Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43117 times)

J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« on: October 28, 2017, 02:31:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21186074/philadelphia-76ers-continue-efforts-find-suitable-trade-jahlil-okafor

The Philadelphia 76ers are working with the representatives of Jahlil Okafor on finding a trade partner.

Okafor is out of the rotation behind Jahlil Okafor and Amir Johnson. The 76ers also are giving frontcourt minutes to Ben Simmons and Dario Saric.

The 76ers have to make a decision on whether to pick up Okafor's $6.3 million option for 18-19 by Oct. 31st. The 76ers are ultimately likely to exercise it if he's not traded.

Okafor, who has been professional and has worked rigorously on his body throughout this process, is healthy and fit for the first time in years and is poised to thrive with a change of scenery, according to sources
There are not currently any frontrunners in trading for Okafor.

Does disabled player exception qualify here? Danny had some interest in okafor in the off season when the amir Johnson sign and Trade Fell through

Career avg: 14pts/6rb/1assist
-Size- 6'11" tall, 7'0 wingspan. 270lbs
-Young with potential. Drafted high position
-Duke celtic family with Kyrie and Tatum grows bigger.

For a 1 year rental 15th man we could do worse
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 02:54:20 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:58:44 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i think highly of that kid's game. He needs a fresh start and a fair chance. I really hate the way that the sixers so far ruined his young carer and i wish worst for that organisation(if you can call them an organisaiton).

i wanted him on the Celtics, and if we can get him for scraps, then go for it, but i'm not sure who or what can we give up. Maybe Gershon and a 2nd rounder or something, maybe Nader?

anyhow i just wish they make a trade and get it over with, give the young kid a chance.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:32:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
For the dpe to work here the 76ers would have to decline the team option for next year and Okafor would be a free agent this summer. The article suggests they wouldn't do that and they would need extra incentive. Don't see us giving them that.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:14:24 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
The stats are completely empty if he lets his opponent do the same or worse to him on the other end.

Therein lies the problem with Jah.

The NBA player representation of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
If he comes here he plays behind Horford and Baynes for sure.  Theis might add more to the team.  Okafor is in a bad situation yes but his game is his offensive low post moves and that is it.  I see him at best backup center in league somewhere

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
J . Okafor with DPE 
what are the Celtics giving up?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 09:35:15 AM by Roy H. »

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
J . Okafor with DPE 
what are the Celtics giving up?

One second rounder lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 09:07:42 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Our second unit of Rosier, Smart, Morris, and Theis is so tough I think they would compensate for okafor's lack of D.
And he would add a new dimension to this squads offense.

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
You can't expect people believe this without the slightest source  ::)

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Especially since there first would need to be news that Philadelphia declined his option for next season.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Especially since there first would need to be news that Philadelphia declined his option for next season.

I have followed this pretty closely. Anything is possible, but it would be very shocking if they picked up his option as anything besides a condition of a trade where a new team wanted longer to try and fix him and had cap space. Their coach Brown recently talked at length about Amir Johnson beating out Okafor and that Okafor was not in the rotation. They also have Holmes coming back to battle Johnson for backup minutes. There doesn't really seem to be a chance they would pay him 6.8 million next year to back up embiid and Holmes (and possibly a vet they replace Johnson with).

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
He is always on the trade block and while he has defensive limitations I dont understand why he is thrown to the wolves already at 21 years old..

He looked great all preseason.. Lost weight, looks more athletic ... only logged one game this season 10 and 9rb but still is in the doghouse..

I would strike if I were DA offer someone like Yabuesele ... at this point the price cant be too high,,

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 10:19:06 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
There has to be something with this guy other than poor defense. We see poor defenders find floor time if they can handle it on the offensive end.

I'm guessing he doesn't have a great work ethic or like we see sometimes with talented bigs doesn't have a desire for basketball.

Maybe I'm wrong but something just seems off with this entire situation. Not like the 6ers are world beaters and tired old Amir beating you out?
ok fine

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
If the Sixers don't pick up his team option I'd trade for him.

In limited minutes I believe he can be an asset to the team. He has flaws like really bad defense, an unwillingness to pass, the inability to shoot, but honestly he's coming from the Sixers with these problems. If he was coming from a team like the Spurs I'd be more concerned, but this is the same team that's making Markelle Fultz look like a bust early on.

Sure his game is outdated, but he's still someone you can give the ball to at the end of the shot clock that can make his own shot. The Celtics have players that shoot and play defense that will help cover up his deficiencies. He'd also have access to Al Horford which could do wonders for him.