Author Topic: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench  (Read 9528 times)

Re: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2017, 09:59:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

No, he doesn’t. He’s a top-15 SF.
In China

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2017, 10:03:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Hayward would probably start for any basketball team without the name "state" in it.

It'll be interesting to see if he's better than Jaylen and Tatum next year

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:23 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Hayward would probably start for any basketball team without the name "state" in it.

It'll be interesting to see if he's better than Jaylen and Tatum next year

I'm on the hype train for Jaylen and Tatum, but Hayward is a really, really good basketball player.

Hayward is a ball-handler. Brown and Tatum are both wings. They may all play small forward, but their game play is different. I don't feel the need to compare or wonder if they will be better, because they can all play together. Hayward is a great team player who can do anything you need him to do. Like Horford, Hayward makes the game easier on everyone, including Brown and Tatum.

The beautiful thing will be when we have 5 guys on the court who all average 12-20 points. Each guy picks their spot. Each guy plays for the team to get the best shots possible. Each guy with the potential to go off for 25-30. How do you defend that?

All 3 of them will be similarly-sized cogs in that undefendable machine. Does it matter who is better?

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2017, 11:03:44 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Maybe this will teach him to keep his mouth shut and not complain

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Soooo, the Cavs are abandoning their small ball experiment (Love at C? Who the hell thought that would work?), and Crowder isn't gonna start over Lebron!?

None of this should come as a surprise (except that Tyronn Lue figured out it wasn't working)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2017, 11:36:47 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Soooo, the Cavs are abandoning their small ball experiment (Love at C? Who the hell thought that would work?), and Crowder isn't gonna start over Lebron!?

None of this should come as a surprise (except that Tyronn Lue figured out it wasn't working)

Ty Lue has got to be the worse coach to ever win a title.

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 203
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

Lol you can't be serious!!! Top 15 SF in what league? G-league? Your comments get more and more bizarre.
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 12:48:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lol you can't be serious!!! Top 15 SF in what league? G-league? Your comments get more and more bizarre.

Please try harder to add something of substance.

13th in scoring
3rd in threes made per game
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

That’s top-15, pretty indisputably.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2017, 01:06:10 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

13th in scoring
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

Confirming that top-15 at a position means he's pretty mediocre beyond being a 3 and D player.  15 out of 30 starters...  Unless you're suggesting he's got something special beyond that? 

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2017, 01:20:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

13th in scoring
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

Confirming that top-15 at a position means he's pretty mediocre beyond being a 3 and D player.  15 out of 30 starters...  Unless you're suggesting he's got something special beyond that?

Nobody said he’s special. He’s a solid starter. The idea that he can’t start for a contender is silly; very few teams have pretty good starters coming off their bench.

If Cleveland had Horford instead of Love, for instance, Jae would be a valuable starter for them. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

13th in scoring
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

Nobody said he’s special. He’s a solid starter. The idea that he can’t start for a contender is silly; very few teams have pretty good starters coming off their bench.

If Cleveland had Horford instead of Love, for instance, Jae would be a valuable starter for them.

I mean, this is the same thing as the AB argument last year - it's context-dependent.

No, Crowder is not starter-level on Cleveland, but that's mainly because he has Lebron and Love in front of him. (He should've never started in the first place; Lue's lineups have been pretty questionable so far.)

Same thing can be said for almost all of the other contenders - Boston (no with Hayward/Morris/Tatum - who I think probably still would've started over Crowder due to his rebounding), GS (no with Durant and Green), SA (no with Leonard/Aldridge/Gasol), and no with OKC (George and Melo). Houston would be the only one that he'd probably start on.

But that's mainly due to the contenders having the top-5 small forwards in the league in Lebron, KD, Leonard, Hayward, and George, let alone Melo being there, too.

He's certainly a competent-level starter on a championship team, but similar to the Pachulias, Robersons, and Thompsons of the world, you need the right pieces around him in order for it to work.

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2017, 01:41:32 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

13th in scoring
7th in 3PT%
12th in assists per game
12th in rebounding
Good defense

Oh okay. I think the notion of "top-" whatever might have misled to the idea he was something other than a solid NBA role player.

The thing with role players, as is happening to Jae now, is that where they fit in the rotation often has more to do with the rest of the roster than their skills on their own. Role players, by definition, fill out [roles] around other, usually better, players.  Jae thinks he's a starter?  Okay, unless and until there is a star on the roster at that spot. The Cavs have LBJ, we picked up a much better SF who would've forced him to our bench. Him starting is about finding a team for him that has stars at other positions (e.g. Memphis) or that just sucks (like NYK or PHX). If he wants a crack at the big money on his next deal, starting is the most assured path. Bench minutes vary too much.

Always appreciated his grit and hustle, and wish him well. Cleveland has some depth with Korver there also, plus JR who could play SF with the bench. Not enough minutes to go around, but his defense is his best shot at getting minutes there. And LBJ resting, of course.

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2017, 01:48:05 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Ty Lue has got to be the worse coach to ever win a title.

Over K.C. Jones?

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2017, 03:02:48 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I often emphasized that Crowder is a overrated player AND defender. He can only guard average/good 3's.
If you compare his defense with the one of Marcus Smart, you get that Marcus can guard pretty much any size/speed/postion combination, while Crowder was limited to guys his own size and that's it.
on offense all he does is jack up three's and every now and then gets  a wide open layup.
He can be a good/great bench player, but like many of you guys said, i dont think he will like that role right now.
p.s. i love the mess  that the cavs are right now, with a tendency of getting worse.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:11 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'm taking a different angle, the Brad Stevens effect.
ok fine