like the Noel trade.  I'm surprised an Okafor for Portis and a 2nd didn't get done. 

« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The oft-maligned Amir Johnson is also a longtime plus-minus darling and a veteran presence, while Philly had already made up its mind on Okafor's role when they signed Amir, so no surprise there. But I get your point.

If anything, for the sake of the potential for a young, talented player, I hope Boston picks him up for nothing, Brad turns him into a serviceable big or better, and he picks up a contract somewhere next season on the right path.

One underrated negative of the current lottery process is that talented players go to some awful situations. Poorly managed teams get high picks and squander player talent. I want to see talented players thrive, but some of them need strong leadership and mentorship from the get go.
Who are all these talented players that get squandered on poorly managed teams?  Those players don't just disappear.  They go to other teams and generally continue to play poorly or at least below their draft status.  Maybe Okafor finds a better situation but he's still going to have the same limitations (bad defense, below average rebounder, non-versatile offense). 

« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2017, 05:50:15 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The thing is, they used to say Kandi would be different in a decent situation, too.

Checking out the numbers, they're very similar players. Okafor always got more shots/usage, but both could rebound, block 1-2 shots/gm, and score in the low post. And absolutely blew chunks on defense. Not sure either can pass particularly well.

Just not expecting magic to happen where he becomes a different player. He could hang around the league for a while like Kandi, but I'm not expecting him to suddenly be a contributor on a winning team.

« Reply #161 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:22 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Why?  Brad couldn't do anything with Young or Sully. 

Coach Brown is a player development coach.  Covington, an undrafted player, has developed into a good starting SF.  McConnell, an undrafted player, is becoming a solid backup PG.  Okafor had plenty of opportunity with the Sixers.  The Sixers moved Noel to PF for most of a season to allow Okafor opportunity to succeed at center.  They tried the same thing with Embiid/Okafor combo for a few games last season. 

« Reply #162 on: November 01, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Coach Brown is a player development coach.  Covington, an undrafted player, has developed into a good starting SF.  McConnell, an undrafted player, is becoming a solid backup PG.  Okafor had plenty of opportunity with the Sixers.  The Sixers moved Noel to PF for most of a season to allow Okafor opportunity to succeed at center.  They tried the same thing with Embiid/Okafor combo for a few games last season.

I just have a feeling that if Jalil Okafor ends up in BOS he'll thrive. Don't ask me how I just know it.

Perhaps it's the team's chemistry and winning culture. Perhaps it's Brad Stevens. Perhaps it's the Banners. Perhaps it's Gino...or Celtic Mystique.

I'm not counting the kid out.

« Reply #163 on: November 01, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
While maybe not fitting in the system or current flow of the MBA offense...you do not scoff at the #3 pick who is 21, a big, played for coach k, could play for Brad, and has potential to grow.  You'd be foolish not to try.

« Reply #164 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I just have a feeling that if Jalil Okafor ends up in BOS he'll thrive. Don't ask me how I just know it.

Perhaps it's the team's chemistry and winning culture. Perhaps it's Brad Stevens. Perhaps it's the Banners. Perhaps it's Gino...or Celtic Mystique.

I'm not counting the kid out.

And Young and Sully are different - Okafor used this past offseason to actually lose weight, adapting to a vegan lifestyle. That effort alone puts him in a class above Sully, and Young to a point. The guy showed up to camp in the best shape of his career because he put in the work, they  give a little burn and he looks improved. Philly's response? Have their coach publicly declare he's not in the rotation.

Even after that, he's handling it pretty well. He seems to see the writing's on the wall - he's not a part of the plan in Philly, still wishing the team well but wanting an opportunity. Isn't that what you what guys to do? Want to play? If he just sat on a bench collecting his checks, he'd be a malcontent.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman