Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43141 times)

Re: J. Okafor - Merged Thread
« Reply #240 on: November 04, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Take it for its worth but there was an analyst on ESPN this morning that said "a trade was close last week" with the Celtics ... continued to say with a buyout Okafor is most likely to be a Celtic ..

grain of salt but thought I'd share ...

« Reply #241 on: November 04, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Take it for its worth but there was an analyst on ESPN this morning that said "a trade was close last week" with the Celtics ... continued to say with a buyout Okafor is most likely to be a Celtic ..

This feels like it's going to drag on for a while...

I wouldn't mind Okafor on a flier at all, but Ainge will be in no rush to use DPE, but at the same time if he got Okafor he probably would hope he could retain his Bird Rights in some way as well (b/c Ainge is in absolutely no business of acquiring pure rentals via trade).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #242 on: November 05, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Looks like the Cs are definitely interested and talks have occurred (ongoing?) but we are unwilling to part with a first round draft pick.

From Washburn today:

Celtics Unwilling To Trade First Round Pick For Jahlil Okafor

Nov 5, 2017 8:59 AM

The Boston Celtics have long had interest in trading for Jahlil Okafor but view him as more of a project player than an immediate contributor.

Boston is unwilling to trade a first round pick to the 76ers for Okafor, who had his 18-19 rookie scale option declined.

Okafor is seeking a buyout from the 76ers as they continue to seek an asset in return for him on the trade market.

Okafor is out of the 76ers' rotation.

Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap-amp/247958/Celtics-Unwilling-To-Trade-First-Round-Pick-For-Jahlil-Okafor

« Reply #243 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Yabusele would be an overpay in my estimation.

Is this based on his abnormally high PER?   Because other than that, right now I am not seeing how he is a better player than Okafor.

C's blog tends to overhype these guys. Just look at pages from last year, where Zizic was supposed to be the future franchise center and missing piece.

Well, Zizic is starting for the Cavs, so we will learn more about that guy soon..

*Looks up Zizic's stats*
I don't think the Cavs got the memo that Zizic is starting for them.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2017, 11:47:34 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
At what time do you start making a stink if you're Okafor? I mean, Colangelo is really screwing him over here, and it's mainly just a way to try and save face for the Sixers organization. I also think Colangelo is a little hesitant to deal with Danny again after how this Fultz situation has turned out. There's a little animosity there if you ask me.

If I was Okafor I would give him a deadline in the very near future and say that if he hasn't made a trade by that point, then he would start insisting on a buyout and start making an issue about this to the reporters.

« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

This feels like it's going to drag on for a while...

I wouldn't mind Okafor on a flier at all, but Ainge will be in no rush to use DPE, but at the same time if he got Okafor he probably would hope he could retain his Bird Rights in some way as well (b/c Ainge is in absolutely no business of acquiring pure rentals via trade).

A second round pick could be reasonable.

He doesn't play good defense, but he would be interesting on the second unit. Marcus, as we know, cannot shoot a lick. But he does run a good pick and roll and knows how to feed the post. What if we had Oak in there to make a few ISO buckets? This is a guy who scores well against *starting* post defenders. He's got to be good a few buckets a game, a few trips to the line. Put him in there with our other second unit options – say, Tatum or Morris, who can make their own shots, and catch and shoot players like Semi – if he's willing to pass we might get good scoring out of that unit and put a lot of pressure on the other team.

Whether we could rebound and defend enough with him in the game, and get others enough shots, is another question... The question for Brad and Danny is probably more about his attitude than his tools: is he humbled enough and strong enough to change the way he plays.

« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Looks like the Cs are definitely interested and talks have occurred (ongoing?) but we are unwilling to part with a first round draft pick.

From Washburn today:

The Boston Celtics have long had interest in trading for Jahlil Okafor but view him as more of a project player than an immediate contributor.

Boston is unwilling to trade a first round pick to the 76ers for Okafor, who had his 18-19 rookie scale option declined.

Okafor is seeking a buyout from the 76ers as they continue to seek an asset in return for him on the trade market.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap-amp/247958/Celtics-Unwilling-To-Trade-First-Round-Pick-For-Jahlil-Okafor

I hate the Sixers bro. They clearly don't value Okafor at all, but are still tryna stick up teams for his services? Won't even give anybody the courtesy of seeing him on an NBA court, but are actually haggling over his destroyed trade value.

Like get outta here.

« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Colangelo has no balls. just let the kid go have a career.

« Reply #248 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Okafor should file a grievance with the league. If you are going to refuse to play him, than trade him or waive him. Letting him rot on the bench because you don't want him around, but can't find anyone to trade you what you want is shady business.

« Reply #249 on: November 05, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Yeah if true it's pretty terrible.  I think Okafor will get bought out soon but to not let him go already when you bury him like that I think sucks.  I think he deserved to get some run this year over Amir Johnson.

I think as long as everyone is fine with Okafor not even playing much on the Celtics (barring need for an injury) if it goes that way, I would be in favor of Okafor as a project player.  If you can get him to defend and rebound the guy naturally can score.   He has shown a jumpshot at times too at least to midrange.  He can be a productive NBA player if you can have him develop in those ways.  Maybe he doesn't play much but goes elsewhere, or maybe they can sign him for some time cheap enough, but I think there is no downside.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #250 on: November 05, 2017, 12:53:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
While I'd love to take a flier on Okafor for cheap (i.e. 2nd round pick + DPE), I'm not really sure Boston is a good fit for him.

Okafor needs playing time to find out what he really is in the NBA. He needs to be given the opportunity to play through his mistakes. But Boston really isn't in a position to do that. If he came here he'd be the third string center behind Baynes and Horford, and might even be behind Theis in the rotation as well.

Will Okafor be any happier spending most of his time on the bench here? Maybe just being part of an organization that has its act together would be enough, as Philly really is that bad of a clusterf... but I'm not convinced this is the best situation for him.

« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

From Washburn today:

Sounds like Philly is scared of what Brad could do with Okafor given his history with other failed Philly lottery picks...

It seems inevitable that one way or another, Okafor will be a Celtic. And if that previous sentence winds up jinxing the situation, who cares?

« Reply #252 on: November 05, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Okafor should file a grievance with the league. If you are going to refuse to play him, than trade him or waive him. Letting him rot on the bench because you don't want him around, but can't find anyone to trade you what you want is shady business.
Colangelo is definitely shady but Okafor has no grievance.  He's getting paid ~5M for the last year of his contract.  The Suns aren't playing Bledsoe while they wait for a trade offer they like.  Should he file a grievance to? 

It is funny to hear the griping now with Colangelo, the basketball guy, in charge.  His handling of Noel and Okafor is a nice contrast to Hinkie's handling of MCW. 

« Reply #253 on: November 05, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Seems like Celtics have been in long discussions for okafor

The amir Johnson sign and trade fell apart

And now the pick discussions did too. They're asking for too much for okafor

Buy him out already

« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Colangelo is definitely shady but Okafor has no grievance.  He's getting paid ~5M for the last year of his contract.  The Suns aren't playing Bledsoe while they wait for a trade offer they like.  Should he file a grievance to? 

It is funny to hear the griping now with Colangelo, the basketball guy, in charge.  His handling of Noel and Okafor is a nice contrast to Hinkie's handling of MCW. 

Players can file grievance through the union. The league then has to respond.

While Okafor would most likely lose a hearing, it would mainly be for lack of proof. But it's obvious Philly is intentionally not playing Okafor simply because they don't want him there, not because he isn't good enough to play. The NBA typically frowns upon that crap, and if Okafor did file a grievance could probably get the league to at least strongly "recommend" Philly do something. It's painfully obvious right now Philly is being unrealistic, and probably also a bit spiteful, to the detriment of Okafor.

Bledsoe is a totally different situation. Bledsoe was the starter before he blasted the team and demanded to be traded. The order of events is key.

As for Colqngelo, well, he's been better than Hinkie in terms of bringing in vets to help the team form an identity. He's helped the team move forward. But Hinkie handled the MCW situation far better than Colangelo did with either Noel or Okafor. Colangelo completely screwed up with both big men, while Hinkie sold MCW at peak value.