Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43120 times)

Re: 76ers Pick Up Rookie Scale Options On Everyone But Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2017, 05:07:29 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Is he hurt or do they just not play him? I think he has talent and can play but it has to be in the right system. This will be very interesting to watch and see what happens.

« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2017, 05:09:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
his option was declined.

« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I think the part of the Okafor story people tend to miss, is that he's actually a terrible OFFENSIVE player. He's more Anthony Bennett than just a guy with defensive problems.

78th in Offensive Rebound Rate
152nd in Defensive Rebound Rate
466th out of 468 in Real Plus Minus
Negative VORP for his career
-3.8 BPM, on one of the worst teams in the league
4 turnovers, 5 fouls and 2 assists per 100 possessions
51% career FG
67% career FT

Offensive Rating: 100
Defensive Rating: 110

He's one of the worst players in the league, who somehow manages to be one of the worst +/- guys as well, while playing for the Sixers.

Does he have talent? Yes, just like Anthony Bennett and Sully have talent.

« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm a Duke basketball fan (don't really watch much anymore) but I didn't like Okafor as much as I should have when he was there, he was very good but IMO seemed lazy (what is defense?). Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see them play for my team if they are good enough (eww LBJ and Kobe), I think CBS can do wonders for him and in turn that can help us out a lot IF it works and he really wants it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:40:36 PM by ImShakHeIsShaq »
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2017, 05:43:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’d give the TPE for him. If nothing else he’s a tradeable contract at the deadline.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I’d give the TPE for him. If nothing else he’s a tradeable contract at the deadline.

Do you feel this is true even with his option declined? Wouldn't that mean you could only trade him fro a fellow expiring?

« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2017, 06:31:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Do you feel this is true even with his option declined? Wouldn't that mean you could only trade him fro a fellow expiring?

Why so?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No, he could be traded for a non-expiring deal. 60-days after he’s acquired, his salary could be aggregated with other players’ to take back even more.

« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Imagine drafting him over Porzingis. Ouch.

« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
FWIW:  I would be interested in taking a flyer on Okafor, for the right price.

I think it's still way too early to completely give up on him.   He has size, wingspan and skills.  He didn't win that NCAA title by being a lousy basketball player.   I just think he has always been a total square peg since being picked by Philly for their round hole.   I think in the right environment and system he could be coached to be a good NBA player.

That said, due to the expiring nature of his contract and the risk that he cannot be salvaged. the price would have to be very reasonable.   Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.

I agree.  I'm not a fan of his game, but for something like a second rounder or two... why not take a flyer on him? We need depth at C anyway, worst case scenario is we pay him $5 million this year to sit on the bench (or at home if he pulls a Keith Bogans).  I wouldn't be a fan of cutting or trading someone to bring him in, but with the DPE, why not?
while i understand your points, i am still put off by his contract. if, as you say, he sits on the bench this year, then why pay him $5,000,000? if, as many people hope, he develops into a real player, then his salary demand will jump significantly and he will test the free agent market.

would the celtics be willing to pay for that?

he looks to be gone after this year in either scenario. so why get him to begin with?

1) There is a middle ground, where he plays reasonably well, but not enough to command a “huge” offer next year.  We would be allowed to sign him to a deal of up to $7.9 million (I think — might only be $6.3 million) which is more than the taxpayer MLE and near the full MLE.  Since few teams have cap room, he might be willing to resign for a season or two to get a bigger offer when more cap room is available and he has increased his value more by continuing to demonstrate his talent and ability to fit in the NBA.  Don’t think players aren’t aware of how Stevens helped utilize Turner into a major deal, and turned IT into a potential max player (his injury being the only thing that could prevent such an offer).

2) On the downside, if he still stinks, he’s an expiring contract that can be traded again at the deadline.  We’re actually quite short on salary filler, and an extra $5 million could go a long way if we try to swing a blockbuster.  We paid Zeller $8 million to be potential trade filler last year, so what’s $5 million?

« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2017, 06:45:02 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
You guys have no idea how strong a player like Okafor would do on a team like Celtics or Spurs with some discipline, pride and strong coaching staff. We need to get him. Trade our own 1st rounder and use the exception. The kid can score like crazy. We just need to teach him team ball.

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
A big who doesn't rebound, doesn't play defense, and can't shoot with any range. He also missed 61 games over his first two seasons and isn't playing right now, so he's an injury risk.

Pass.

Can't see the forest for the trees. Good thing you aren't a GM. It's not that he Doesn't have the tools to play, he just hasn't played for the right team. He is still exactly who we knew he was when he was drafted third and people were screaming at LA for passing on him. He's a freak scorer that needs work. He's 21 years old.

« Reply #87 on: October 31, 2017, 07:06:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Why so?

Well my understand was our DPE was only good for this year and we are at the salary cap. So we can only use it to take on salary this year. In my mind this meant that if we got Okafor with the DPE we could only trade him for another player that is expiring. Is that not true?

Edit: Saltlover seems to be explaining I am incorrect in this thinking, which I believe, but would be happy to hear why cause I don't understand it :)

« Reply #88 on: October 31, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I haven’t thought of that before but if it’s him or any other player we use with the new exception we have, we can flip it at the deadline maybe combining with another salary let’s say Smart or Morris for example, and get another real upgrade.

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #89 on: October 31, 2017, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
On a crappy team, he still cannot even crack the lineup. His numbers are abysmal, he has shown nothing to even get him in games. His d is invisible..I pass like the rest of the nba over the past two years. This is like groundhogs day...it seems like every few months they try to trade him. The only thing I am semi intrigued by is our Duke connection with him but even that will most likely not help. Hard for me to forget his street brawl as well.