Author Topic: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench  (Read 9542 times)

Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench
« on: October 27, 2017, 06:00:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21185431/cleveland-cavaliers-using-fourth-starting-lineup-2017-18-season

I kind of feel bad for Crowder. He was actually playing pretty good there and was one of the only guys playing defense. I think this is also going to be the 4th lineup they are trying in 5 games. Crowder was pretty upset by the idea of losing his starting role here, can't imagine he is thrilled to go to the bench there...

Re: Old friend Crowder moved to the Bench
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 06:14:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 06:23:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
His box scores were pretty anemic. Not surprised.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I doubt he’ll be happy, but I think it’ll be easier for him to accept coming off the bench behind LeBron than it would have been to come off the bench in Boston.  Supposedly he was willing to take a bench role if we got Durant.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
This is basically admitting that Thompson has no impact on the team when he comes off the bench and that the Love center experiment was a complete failure. That team is actually worse on defense this season believe it or not. Can you name a worse defensive backcourt?

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't feel bad for millionaires that bounce a ball for a living. He belongs on a bench on a real contending team though

No, he doesn’t. He’s a top-15 SF.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:41 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Dang...this Cavs team looks so vulnerable. Until IT comes back, it's a toss up for best in the East. LeBron somehow hasn't lost a step yet, but Kevin Love is having a horrific shooting start to the season. 42% from the field, 24% from 3. Lue low key throwing LeBron under the bus for starting Love at center.

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Now he will realize how much Steven's system really covered up his weaknesses and maximized his strength.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:13:29 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
To me, this speaks more about Tyronn Lue.

He's just not a great head coach (kind of overrated).

Humble guy with a great personality, but again, he's just not really a great coach IMO. Looks clueless most of the time and looks like he can't figure out how to use and maximize Crowder's talent and skillset like Stevens could.

Yeah Lue has a ring but come on, give Brad Stevens Lebron James on his team and he would have a ring too (maybe more).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 07:17:18 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
So, the stats said Jae wasn't good when he played the 4 for us in small spurts, how did they think he could do it full time?

Oh well, it is what it is. Go Celts and CBS!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 07:19:48 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I disagree.  I think he has been in a slow decline the last two years.   I think while his shooting got better his athleticism began to fade.   He masked his decline by turning into primarily a spot up shooter.  When he first got here he played SG and was physically able to defend the position and he just overpowered opposing defenders. He spent a lot of time at the 4 last year where he could use his strength and positioning to D-up opposing PFs, except that the 6'9/6'10 guys with a shot, just shot over him.  He probably isn't fast enough to hang with athletic 3s anymore, especially if they have hight on him.

Oh, and NBA.com doesn't think much of him this year.

http://stats.nba.com/players/traditional/?sort=PTS&dir=-1&Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&PlayerPosition=F

I couldn't get it to only list SF but listing just Forwards Crowder ranks 79th right now.  Now the list clearly has a wide pool as Jaylen Brown is #16, Al Horford is #21 and Tatum is #35. 

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

coming off the bench for a contender sounds about right for a 12-15 range small forward
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
To me, this speaks more about Tyronn Lue.

He's just not a great head coach (kind of overrated).

Humble guy with a great personality, but again, he's just not really a great coach IMO. Looks clueless most of the time and looks like he can't figure out how to use and maximize Crowder's talent and skillset like Stevens could.

Yeah Lue has a ring but come on, give Brad Stevens Lebron James on his team and he would have a ring too (maybe more).

Lebron have ego. Unless their GM is Danny Ainge o, LeGM will actually run that organization as long as he is there. Blatt tried to tame the beast inside Lebron and it got him fired.

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

coming off the bench for a contender sounds about right for a 12-15 range small forward

Most contenders have above-average starting SFs coming off their bench?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Usually not, but the problem is Crowder is a 3 and D guy. And Cleveland plays a lot of ISO, which he's really weak at.He can't create for himself, and Clevelan seems that they don't know how to use spot up shooters well. IT's why Crowder excelled in Boston.

Him being in the top 15 shows how week the SF spot it right now, also that some guys like Wiggins and Thompson who have SF size but playing SG.  But I wouldn't have been surprised if Crowder has stayed here, Brown and Tatum would have surpassed him by the end of the season.