Author Topic: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench  (Read 9529 times)

Re: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 10:57:20 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm taking a different angle, the Brad Stevens effect.

Players have looked like average to slightly below average before coming here and Stevens has made them look like solid starters.  Turner got a 70 million dollar contract cuz Stevens made him look so good and we brought him here on the mid-level exception.  Crawford got paid when he left Boston.  Not big time money but a whole lot more than he was getting paid to be here.  Crowder look like a vet minimum guy at Dallas when he came here and when he signed that long-term deal everyone's freaking out how could you pay that guy so much money he's a vet minimum guy then he started hitting that three and all of a sudden people are thinking he's a big money player and his contract wad a steel, but there were those of us that knew he was really just a solid role player and a place holder just like Bradley.  Any combination of Brown, Hayward, or Tatum is better than Crowder and Bradley.  Crowder may be a solid starter on a bunch of different teams but he is a bench level player on our team and on most other good teams.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm not going to go into depth about whether or not Crowder deserves to be a starter, but I think some people are disrespecting him a bit right now. He didn't ask to be traded; that was Danny's decision. Thee fact that he was a starter, but isn't anymore shouldn't make anybody here happy. Other than getting a little peeved at fans cheering for Hayward during a home game, Crowder was a productive player who played hard in Boston for 2 1/2 years.

For his sake, I hope he can continue to be a solid player and earn a solid contract in three years. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't get to take advantage of the 'Stevens bump' because he was traded (with multiple years left on his contract) and not a FA.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This change is 100% related to Love.  He just can't effectively play center full time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Soooo, the Cavs are abandoning their small ball experiment (Love at C? Who the hell thought that would work?), and Crowder isn't gonna start over Lebron!?

None of this should come as a surprise (except that Tyronn Lue figured out it wasn't working)

cavs are too old and slow to play small ball .  Small ball takes good defensive intensity .....yeah waiting to see that effert from that Cavs old geezer team.

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2017, 11:23:02 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Crawder

1. better than average defender (but not exceptional)
2. poor rebounder.
3. helps team win, borderline starter

...in short; below average 3D guy, as compared to elite 3D guys from the past. (i.e. Jame Posey, Robert Horry)

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Crawder

1. better than average defender (but not exceptional)
2. poor rebounder.
3. helps team win, borderline starter

...in short; below average 3D guy, as compared to elite 3D guys from the past. (i.e. Jame Posey, Robert Horry)

How’s he below average? He’s a good defender, and last year was near the top tier in three point shooting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 12:18:57 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 97
I appreciated Jae's hustle, but I believe that his game took a step back following his leg problems.  He couldn't drive to the rim as effectively and had a reduced lift in his jumping.  His lateral quickness seemed to suffer as well on defense.  I believe that Jae's overall game had peaked and he was on the decline.

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
as much as I think Lue amounts to nothing as a headcoach... he was smart enough to realize crowder is nothing more than a role player.

a poster on the 1st page nailed it when he said the things crowder did that made him an exceptional player when we first got him have declined the last couple seasons. Celtics fans overrated him for too long.

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

No, he doesn’t. He’s a top-15 SF.

Lol you can't be serious!!! Top 15 SF in what league? G-league? Your comments get more and more bizarre.

Please try harder to add something of substance.

13th in scoring
3rd in threes made per game
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

That’s top-15, pretty indisputably.

Confirming that top-15 at a position means he's pretty mediocre beyond being a 3 and D player.  15 out of 30 starters...  Unless you're suggesting he's got something special beyond that?

Nobody said he’s special. He’s a solid starter. The idea that he can’t start for a contender is silly; very few teams have pretty good starters coming off their bench.

If Cleveland had Horford instead of Love, for instance, Jae would be a valuable starter for them.
Most of the contenders have very good players on their bench.  Iggy, Gordon, and Gay for example are all bench players on the 3 teams that most people feel are the best out west. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2017, 11:39:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

No, he doesn’t. He’s a top-15 SF.
coming off the bench for a contender sounds about right for a 12-15 range small forward

Most contenders have above-average starting SFs coming off their bench?
Id say plenty of real contenders have had Jae Crowder level players coming off the bench.

Its certainly not absurd to think he should be coming off the bench for a contender.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2017, 10:14:17 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Crowder tonight had 9 points, 4 rebounds on 3/10 shooting and was 0/5 from behind the arc.

Also had a -24 rating apparently. YIKES.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 11:06:48 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Crowder tonight had 9 points, 4 rebounds on 3/10 shooting and was 0/5 from behind the arc.

Is this really gonna turn into  a thread for pointing out every bad game Crowder has?

Do we really need to be that petty?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404

Is this really gonna turn into  a thread for pointing out every bad game Crowder has?

In some ways I agree, but its relevant to the topic.

He's a shell of the Brad Stevens coached crowder because the system isn't working for him. He doesn't know what he's doing on either end.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Crowder is standard Mr first quarter , and he isn't shy to speak his frustrations
so bench him won't be a smart move

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

In some ways I agree, but its relevant to the topic.

He's a shell of the Brad Stevens coached crowder because the system isn't working for him. He doesn't know what he's doing on either end.
the cavs have a system? Lol