Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43119 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Suns would make sense.

Okafor for Bledsoe

Or

Okafor, Bayless for Bledose, Chandler

Sixers cans add players like Korkmaz if necessary

I am a bit confused by both these deals. The team writers are speculating the 76ers may even waive Okafor if they can't get a deal worked out. Their coach has come out and said based on ability he is not in their rotation. I think Bledsoe and the suns have torpedoed his trade value, but a team would still at least give up a late first or a semi interesting prospect for him. From the 76ers perspective are they putting fultz on the bench the next two years? Simmons and fultz both operate with the ball in their hands, plus the offense is going To heavily involve embiid. How do those 4 play together? And then what happens to Reddick?
The Sixers may not pick up Okafor's 4th year option but their is no reason to waive him now.  Maybe they'd do so after the trade deadline. 

I agree that it should take a bit more to get Bledsoe but if the Sixers could get Bledsoe for Okafor and filler they have to do that.  Bledsoe, Redick, Covington, Simmons and Embiid is a playoff team in the East.  The Sixers need another shot creator in the starting lineup.  Bledsoe is also an improvement over Bayless defensively.

Fultz isn't ready to start.  He's been coming off the bench behind Bayless.  His development will take however long it takes.  There is no reason to force him into the starting lineup if he's not ready.  Not only does that hurt their playoff chances but it also would impede the development of Simmons and Embiid.  If Fultz develops quickly this year, they can turn around and trade Bledsoe.

If nobody is offering anything for Okafor cause the league has determined he is not worth the 6+ million dollar contract he is on, and brown has emphatically said he is not in the rotation, why wouldn't they just waive him or do a buyout? They would get good will from his agent and other players in the league (which honestly they could probably use a little of) and they do not have a distraction for a 4th string center.
because he is insurance for Embiid. In fact the gane Embiid sat, Okafor played and scored 10 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. There is no reason to waive him

I guess you are not really following this super close. Holmes is injured right now and will be back fairly soon. When he returns he will also play ahead of Okafor and Okafor is the 4th string center. At that point he isn't even embiid insurance. He is holmes insurance. Which would be lime us debating whether we can lose our Larkin insurance.

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the one thing he'd offer is variety in the offense where the team would be able to use his post scoring when they go through their frequent outside shooting dry spells

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Suns would make sense.

Okafor for Bledsoe

Or

I am a bit confused by both these deals. The team writers are speculating the 76ers may even waive Okafor if they can't get a deal worked out. Their coach has come out and said based on ability he is not in their rotation. I think Bledsoe and the suns have torpedoed his trade value, but a team would still at least give up a late first or a semi interesting prospect for him. From the 76ers perspective are they putting fultz on the bench the next two years? Simmons and fultz both operate with the ball in their hands, plus the offense is going To heavily involve embiid. How do those 4 play together? And then what happens to Reddick?
The Sixers may not pick up Okafor's 4th year option but their is no reason to waive him now.  Maybe they'd do so after the trade deadline. 

I agree that it should take a bit more to get Bledsoe but if the Sixers could get Bledsoe for Okafor and filler they have to do that.  Bledsoe, Redick, Covington, Simmons and Embiid is a playoff team in the East.  The Sixers need another shot creator in the starting lineup.  Bledsoe is also an improvement over Bayless defensively.

Fultz isn't ready to start.  He's been coming off the bench behind Bayless.  His development will take however long it takes.  There is no reason to force him into the starting lineup if he's not ready.  Not only does that hurt their playoff chances but it also would impede the development of Simmons and Embiid.  If Fultz develops quickly this year, they can turn around and trade Bledsoe.

If nobody is offering anything for Okafor cause the league has determined he is not worth the 6+ million dollar contract he is on, and brown has emphatically said he is not in the rotation, why wouldn't they just waive him or do a buyout? They would get good will from his agent and other players in the league (which honestly they could probably use a little of) and they do not have a distraction for a 4th string center.
Being out of a team's rotation is not a reason to waive a player especially when they are not causing a stink about it.  All we know is that no team offered enough to entice Colangelo to trade Okafor in the past.  That doesn't mean there weren't any offers.  Colangelo is likely to take less now.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a Portis and a 2nd (or fake 1st) for Okafor deal.   

Agent and player goodwill won't buy you a cup of coffee.  In any case, why would the Sixers and Colangelo have an issue with that.  They just gave Embiid a max contract after playing only 31 games.  They gave Redick 3 times as much as he's earned in a year.  They are about to renegotiate and extend Covington.

Okafor has been a pretty good soldier overall but he has already made some minor grumblings to the media stating he didn't know if he was a member of the team anymore, it would be nice to be somewhere else etc. the interview was probably 3 weeks ago. I'll try to dig it up later when I am not on my phone. The longer this goes on, and he will have an even more muddled path to minutes when Holmes returns, the more frustrated he is going to become. The 76ers are not going to pay him 7 million dollars next year in case embiid and Holmes are both injured. I also disagree with you that good will with agents and good reputations with players are not worth anything. The heat have had a reputation for a long time (possibly changed in last few years) that they took care of their players. I've ready many articles of free agents mentioning that over the years. On the flip side reddick and Amir are making a combined 35 million in part because philly had a bad reputation with players from the hinkie years while players like Crawford and Gibson signed much more reasonable contracts with Minnesota

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
For the dpe to work here the 76ers would have to decline the team option for next year and Okafor would be a free agent this summer. The article suggests they wouldn't do that and they would need extra incentive. Don't see us giving them that.

True.. But it can work if say you give them Yabusesle and Nadar

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I bet Brad could work wonders with Okafor. The BS factor should never be underestimated...

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 04:14:55 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Suns would make sense.

Okafor for Bledsoe

Or

Being out of a team's rotation is not a reason to waive a player especially when they are not causing a stink about it.  All we know is that no team offered enough to entice Colangelo to trade Okafor in the past.  That doesn't mean there weren't any offers.  Colangelo is likely to take less now.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a Portis and a 2nd (or fake 1st) for Okafor deal.   

Agent and player goodwill won't buy you a cup of coffee.  In any case, why would the Sixers and Colangelo have an issue with that.  They just gave Embiid a max contract after playing only 31 games.  They gave Redick 3 times as much as he's earned in a year.  They are about to renegotiate and extend Covington.

Okafor has been a pretty good soldier overall but he has already made some minor grumblings to the media stating he didn't know if he was a member of the team anymore, it would be nice to be somewhere else etc. the interview was probably 3 weeks ago. I'll try to dig it up later when I am not on my phone. The longer this goes on, and he will have an even more muddled path to minutes when Holmes returns, the more frustrated he is going to become. The 76ers are not going to pay him 7 million dollars next year in case embiid and Holmes are both injured. I also disagree with you that good will with agents and good reputations with players are not worth anything. The heat have had a reputation for a long time (possibly changed in last few years) that they took care of their players. I've ready many articles of free agents mentioning that over the years. On the flip side reddick and Amir are making a combined 35 million in part because philly had a bad reputation with players from the hinkie years while players like Crawford and Gibson signed much more reasonable contracts with Minnesota
Redick (23M) and Amir (11M) are making that much because they are on 1 year contracts.  The Sixers were not going to give multi-year deals this offseason as they wanted to retain their cap space for next offseason.  We were paying Amir 12M per year for the same reason.  Crawford and Gibson are on 2 year deals.  Gibson's 2yr/28M is definitely not more reasonable.  The Sixers did overpay for Redick because he was the player that they really wanted but only for a year.  They didn't want a bidding war.  They gave him a big number and 1 hour to decide. 

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 05:00:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think at least one of the 28 other teams can offer the Sixers something more considerable than what I want the Celtics to give up for him. However, Danny has shown no lack of confidence in trading away valuable assets for players that he likes.

I am interested in picking up Okafor. I'm curious what his # will be when he hits FA. Anything north of $15m.... I'm not interested.

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
For the dpe to work here the 76ers would have to decline the team option for next year and Okafor would be a free agent this summer. The article suggests they wouldn't do that and they would need extra incentive. Don't see us giving them that.

You cannot package the DPE with outgoing salary.

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I bet Brad could work wonders with Okafor. The BS factor should never be underestimated...

I agree with this.  I really hope he gets dealt somewhere that will play him.

Have we ever had verified reports of ANY interest on the part of the C's?

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 06:25:05 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
(probably on a better player that's bought out by then)

I see no such player on the horizon. Name some.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Are the 76ers still asking for a haul. Like lottery picks? Because you'd think that otherwise at least one GM would be interested in taking a chance on Okafor. Teams like the Pacers, Bulls or Hawks have nothing to lose in giving the guy a real opportunity.

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
He's always on the block, which is at least one reason why many on here, and elsewhere, deem him to not be a good fit for the "modern NBA" lol :laugh:.

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 08:28:39 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
He's always on the block, which is at least one reason why many on here, and elsewhere, deem him to not be a good fit for the "modern NBA" lol :laugh:.

Can't shoot or defend. Olowakandi 2.0.

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
People wanted to trade smart for this guy for a while. Next year smart will be making 15 million and this guy may be on the vet min somewhere

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2017, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

You cannot package the DPE with outgoing salary.
With those two players you can match salary so you wouldn't need the DPE. I don't think we'd do that trade though.